Author Topic: Aztez (aztec themed 2d brawler) coming to Wii U  (Read 4257 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Aztez (aztec themed 2d brawler) coming to Wii U
« on: March 18, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »
http://aztez.com/blog/2014/03/17/aztez-consoles-ps4-vita-xbox-one/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QM907YULA

One of the developers also has amazing blog with well done analysis of brawler/beat-em-up genre, spanning from Battletoads to Bayonetta. I highly recommend reading a few of his articles on the subject.

On the more academic side he wrote:
I also recommend reading his combat analysis articles where he picks apart combat systems of the most recent beat-em-up games, such as MGR, DMC, Ryse and others.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Aztez (aztec themed 2d brawler) coming to Wii U
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:51 AM »
I'm intrigued.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:59:30 AM »
Looks pretty cool, but like MadWorld, black and white can be hard to look at when the action gets intense. A gold/tan-based look would look a lot better IMO.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
I like the beat em up aspect. Need more 2D games that aren't platformers.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Color me intrigued!

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:53:11 AM »
Streams has crossed and one of my go-to experts in beat'em up genre, Saur, is previewing Aztez which is made by the second expert (Ben Ruiz, i gave links to his articles in the first post):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrY6r7RaXIk

Aztez is looking good. Definitely closer in gameplay to Bayonetta in 2d than to Viewtiful Joe (thankfully for me).

The game is described as a mashup of turn based strategy and beat'em'up which is weird and slightly worrying because i don't see much information about strategy element and wonder why it's even there to begin with when beat'em'up elements looks solid enough to carry entire game by it's own.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:13:24 AM »
Game is out on Steam:

At this point it's more likely it will come out on Switch.

Regardless i boguht the game and it's pretty cool. I only had a chance to play it work PC first 2 days so i was using keyboard controls. Game sets Up for jump by default and it breaks the game because you can't make launching moves with Up+attack -- you just jump instead. It's fixable by rebinding space to jump.

Last night i had time to play the game at home with controller and then it really clicked. Really satisfying combat and controls are very easy, simplistic even.

Main campaign mode with conquering Mexico feels a bit tacked on top of of main attraction -- combat. I guess they thought a game with just one arena and you fighting waves of mobs wouldn't fly with todays gamers and you need some kind of progression no matter how unnecessary it feels.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:18:27 AM by azeke »

Offline azeke

• View Profile

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 02:43:16 AM »
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/19/indie-games-steam-fail-aztez-developer-interview

I don't really follow the indie scene (and outside of Civilization, I really don't follow or know what is happening in the realm of PC and Steam) so I'd never heard of this game before despite you having created a thread for it years ago and even bumping it a few months. (Not noticing the bump bothers me.) However, I really enjoyed that article and found the whole history and story behind this game pretty intriguing by learning just how the indie scene has been changing and the difficulties facing people making these games. Thanks for the link!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
That article was a decent lil' insight into the struggles of being an indie developer. Aztez looks like a cool game, I would've picked this up on Wii U. Probably will if it makes Switch and I buy one of those in a few years.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 10:51:08 PM »
Well going by the GoNintendo headline about that article, it sounds fairly certain that will come to the Switch in the next few months.  https://gonintendo.com/stories/293496-aztez-devs-aiming-to-release-the-game-on-switch-by-jan-feb-2018