Author Topic: vita memory cards?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
vita memory cards?
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:13 AM »
So frustrated tonight. I've been on a big digital pinball kick, and always use my PSTV to get a quick fix before bed... but today an odd error message showed up, and then the system reset and displayed an error when starting. It seems the memory card has gone completely corrupt - which essentially renders the system unplayable.

Tried all the online tips and tricks I could find after various reformat attempts. Nothing seems able to bring this back from the dead. What's even worse: I've got a sweet little shelf filled with Vita games that I was looking forward to playing, and now can't.

Whose idea was it to create these stupid proprietary memory cards? So expensive, hard to find, and (seemingly) low quality to boot since I've never seen an SD card just stop responding like this.

Part of this post is cathartic venting, but the other half is to see if anyone knows a good way to find a deal on Vita memory cards. I can only dream about a micro SD adapter, right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:04:04 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: vita memory cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
There is a fan-made microSD adapter, but it requires you to be on the right firmware with homebrew installed. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:51:43 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
There is a man-made microSD adapter, but it requires you to be on the right firmware with homebrew installed.

Saw this in the morning. Very interesting - slightly odd that it takes up your game card slot, which makes it less appealing for someone like me (who normally doesn't use homebrew and enjoys owning physical games). Still a huge step forward for the system though.

Got even more frustrated today when I find out many of the physical games I own are essentially unplayable without a memory card. There is 1 GB of on-board memory for PSTV, but apparently you can't use that to download any updates or save your games?

What a terrible design decision. If they had just used micro SD cards, it wouldn't be a big deal. Instead I'm left to worry and wonder whether it's better to invest in a new memory card or sell off what I own and move on. (The memory card becomes the weakest link in the whole system - expensive and uncommon, and any failure renders the system almost useless. Yuck! Not really worse than the Wii U Gamepad when you think about it... except for the fact that a proprietary memory card provides absolutely no unique or interesting features over other brands.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:03:35 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »
That Sony proprietary memory card crap is precisely why I've never bought Sony cameras or camcorders through the years. I get that it sounds great if you are a Sony businessman but it's absolutely lousy to a consumer. Not only are you at the whims of whatever Sony chooses to charge for these memory cards that no else makes but, to my recollection, they can't be used in other devices because of their design so they have very limited functionality. I'll just stick with companies that use the normal SD cards that are pretty much industry standard and Sony can make no sales then. No wonder the company has been going through troubled times particularly through the first half of this decade.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.