Author Topic: Switch Discussion Thread (Year 3: But where are the folders??!?!)  (Read 273769 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch Pre-Release Discussion (March 2017)
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »
DeNA will be involved with Nintendo's account system, not necessarily making games for Switch.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
I just thought of something else. With MS and Sony both releasing half-step upgrades but still requiring the base units to be sold, this being slightly less than Xbox One but still close enough is a good thing for Nintendo to get 3rd party parity. If MS and Sony are expecting this generation to last a little longer Nintendo effectively comes in at the right starting point where there are plenty of good games to port over and developers are comfortable with it.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
A lot of people are salty on the idea of taking their console outside. And yes, a lot of what was shown on the trailer will not happen. You're not going to take your Switch to the pickup courts. But thinking rationally Nintendo just made it super easy to play your console games in any room of your house while eliminating the technological tether that was holding the Wii U GamePad back. Want to take the console to your room? balcony? backyard? office? bathroom? bathtub? Go right ahead, Nintendo just made it possible.

I'm already working on my friend whose only gaming interests are FIFA and Madden. I'm hoping to convert him with the NBA game. The portability will let me demo it for him in his house, lol. At worst, I'll be able to easily take it over there even if I don't sell him on his own system.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »
I can see Switch doing 3DS numbers if Nintendo doesn't price it out of acceptability. I'd like to see it no more than $300 with the dock.
That is what I just said. The SNES sold about 55 million, isn't the 3DS sitting around there too or has it climbed higher than that? I was saying that is the minimum, the bar has been set. It will easily do higher I think, maybe as high as 90 million if they keep the games coming quick enough.
Yeah, I was totally just agreeing with you, dude. Nice post though.
DeNA will be involved with Nintendo's account system, not necessarily making games for Switch.
I'm impressed that EA and Bethesda are on there. If Nintendo and Bethesda really want to make a splash, Skyrim (and I presume this is the Special Edition) should be no more than $30.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »

Still, pretty good news.  Mobile account should be syncing up with the console pretty smoothly out the gate, right?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
The dock is far too thick to only be a connection to the tv. The side view is almost 3x as thick as the switch itself. It has to be doing some processing.

When the video first started I thought I heard a ringtone and was like...oh **** its a phone!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:17:57 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
Close-up of the Joy-Con.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:06 PM »
Seeing Square Enix and Silicon Studio on that list of developers reminds me that Square Enix teased some news for the Bravely Series about a week and a half ago, and haven't said anything about it since. If they were teasing Bravely Third and it was a 3DS game, I would think they would have wanted to get out in front of this news with an announcement, so maybe Bravely Third for Nintendo Switch? It would certainly be nice to have some new JRPGs on the system early.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
I agree regarding the dock, but assuming every last detail that Emily Rogers reported is true, then this whole package tops out at just below Xbox One power. I'm not incredibly enthused. Still missing from any rumor or teaser is glasses-free 3D. Not a must-have but considering Nintendo pioneered and perfected it, it would be oddly missing from a portable experience.

I would still like for them to consider a bit of future proofing in this concept. I just hate to think that the competition is already 1.5x ahead of their original PS4 and Xbox One offerings. To think that this package might not even keep pace with the Xbox One is worrying when it comes to 3rd Party support.

Still, I expect 3rd Party support to be light years ahead of Wii U.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »
Opinion time!

I really think Nintendo nailed the messaging for the Switch. With Sony and Microsoft focusing their efforts on competing with the PC space, Nintendo's best option was to appeal to the middle ground of gamers not interested in a technological arms-race and those in the casual sphere. In addition, it may have gained some respect from hardcore gamers.

"Can you play beautiful console-designed versions of Skyrim, Zelda and NBA 2k on your phone? You can't, but with Switch you can and you will."

Of course that's only part of the equation. Now they need to nail the pricing, the online details and the games. You need to win over those developers who aren't on the official list yet.

Also, Splatoon is trending worldwide on Twitter even though it was practically an afterthought in the trailer. Switch already has a killer-app in Japan.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
I agree regarding the dock, but assuming every last detail that Emily Rogers reported is true, then this whole package tops out at just below Xbox One power. I'm not incredibly enthused. Still missing from any rumor or teaser is glasses-free 3D. Not a must-have but considering Nintendo pioneered and perfected it, it would be oddly missing from a portable experience.

I would still like for them to consider a bit of future proofing in this concept. I just hate to think that the competition is already 1.5x ahead of their original PS4 and Xbox One offerings. To think that this package might not even keep pace with the Xbox One is worrying when it comes to 3rd Party support.

Still, I expect 3rd Party support to be light years ahead of Wii U.

Graphically I was worried too that this would be left out in a few years but this think will consume Japan. So if we can get a portable Monster hunter game that has quality even close to the XboxOne (which ain't chopped liver at all) then I think this can survive the market.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
My roomate got a Tablet around the same time as I got a Wii U. This does all the things his tablet can do, it pretty much is like a powershell for a smart phone. So, its offerings in function are really not that different then things already on the market.

I want to see more info on games, and maybe some info on specs. Also, a demonstration by meda sites

Also, When can I go to Joy Con?:P

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:57:10 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »
No time to really chat about this now, sadly but just wanted to chime in and say, if it needs to be said:
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Looks tits. Can't wait for more.

Things I wonder about;
- how do you jump/drift in Mario Kart with that little sideways controller? Does it have a hidden trigger on the back like th Wiimote does? The shoulder buttons seem to be in thew wrong place when you hold the controller-half in a sideways position.

- return (continuation) of cartridges is great but I have also become a big fan of buying digitally. I wonder how that will be supported, especially "on the go"? The games look a little "bigger" in scope that most 3DS games. What's the storage solution? Can't carry my 2TB Wii U hard drive around with me, though I do still have a lot of room on my 64GB micro SD card in my 3DS.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
Digital Foundry/Eurogamer takes a victory lap.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
Full List of Support Thus Far:

505 Games
Activision Publishing, Inc.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
ATLUS CO., LTD.
Audiokinetic Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Bethesda
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
Codemasters®
CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
Electronic Arts
Epic Games Inc.
Firelight Technologies
FromSoftware, Inc.
Frozenbyte
GameTrust
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
HAMSTER Corporation
Havok
INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc.
Marvelous Inc.
Maximum Games, LLC
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Parity Bit Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc.
RAD Game Tools, Inc.
RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Silicon Studio Corporation
Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Starbreeze Studios
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Telltale Games
THQ Nordic
Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
TT Games
UBISOFT
Ubitus Inc.
Unity Technologies, Inc.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Web Technology Corp

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-switch-official-pr-announcement-and-photo/
black fairy tales are better at sports

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
Its a safe bet to cross reference everything the Nvidia Shield can do and fit it into the Switch. Being that this is a newer chip and guaranteed to have more and faster RAM.

https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:30:28 PM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Chcking out Media outlets. Reddit is positive about Switch. Youtube is Negative(general youtube trolling crow i'd say). I haven't checked Facebook yet.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
What about memory? There are some usb ports (I think at least) on the right side of the dock, so expanding your capacity maybe possible, but I'm most concerned, or at least simply wondering, how much memory the tablet will have. Maybe they'll allow you to use your own flash card to store your games.

What do you guys think?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2016, 01:35:10 PM »
To me, the games looked more like tech demo / proof of concept stuff, and some reused some assets from Wii U games to make them easier to produce. Though, the Mario platformer looked closer to an actual game than Mario Kart and Splatoon did. I'm still going to need to know a lot more about the games before I can get excited and have much to say.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »
The dock is far too thick to only be a connection to the tv. The side view is almost 3x as thick as the switch itself. It has to be doing some processing.

When the video first started I thought I heard a ringtone and was like...oh **** its a phone!!

It's a good size for a hard drive.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 01:43:53 PM »
What about memory? There are some usb ports (I think at least) on the right side of the dock, so expanding your capacity maybe possible, but I'm most concerned, or at least simply wondering, how much memory the tablet will have. Maybe they'll allow you to use your own flash card to store your games.

What do you guys think?

Its a safe bet that digital games will be able to save to a SD card. Now if you're asking if that SD card will play in another Switch, nope. There are 2 visible USB ports on the S.Dock (Gotta support GameCube Controllers for Smash) I would think there is at least 1 more usb port on the back along with HDMI  2.0 (4K) Gigabit Ethernet, SD Slot and one more unknown port.

8 GB of RAM MIN.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »
I'll just buy a new HDD when Switch comes out. By then a decent sized HDD will be pretty cheap. The average 1TB HDD will be the cost of a game by March.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
I'd hit that Switch! It is truly an AND console and three pillars all in one. Every time it comes out of the dock it will remind you of Iwata pulling the Revolution from his jacket. *tchk!*

My only concerns are that the tiny NES style controls look even more cramped, and that trying to explain how to get controllers configured, unhooked, and synced up for multiplayer could be frustrating to nongamers.

Footage of the new Mario in motion.

I see Sonic rings. Wouldn't mind a Mario v. Sonic platformer or they could make him Amiibo unlockable in Super Mario 3D World 2. There's also a red heart (which has a glowy border like the one in SMB2) and a trio of purple hearts and springy wires like in Sunshine.

What's the storage solution? Can't carry my 2TB Wii U hard drive around with me, though I do still have a lot of room on my 64GB micro SD card in my 3DS.

No more constant patching, DLC, and system updates. Finish developing your effing games before release :reggie:

To me, the games looked more like tech demo / proof of concept stuff, and some reused some assets from Wii U games to make them easier to produce. Though, the Mario platformer looked closer to an actual game than Mario Kart and Splatoon did. I'm still going to need to know a lot more about the games before I can get excited and have much to say.

Agreed. The graphics looked no better than before.

If they combine this thing with something like Pokemon Go and Metroid it will truly be something unique and memorable, despite the weaker hardware. Switch-on the next Revolution :mario:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
There was actually a rumor a bit back that they were prepping a Mario Kart 8.5 for release early in the console's lifecycle, that would have all the MK8 tracks, DLC, and another 4 cups (the equivalent of the first DLC for a game twice as big as the original retail release).

Mario looks pretty ace, should be awesome. Don't give a **** about Skyrim and Basketball, but good on them.

Price is going to be really interesting on this one. I'll probably trade in my New 3DS toward a pre-order if I can get the launch price to ~$200.

I'll probably never use the portable multiplayer stuff (or use it as a portable much at all). That JoyCon Megazord controller looks pretty goony, though. I'm assuming it'll feel fine in the hand, but she is an eyesore.

Also, looks like nothing about how the charging works. Is it done wirelessly in the cradle, like an electric toothbrush? Can you plug in the tablet?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:07:04 PM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2016, 02:11:38 PM »
If they combine this thing with something like Pokemon Go and Metroid it will truly be something unique and memorable, despite the weaker hardware. Switch-on the next Revolution :mario:

That reminds me. What the hell is RETRO making?

Also, let me give props to the logo and the "snapping" sound. Both are instantly recognizable after one trailer. The logo is a play on yin and yang, which in the gaming market could represent both handheld and console; it's a nice touch. The name is probably the worst part, but at least it's clear; and a clear break from Nintendo's predecessors.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:13:54 PM by Stogi »