Poll

Which title are you DEFINITELY picking up with your 3DS?

The Sims 3
0 (0%)
Nothing. The 3DS launch lineup is complete and utter garbage.
5 (6.8%)
Pilot Wings Resort
17 (23%)
Steel Diver
7 (9.5%)
Pro Evoloution Soccer 2011 3D
1 (1.4%)
Nintendogs + Cats
0 (0%)
Super Monkey Ball 3D
7 (9.5%)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
3 (4.1%)
Madden NFL Football
0 (0%)
Asphalt 3D
0 (0%)
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
0 (0%)
Bust-A-Move Universe
2 (2.7%)
Ridge Racer 3D
3 (4.1%)
Rayman 3D
1 (1.4%)
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
3 (4.1%)
I'm strapped for cash so the included AR games and software is enough for now.
5 (6.8%)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
17 (23%)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: March 27, 2011, 02:27:26 PM

Author Topic: So...what launch title(s) are you picking up with your 3DS?  (Read 22321 times)

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
So...what launch title(s) are you picking up with your 3DS?
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
                 Well, in 3 weeks the Nintendo 3DS will be upon us and I'm curious as to what the NWR community will pick up (if anything) when they purchase their 3DS.  Reading impressions and opinions on various forums and listening to a myriad of podcasts from different outlets, it seems many people are not too hot on the launch lineup.

Personally, this is the most expensive launch line up I've ever been apart of because there are A LOT of games that I am interested in and want to buy with the system.  I've bought/recieved many Nintendo systems day 1 or during their launch period (gamecube, DS, N64, Wii). I've never ran into a situation where I had to whittle down my software purchases because there were too many games at launch that I was really interested in.  Maybe this is only a reflection of my personal gaming palette, but I'm quite happy with the 3DS' launch lineup.  I'd rather have too many games that I'm interested in buying with my new system than only 1 or 2 super high profile games along with a bunch of launch shovelware for choices to enjoy the hardware.

One thing I've read/heard many times is people asking where is Mario?

Really :Q ? Because we don't know what or how a Mario game plays like?

Mario games will ALWAYS sell jillions and be really great, but what I personally want from a new Nintendo hardware launch is a new IP with a chance to shine without being in the shadow of another Mario Megaton.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely ADORE Mario games and I'm wicked excited to see what they have in store for us with the upcoming Super Mario 3DS.  But imagine if they released that as a launch title?

"OMG YES!! DAY 11111 3DS ALL OVER MY FACE!!!"

I'm sure that would be the response a lot of people would give (me included  ;) ).  But then what about games like Steel Diver and Pilot Wings Resort? Both are new Nintendo IP's that are interesting enough for me that I'm picking them up day one, but would get absolutely buried by a more popular known quantity in a Mario launch game.

I'm not saying wanting a Mario game at launch for the 3DS is a bad thing or that it wouldn't help sell the system to the expanded audience.  But why do gaming enthusiasts need a Mario game at launch to convince them to get a 3DS when there are fresh/refreshed Nintendo IP's at launch to experience? To each their own opinion as my gaming tastes do not coincide with others and that's okay.  This was just a curious observation I've made and I really do hope that these 2 Nintendo franchises in particular get their opportunity to shine.

Anyway, I'm picking up SSF4:3D Editon, Pilot Wings Resort, and Steel Diver at launch.  Sometime later, I'm picking up Rayman 3D (I loved Rayman 2 on N64 and only got through like half of it on a rental) and (depending on reviews) Super Monkey Ball 3D and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars.

Oh yeah, and Ridge Racer  ;D .

What about you folks?

(No disrespect to Ragna's Lineup thread. If this thread is too redundant, mods can take it down.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:53:34 PM by Razorkid »
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Gameboy Freak

• View Profile
Re: So...what launch title(s) are you picking up with your 3DS?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
Even though I pre-ordered the 3DS. I am not going to get any of the launch games because none of them interest me at all. My first 3DS game will be Ocarina of Time 3D, which is the reason I pre-ordered the system to begin with. Even though I have 4 different versions of that particular game.  ;D

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
I can respect that  :D

Before the launch day lineup was finalized, I pre-ordered my 3DS because I knew that there are gonna be games that I want to play on it coming out by summer time and I didn't want to end up in a situation where I had to work inordinately hard just to buy a system.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
You left Pilotwings Resort out of the poll.

GF, were you the one that voted they are garbage? The launch lineup is great for me. I plan to get Street Fighter, Piltowings, Monkey Ball, maybe LEGO.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
Woops :Q !

Fixed  ;D

Offline Gameboy Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
You left Pilotwings Resort out of the poll.

GF, were you the one that voted they are garbage? The launch lineup is great for me. I plan to get Street Fighter, Piltowings, Monkey Ball, maybe LEGO.

Guilty as charged. Ain't I a stinker!  ;)

I did not necessarily think they were garbage, but just none of them hold my interest.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
That's OK. If you are not interested in the launch games, then you are not interested.

I can't remove my vote (voted before Pilotwings was in the poll), no big deal though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
I voted for SSF4, SMB 3D, and Steel Diver. That does not mean I will get all 3. They're just potential purchases.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
Super Street Fighter 4
Steel Diver
Ridge Racer

Those are three games I currently have ordered. I wish Dead or Alive was coming out on launch day or I'd get that instead of SSF4 but oh well.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
I voted for PilotWings, Ghost Recon, and Pro Evo since those are the most likely purchases for me, but I could end up buying several of the others, and might not buy all the ones I picked if they get bad reviews.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
I voted for Super Monkey Ball 3D, which I have ordered already, and also voted for Pilotwings. It will probably be a buy unless there really is only Wuhu Island to explore.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
It's funny you mention DOA. I was always curious about the series but never owned a console that it was released on.  Now that I have a propensity to play fighters on the go, I'm definitely picking it up when it releases.

I'm curious for the reasoning behind everyones launch choices.

I'm grabbing Street Fighter because the last version of this game I bought was Street Fighter Anniversary on PS2 to play Street Fighter 3.  I rented the original SF4 a couple years ago and am glad I held off on purchasing it till now  ;D .

Pilot Wings Resort looks like a fun and relaxing game that I'll want to 100% and is the sequel to a series that I'm only now curious to discover what the fuss is about because of the Wii Resort and Mii wrapper.

Finally, I have Steel Diver as the only mystery entity in my lineup. It reminds of In The Hunt, this old 2D side scrolling arcade game that came out in the 90's.  Anyway, because it's a new Nintendo ip AND a launch title, I'm going to take a chance on it.  The visuals and game play interests me mildly, but with the Nintendo touch, I'm preparing myself to be surprisingly engaged.  Who'da thunk Endless Ocean would be a great game?

Offline Gameboy Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »
Since there seems to  be a lot of fighters coming out for the system. Is there anybody here besides me hoping they release a port or semi sequel to the new Mortal Kombat game?

In all honesty I would pick up Super Street Fighter 4 if I was actually any good at that series. I seem to be better at King of Fighters than I am Street Fighter.

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
Actually I was thinking the exact same thing! I really do hope they release it on 3DS because although I am very interested in the game itself ( I absolutely loved the first 2 Mortal Kombats) I have no interest in picking up a console version as I don't have the time to just sit in front of the tv to learn a fighting game like I did when I was a kid.

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »
I'm not great with fighting games. I even suck a bit at Smash Bros but I like that I can button mash to a degree and still have fun. Honestly the single player mode and online were the primary reasons I got Brawl since I don't have anyone locally to play with anymore. The last Street Fighter game I owned and played to any degree was Street Fighter EX3 on the PS2 and I played against the AI only. Before that it was Street Fighter 2: Turbo I think.  I'm long over due for another chance at the series.

The primary reasons I'm getting SSF4 and DoA when they comes out is that they look to be the best games graphically and action wise on the 3DS at the moment. That the control schemes will make them easy to get into and there will be online play make them must buys for me.

Ridge Racer. I want a racing game and this looks like fun. Not as good looking as I hoped but I wanted something different from the Mario Kart game that is to come.

Steel Diver is the most interesting and a big unknown to me. The idea of submarine gameplay has peaked my interest. It being a Shigeru Miyamoto headed game makes it stand out. I have no idea if I'll hate it or like but I'm willing to take the chance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:37:20 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
Steel Diver is the most interesting and a big unknown to me. The idea of submarine gameplay has peaked my interest. It being a Shigeru Miyamoto headed game makes it stand out. I have no idea if I'll hate it or like but I'm willing to take the chance.

I'm in the same camp and am looking forward to the gamble.  Because it's such a unique title, I'm not gonna trust the impressions of others to base my decision of the game.  I've missed out initially on a few games on Wii simply because people didn't like the type of game/use of system capabilities that was apart of the software.  Outside of reviews stating the game is outright broken (being a Nintendo 1st party game, I don't expect that to be the case), I'm not gonna take those into consideration either. 

If there is one thing I've learned from this current generation, it's to try the games/system for yourself and not take anyone's opinion as gospel (even if you trust them) if you have a real interest in it.  Now more than ever it appears that people's experience of new hardware/software (especially Nintendo's) varies wildly from person to person.  The 3DS and any unique games coming to it in particular are going to continue to push that truth home.   

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »
This has pretty much been my stance for a while now. I usually look at reviews or previews to get an idea of what the game is like. Short of it being broken I let how interested I am decide if I buy the game or not. Some outlets have more credibility with me even on that regard. Nintendo Power for one but I try to stay away from gaming outlets like IGN, etc. To much information can be a bad thing I find and unfortunately can influence your opinion in a negative way.

Steel Diver does seem like a game I'll have to play for myself. I do hope there is a decent amount of content to it though. That's what I'm mainly waiting to see from previews/reviews.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
I am leaning heavily towards Pilotwings, even though the early reviews are indicating Wuhu is the only island in the game, but that is offset a bit by what seems to be plenty of new things to do that maybe it won't be so bad.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
I voted for none/garbage. None of these games are worth the $300 it would cost to play them.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »
Where you you get $300 from? Even if you count the price of the system in (which you can't, because that would be like asking "is Super Mario Galaxy 2 worth $250?"), most/all will be $40.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 12:37:14 AM »
Tax?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 03:59:20 AM »
Tax.

Also, I'd say the Mario Galaxy games are worth $250. :P
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Razorkid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I get it :) I wouldn't want to plunk down the cash for a system if there wasn't anything I was interested in playing neither (outside of maybe shortage concerns).

But then a lot of my gaming is done portably so I'm more invested in grabbing this versus say a new console. Everyones mileage will vary.

It's funny. I don't know if it's the cheaper than console price tag, portable nature, or a general lower expectation of handheld software, but I find myself wanting to try different types of games for 3DS that I would give short shrift to on my console/pc.

To that end, I want to know some people's draw to the Samurai Warriors/musou type games. To sit for hours in front of a tv with the thing seems like a waste of time, but to take a decent version outside portably suddenly makes me curious as to what the fans get out of it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
I'm not sold on any of them. Maybe if the reviews are positive. I'm mostly interested in the 3DS as a way of replacing my DSi with something that has working shoulder buttons while replacing my mother's DS Phat with one that has an unscratched touchscreen (she doesn't need the right shoulder button in the types of games she plays). I'd likely end up buying a 3DS down the road anyway.

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
You know, even though I'm one of the lucky ones to get a 3DS not too long ago, there still are some games that are being released at launch in the States that I want! Namely Steel Diver and Pilotwings. The concept of Steel Diver just seems interesting and unique, which for me, is nearly reason to plunk down the money for it. Pilotwings, well, it just looks like it could be fun. I got to play a little bit of it at Nintendo World back in January, and it was enjoyable. I have to wait until April 14th to get it here in Japan, though.

Another game that I kind of want to play on the 3DS is the new Lego Star Wars game. I have no clue when they're going to release it here in Japan, but being a fan of the previous Lego Star Wars games and a fan of the animation, I kinda want to try it out. Alas, I'll have to wait.
Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report