Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
ARMS
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
This ain't a scene, it's an ARMS race.

Anyways, last night on the RFN Aftershow which now seems to be up on the site as RFN505, Syrenne McNulty came on the show and said ARMS was legit. That conversation got me more hyped up for Arms than Nintendo's presentation did. That said, the video from the presentation did intrigue me with the skill and strategy they demonstrated in trying to land a punch on your opponent. This isn't Wii Boxing. This is something way more advanced and I could totally see this being a great game to play in multiplayer with someone else in the room.

My only issue with it is just how deep the experience would be in single-player. It seemed like something that would be great in a compilation a la Wii Sports or Mario Sports Mix but as a game on its own I'm not sure it will be worth the price Nintendo is asking. Moreover, if it is more multiplayer focused then you'll probably need to play it over the internet for online matches to get the most value out of it in which case you now need to pay for the online service to get the most use out of it and I'm not ready to pay for Nintendo's online service yet.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:47:03 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Re: ARMS: Get your Virtua On!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
ARMS looked very nice. But from what I saw I don't know if it's a deep enough experience to warrant the $60 price tag.

That being said, I had the same concerns about Splatoon and look how that turned out.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by how satisfying the single player experience was in Splatoon, even if it did leave me wanting more. If ARMS can manage to mix in enough interesting ideas and maybe break away from its 1v1 playstyle like Splatoon did (maybe fighting in corridors or more interesting, varied boss-rush sorts of scenarios? With the freedom of movement, there's a lot of possbilities), I think it could definitely be worth the full price of entry.

The roster needs to double, though.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
I'll be keeping my eyes on Arms.  Like you all, i'm not sure how much play it'll get out of multiplayer in my house, so it's dependent on

1) How robust a single player is there?
2) Online vs?

I like the gameplay I see, though.  I think it looks really fun.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
I'm glad they're still making games with motion, however this particular game doesn't really appeal to me. The gameplay looks kind of interesting, but I'm just not into 1v1 type games.

Now, if this somehow has some sort of single-player mode... maybe.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
I'm kind of astonished that this isn't a pack-in game. That's to say nothing of the game's quality (I'll admit I wasn't that excited for it during the reveal, but I've warmed up to the concept after watching some of the Treehouse Live stuff this morning), but, sticking with the fighting game formula, it seems like it would have been easy for Nintendo to make a lot of money on this game anyway with paid DLC and it would have made the $300 price for Switch much more palatable.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
I'm glad they're still making games with motion, however this particular game doesn't really appeal to me. The gameplay looks kind of interesting, but I'm just not into 1v1 type games.

Now, if this somehow has some sort of single-player mode... maybe.

I'm with you there.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
The Treehouse stream showcases some of the depth and variety in 1v1 combat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU6pMr1BKec

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 02:36:39 AM »
Five characters seems a little light for a fighting game, I hope they add more.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
NOA has confirmed that the game will be fully playable with conventional button controls.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
Shame on whoever titled this thread.  I miss Virtua On, now  :(

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 12:45:42 PM »
Five characters seems a little light for a fighting game, I hope they add more.

In one of the interviews I read, when asked if there were more characters, the developer responded, "Of course."
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
Nice to see Nintendo launching more new IPs, hopefully Splatoon has showed them that it's a risk worth taking. ARMS doesn't look like a system-seller to me, but it might one of those games that you'll get eventually and find surprisingly fun?

Are those behind-the-character fighting games like Pokkén just the new way in which fighting games are made nowadays? Seems like it would strain the hardware right, since it needs to run two simultaneous camera angles whenever there's splitscreen?

I don't know anything about tech, or fighting games actually, so these may be entirely unfounded observations lol. Hope it turns out a winner!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »
Well, ARMS doesn't look all that graphically intensive, even in comparison with Pokken. But I think another aspect that will makes it perform better is the local multiplayer aspect- Pokken's way of managing non-split screen play was convoluted, but the portability of the Switch circumvents this.

Some interesting notes:
-The unique elements of characters seem to revolve around their movement options, with the only exception being Master Mummy's shielding gimmick, which allows him to regenerate health.
-Dashes and Jumps charge punches for a brief period. When charged, ARMS gain faster punch speed and secondary effects- the Toaster, Spring Man's default, causes knockdown and a burn effect. The Shocker, Ribbon Girl's default, causes both arms to become stunned, leaving characters open for a follow-up. Mummy Master's default both cancels opposing punches and continues to travel.
-During the Treehouse demo, it was confirmed that there will be additional weapon choices for characters outside the three stock choices featured. It's unsure if all characters will be able to use all ARMS, or if certain ARMS are relegated to certain weight classes. Master Mummy and Mechanica seem to be able to utilize heavy/large ARMS, for example, but Mechanica can also use Toasters.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:44 PM »
A recent Japanese video showed the unique elements of each fighter.
https://youtu.be/LTrMlFEPUcA

Spring Man has an auto guard when he executes a dash, and his punches become charged non-stop when at low health.
Ribbon Girl has a total of four jumps in mid air, which can be mixed in any number of ways. She also appears to have a jump-cancel that allows her to advance on characters that have missed her.
Ninjara has a unique dodge animation that allows him to avoid damage completely by disappearing. He can use this to gain a frame advantage on enemies when in close combat.
Master Mummy has super armor and does not become stunned by uncharged hits. He also regains health, as mentioned before.
Mechanica has a hover mode upon executing a jump, and gains Super armor while airborne.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »
ARMS

ARMS

BIFF

POW!

The confirmation of a 2v2 mode is immensely exciting to me, as doubles in any tournament setting is a welcome addition and I can only imagine the team-building elements one could implement in player customization. There's some great new details revealed for the game, as well as a single new fighter, which surprised me quite a bit. All-in-all, I can imagine that the roster will max out at about 10-12 fighters, as they don't seem all that eager to drop a number of new combatants into the mix. However, the explanation for Minmin was extremely dense- she seems to have a pair of the most unique character gimmicks in the game. The importance of understanding a character's abilities might be key to ARMS, which may lead to a slow trickle of information about new fighters. Indeed, when attempting to introduce a completely new kind of 3D fighter to the consumer, you might want to take the time to explain the character variety.

The ARMS currency/acquisition system seems simplistic enough, and gives me a trophy rush/coin fire/slot machine sort of feel a la Super Smash Bros.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
I'm getting some really nice Overwatch vibes from the character design. So far everything has been good but I'm still not really sold on this. It need either a demo or a beta to try and build up some good buzz.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
I think it's important to recognize what this is: an attempt by Nintendo to make a dedicated 3D fighting game. If you're not a fan of those types of games, you probably won't get much out of this game. In other words, if you're looking for a robust single-player mode, I think the best you might get is a mission mode like Soul Calibur 2 or Smash Bros, but that is likely the extent of it.

As recently reported, a watchful eye noticed two more character portraits on one of the screens!

It appears to be a female character and a robot! That brings the current total to 8.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
I think it's important to recognize what this is: an attempt by Nintendo to make a dedicated 3D fighting game. If you're not a fan of those types of games, you probably won't get much out of this game. In other words, if you're looking for a robust single-player mode, I think the best you might get is a mission mode like Soul Calibur 2 or Smash Bros, but that is likely the extent of it.

As recently reported, a watchful eye noticed two more character portraits on one of the screens!

It appears to be a female character and a robot! That brings the current total to 8.

I think you make a good point about what this is. but I also see it for what it also is: a competitive online fighting game.

Within a span of 3 months, the Switch will have an online racer, online fighter, and an online shooter. A triple crown of online games provided Nintendo finally does online well.

The only reason I am even remotely interested in ARMS is the prospect of a really good online atmosphere and community.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:07:24 PM by Agent-X- »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »
The only reason I am even remotely interested in ARMS is the prospect of a really good online atmosphere and community.

Pretty much this for me. Which makes the lack of news about the paid online even more baffling. Until I know more about that I'm not going to bother with Splatoon 2 or this game, regardless of how good they can be. But ARMS is looking pretty good and I do hope we can get a nice community around it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
Online communities can't be nice.

EDIT: Make that FOUR more characters, bringing our roster to 10!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:23:06 PM by Evan_B »

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
I'm still interested in the game.  There's an undeniable amount of polish, and as I suspected, there's more characters/arms under the surface than they initially showed.

I'm still a wait and see on the buy front though, it's largely dependent on how much of a grind there is to unlocking everything (I'll withhold judgement on in-game currency until it's confirmed whether it's reasonable or Street Fighter V level) and what different modes they've come up with.

Moreso than anything, though, this game needs a demo.  How movement feels, how varied each fighter's movements are, and the difficulty curve of getting good at characters is pretty important to me in a game like this, and I won't have any clue how much I'll get out of Arms until I get some hands-on time.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
The announcement of a 2v2 mode certainly has me more interested in this game. I hope there's some good teamplay to be had.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
Honestly, this latest trailer has pretty much sold me on ARMS and yet, I'm still hesitant about it because I'm not much on an online player. Thus, I'd still be worried about how fun or interesting it would be in single player. Yet, this is the first game that has me interested in maybe trying to get into some online matches. It was mentioned a little bit before on the possibilities of the Smash Bros. formula being shaken up a bit and ARMS is starting to feel like that shake-up. It's a really neat spin on the fighting formula and even though I'm not big into fighter games aside from Smash Bros., this one is really beginning to appeal to me. If I had to choose one game only to play online game between MK8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2, I'm choosing ARMS.

I'm with Evan_B. ARMS is now the most exciting game being released after BotW.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
I WIN!