Author Topic: Which Civ game is the best entrypoint?  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Which Civ game is the best entrypoint?
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »
So since there's no giant open air world games coming out soon at all whatsoever, I've decided there's no worse better possible time to get into a giant strategy game than now.

I quite enjoyed Tropico 4, and the first Age of Empires back in the day. Soooo when I saw that Civilization has a couple of entries on sale right now, I figured yeah why not?

However I'd like to ask if anyone here has any experience with Civ4 and/or Civ5? I like the hex grid better from a visual standpoint, but have also read people think Civ4 is the highlight of the series (and it's cheaper).

Thoughts on which of the two would be the best for a newbie to the series? I'm leaning towards 4 currently since there's a complete version and it's less likely to throttle my pc lol.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Which Civ game is the best entrypoint?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
I've only played 5 and love it so I don't really know much about the other entries in the series. It also runs surprisingly well on my terrible laptop.

There is a civilization humble bundle going on now where for $1 you can get 3 and 4, $8.38 you can get the complete edition of 5 + all the above, and for $15 you can get Beyond Earth + all the above.

https://www.humblebundle.com/civilization-bundle
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:07:45 AM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »
I think for a lot of people, the "best CIV game" is the first one they play and get enamored with.  Which for me was CIV 2, which felt like such a complex game, but is now antiquated based on all the additional things theyve added to the series over time. 

I second TOPHATANT123, if you're interested, scoop up that bundle and pick a game to start with.  I'm up for mulitplayer sometime if you're looking for a partner for it, too.  You're not gonna get a better price for all those CIV games, although I'd suggest not worrying about paying enough to get the Beyond Earth games.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
Oh wow I hadn't even seen that bundle, they have a similar thing on steam with like a thousand DLC packs and whatnot on offer right now which is what I was eyeing. Thanks for the link!!!

Think I'll just go for the bundle for all three yeah, if Civ5 doesn't run on my PC it's not such a loss at these prices lol. Is Civ5 the one you guys use for multiplayer?

(Unrelated thought but Christ how do game developers even make money nowadays, feels like digital distribution is a real race-to-the-bottom. Not just on steam and these bundles, but I've gotten so many cheap download titles on Wii U as well.)

EDIT: kicked a few extra bucks to charity & the developer to stave off guilt.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:43:03 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »
These games have seen their peak sales years ago, I'm guessing the developers of these games are happy to see ANY income for these old editions.  Civ VI is probably where they get their income now.

I play IV and V.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
Started my Civilization career with Civ2. Liked it at the time and though I was quite an amateur at the game. It was about a year or two later that Civ3 came out. Through Civ3, I was able to learn to play Civ2 better but I liked Civ3 better aside from missing the Wonder videos. Civ3 was a big advance for the series and a lot of things introduced in it still carry over through the other entries.

Civ4 took Civ3 concepts and almost went overboard in trying to flesh them out. Unit promotions, worker improvements, and custom governments along with the sprawling tech tree can make the game pretty dense. I thought it would be rough for anyone learning Civilization for the first time through Civ3 for the first time with the size of its instruction manual and concepts but Civ4 seemed to be even more daunting. Despite my Civ3 experience, it took me awhile to really get a grip on a lot of the elements in the game. Some of them you can discard. Unit promotions, while an intriguing concept, generally revolved around selecting a couple of the same upgrades over and over. I played Civ4 for a bit though not as much as Civ3 which is my maximum exposure to the series.

Bought Civ5 when it came out and was intrigued by its new map concept to change how battles work but started playing a game and then paused it at some point and never got back to it. That's all I've played of Civ5. Over the past 4 - 5 years, haven't played anything of the Civ series. Been more focused on playing through games I've got for all my Nintendo systems. A few months back, I was listening to the Civ3 and 4 soundtracks on YouTube which gave me a big nostalgia for the games so I popped in Civ3 again which I have the most love for and played through that again. It was interesting going back to it since I was more use to Civ4 so there were certain actions and things I was trying to figure out how to do only to learn that the game didn't have them and the actions were a Civ4 feature. I was just playing for fun to remind myself of what the game was like and how it looked again but ended up having a really good start so I just kept playing and playing all through the ages.

Admittedly, it was just on warlord so the difficulty wasn't that great and by the end of the middle ages, I was the superior power and there just wasn't much threat to me. I stopped at the point I was invading the other major continent of the map and crushing their archers and medieval infantry with my bombers and tanks. I do enjoy blitzkrieging other nations like that in the end with either cavalry or tanks and taking multiple cities in a turn but the challenge is gone so victory is assured making it a bit harder to still care about the game. The experience has me contemplating playing a game of Civ4 as a refresher there and then finally giving Civ5 a shake.

Based on my experience, Civ3 would be a good starting point but with the changes that have been made since I say just dive into 5 or 6 and start learning with the current version. It would probably be faster than learning past versions and working your way up to the current iteration.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »
Civ V is probably the most approachable to a newcomer, and also my personal favorite game in the series (at least right now, we'll see where VI is a few years and a couple expansions from now). It's streamlined a bit from previous entries, particularly in the combat. You're definitely going to want at least the two major expansion packs, so that bundle is an incredible deal.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
Yeah, I've been considering buying the complete Civ5 myself since it's only about $20.00 off Amazon. If I ever want something else that's on sale but under the amount needed for free shipping, I'm think I might grab a copy then and give the game another go fully featured and with my favorite empire, the Byzantine Empire.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
Yeah, I've been considering buying the complete Civ5 myself since it's only about $20.00 off Amazon. If I ever want something else that's on sale but under the amount needed for free shipping, I'm think I might grab a copy then and give the game another go fully featured and with my favorite empire, the Byzantine Empire.
There's a joke in there somewhere. Something about "byzantine" being a synonym for "overly complicated" or "unfathomable".
But it's too intricate, elaborate, involved, sophisticated, knotty and tangled for li'l ol' me.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »

If you only played it right when it came out, you're in for a treat. Civ V with both expansions is a very different and much, much better game. That was true of IV as well, and as I indicated in my post, I expect it to be true of VI. Big 4X games like this tend to evolve quite a bit via patches and expansions.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 10:32:12 PM »
Try Europa Universalis IV for a real man's strategy game!
Made you look ****.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »
I am rather partial to the art style in Civ IV. Started in Civ III, but once I got used to Civ IV It was hard to go back. Never got as much time in with 5 as I wanted, but it is a fine starting point for the series.

I'd go with the humble bundle as that is a great deal for all of those games.

Speaking of Civ, we really need to get around to playing an NWR match. My vote if for Civ V. We could try that "via email" method of multiplayer.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
I would totally be down for an NWR Civ game.  CIV 5 is probably the best option, I'm guessing.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 04:55:54 PM »
In spite of owning a crap-ton of post Civ 2 Civ, 2 was the last one I really *played* hard core.... but damn, I'm so old...   Started on Civ 1.

Heck, if you want to count it, I got started on Civilization 0.5, but never made the connection until many years later.

These new Civs are for real cool, but Civ 1 still shines best for me.  I wish I'd ever really got the chance to play that copy of CivNET I picked up years ago

http://m.imgur.com/a/U4rwB

I think lolmonade said it best - whichever one you played first is the best.  Us old schoolers can usually appreciate the new ones though - while new players will play Civ 1 for about three turns before shrugging their shoulders and going back to the new stuff.

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »
Definitely Civ 5. the change in the combat system takes care of the death stack problem and allows a militarily weaker player to achieve wins where you couldn't before.

The rest is pretty standard Civ fair but the initial release was very bare bones.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
So anyone want to get in on an NWR Civ match? I'll be off of work next Sat the 12th. Other than a wedding in the afternoon I could play all day.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
Europa Univalis the best :P:
Made you look ****.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
So anyone want to get in on an NWR Civ match? I'll be off of work next Sat the 12th. Other than a wedding in the afternoon I could play all day.

So how does this work exactly, you mentioned per e-mail? I'd be down to try, do have an appointment in the afternoon for a couple of hours including travel but sounds like it might work. Maybe we should make a thread though to get some more people in, because I've only tried Civ 5 for a couple of turns so I'd be a terrible pushover opponent haha.