Author Topic: External Harddrive Issues on Wii U  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Spenczar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
External Harddrive Issues on Wii U
« on: January 27, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
I recently decided it was time to connect my HDD to my Wii U for storage space, as I prefer digital to physical.  I downloaded Darksiders 2 straight to the Wii and dear god that ate space up.  For reference reasons I'm using a toshiba branded 500 gig HDD.  After I plugged in and formatted the thing the Wii U started to act a bit wonky.  It's taking ages to exit a game to console menu through the home button, it takes evolutionary periods to go from the console menu to the settings and some games take about as long as the rise and fall of the roman empire to even load up.  These games aren't on the harddrive either, they're either on-disc or downloaded onto the Wii U.  If that wasn't enough everytime I load up Darksiders 2 the game weirds out on me.  I know Darksiders 2 is a bit buggy and glitch filled to begin with but this is just strange.  When I trotted my little green horse out into the open world section half of the map was just gone.  I figure maybe just part of the map hadn't "blimped" in yet and started to ride towards it. I hoped it would load or at least the textures might not have loaded.  Nope, I fell. And fell. And fell. And finally, fell some more. Until I got off the horse where death promptly died and took me back to the tree of life.  I rode out again and the process repeated.  It was like bad shampoo.  I unplugged the harddrive and everything runs fine. 
Help me, Obi-Won. 
3DS friend code: 1418-6713-1779
Message me if you've added me. :]

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: External Harddrive Issues on Wii U
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
Does the hard drive have its own external power supply?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Spenczar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »
No, it doesn't.  I assume that's the problem?
3DS friend code: 1418-6713-1779
Message me if you've added me. :]

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:54:32 AM »
Yeah, the Wii U doesn't work so well with USB-powered drives, though you might try using a USB Y-cable to see if you can deliver enough power to make the drive work properly.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
What about normal USB flash drives?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »
They should work, but Nintendo doesn't recommend those because it does a lot of data writing that can shorten the life of the drive. In practice, I don't know how much of a concern that is.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 02:34:57 AM »
They should work, but Nintendo doesn't recommend those because it does a lot of data writing that can shorten the life of the drive. In practice, I don't know how much of a concern that is.

With the price of flash drive falling you could easily upgrade to a bigger flash drive by the time the one working with the Wii U wears out.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.