Author Topic: Rumor: 10-12 Million Units Of New Hardware From Nintendo Next Year  (Read 8734 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Reminder: That's shipped to suppliers, not consumers.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/41578/rumor-10-12-million-units-of-new-hardware-from-nintendo-next-year

Some members of the supply chain may have begun floating shipment numbers for new Nintendo hardware to release in 2016.

According to the Taiwanese newspaper DigiTimes, the new system would enter production at the end of the 1st quarter of 2016 - whether fiscal (April - June) or calendar (January - March) is not specified - and would ship between 10 and 12 million units in the first year.

The sources also indicated that Chinese manufacturer Foxconn, most famous for developing the iPhone, has been tapped to manufacture the device but the company is not commenting. There is also no indication as to what form factor the products would take.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Re: Rumor: 10-12 Million Units Of New Hardware From Nintendo Next Year
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
Begin manufacturing in summer, could mean an early Fall launch which would be great. I am putting NX and Xbox One both into wait and see mode. I want an Xbox One now, but if Nintendo announces some cool things with NX I might have to wait until next year before I invest in another console.

If they are planning on trying to sell that many consoles, even to retailers, in that timespan they really better have something cool up their sleeves.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
Are we sure this isn't a handheld device or even a refresh of a current 3DS or Wii U design?

Despite how much it would benefit them to release this year I still think the 'main' console will get pushed to 2017. Maybe get the handheld side launched 2016 and the console portion in 2017.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »
They just launched a new handheld last year, there is no way they replace that so soon. They Wii U is dead, they need to sweep it under the rug and this timeline makes good sense, it will be just right to get in on the current gen without taking too much away from PS4 and Xbox One since there are still millions of users sticking to last gen, which many consider Wii U to be anyways.

There is nothing discounting this from being a true dedicated "gaming tablet" either, which might be why 3rd parties were so excited for it, a gaming tablet with Nintendo's expertise and it is scaleable that would excite most companies.

But there is still nothing saying this is a console or a handheld either way. It's all speculation at this point.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
If this rumor is true, then Nintendo actually thinks they can sell as many NXs as there are Wii U owners worldwide in their 1st year. I find that unlikely, but at least it shouldn't be hard to find an NX at launch. After all...THERE ARE 12 MILLION OF THEM!  :P:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
If this rumor is true, then Nintendo actually thinks they can sell as many NXs as there are Wii U owners worldwide in their 1st year. I find that unlikely, but at least it shouldn't be hard to find an NX at launch. After all...THERE ARE 12 MILLION OF THEM!  :P:

Didn't Atari manufacture more copies of Pac-Man than they sold console, making the very optimistic assumption that not only would every 2600 owner buy the game but that it would also sell systems?  This figure sounds a little too similar to that.

The Wii U successor being a 2016 is like the worst kept secret in gaming so I'm not surprised a rumour like this would surface.  I see replacing the Wii U in 2016 as a requirement.  They would be seriously nuts to consider waiting another year.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:29:43 PM »
If the rumor is true and we're talking about the handheld version running NX, then 10-12 million seems fine for a first run.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 07:30:58 PM »
But of course, ya'll more interested in turning this into a "bash Wii U" thread.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
This, if true is absolutely a handheld of some sort. Nintendo H.DS (powered by NX)

I don't know anymore.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 09:53:19 PM »
10 to 12 million units isn't that crazy if Nintenso releases two separate products under the NX umbrella. Six to seven million handhelds, four to five million consoles. Also, if Nintendo launches before November, shipping that many units wouldn't be that strange.

Offline RidleySaria

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »
But of course, ya'll more interested in turning this into a "bash Wii U" thread.

What? You're being a little defensive. I think it's pretty clear that Wii U is doing badly and speculation of NX being its successor is entirely reasonable. I don't see anyone turning this into a Wii U bashing party.

Speculation about a Wii U successor =/= bashing the Wii U console.

Hmm..... Wii U Bashing Party sounds like a fun party game though!

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »
I love the Wii U to death but to pretend it still has real life in it is completely delusional.

NX has potential to unite the fanbase, a single machine that is both a console and a handheld that will sell millions. If it gets the same support as the handheld's currently it will be vastly better than the consoles have been in years, so yeah it is reasonable to assume people will be hyped for this thing, if they deliver on the promises and wild speculation we have blown out of proportion in our minds. I mean there is a new Star Wars movie launching in a few short weeks, some of use are just in ultra hype mode for that and anything else is going to get spill over from that.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
NX has potential to unite the fanbase, a single machine that is both a console and a handheld that will sell millions.

That's not what it is, though.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
How do you know? I thought it was supposed to be a single device or a single operating system that works on both devices, those are the two prevailing theories. Beyond that nobody knows for sure hence why I said it "has potential" if that is what it is. Right now we don't know that it isn't that either. Nobody does so you can't be so sure of yourself either.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 05:46:16 PM »
Nintendo has said on a few occasions that it isn't interested in a hybrid system.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
Nintendo has said on a few occasions that it isn't interested in a hybrid system.

It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has adamantly denied the existence of new hardware, only to turn around the next day and announce that very hardware.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »
What about Quality of Life hardware?

I just got a gen 1 Microsoft Band (their FitBit/smart watch) and I keep feeling that these are along the lines of what Nintendo had going for QoL. Imagine a blending of the Poke Walker and the lost Vitality Sensor as a sort of smart watch synced to your 3DS/WiiU/NX.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
What about Quality of Life hardware?

I just got a gen 1 Microsoft Band (their FitBit/smart watch) and I keep feeling that these are along the lines of what Nintendo had going for QoL. Imagine a blending of the Poke Walker and the lost Vitality Sensor as a sort of smart watch synced to your 3DS/WiiU/NX.

I doubt this is Quality of Life. If it was, they wouldn't have announced this when they announced the mobile deal with DeNA to qualm fears of Nintendo going mobile-only.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »

It wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has adamantly denied the existence of new hardware, only to turn around the next day and announce that very hardware.
Those denials typically come from a public relations rep almost immediately after leaks from reputable sources. This isn't the same kind of situation. Iwata is on record stating that Nintendo isn't interested in a hybrid. Makes sense too. As has been said many times before: Nintendo wants to sell a console and a handheld.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
Nintendo is going to sell a hybrid system, they're just going to try to get away with two separate releases.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »
My poor #NX2017 flag....

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
Nintendo wants to have two systems because they figure they can sell you twice the games.  It's hard to support two platforms so they want to make one game for both platforms like with SSB on the 3DS/Wii U.  Of course such an idea will probably backfire because if the games are the same between both platforms there is less reason to own both platforms.  For example I don't have a real need for handheld gaming so if the same games were on both I would just buy the console.  For the idea to work they need cross-buy, but then that whole "sell everyone two games" plan falls aside so you might as well go hybrid.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
Nintendo wants to have two systems because they figure they can sell you twice the games.  It's hard to support two platforms so they want to make one game for both platforms like with SSB on the 3DS/Wii U.  Of course such an idea will probably backfire because if the games are the same between both platforms there is less reason to own both platforms.

While that's true and what really hurt the Wii U, there's still a good number of hardcore fans who buy the handheld and home console versions.  Despite the Wii U's poor hardware sales, the big sellers like Mario and Smash Bros are still ending up with around 5 million or more in sales each on the system even if they're lower 3DS counterparts sell more. 

As long as they're making more money by selling handheld and home console versions of their biggest series, we're not going to get a true hybrid anytime soon.  That's one of the biggest reasons for Nintendo more then likely wanting a shared OS between the systems since it'll be a lot easier to reuse assets between the handheld and home console versions of their biggest titles so development will be cheaper and quicker.  This way even if the home console version of the NX sells similar to the Wii U, Nintendo will still be able to maximize profits thanks to lower dev cost for said games compared to their Wii U counterparts.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 05:33:13 PM »
Except quoting Iwata means squat, the man is worm food, his opinions are no longer valid. Also There have been ample evidence surfacing that they could be working on either a hybrid, or some other type of unified console. The Wii U was almost that anyways and it is the ONE thing Nintendo can do in this current market to regain true relevance.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »
Except quoting Iwata means squat, the man is worm food, his opinions are no longer valid. Also There have been ample evidence surfacing that they could be working on either a hybrid, or some other type of unified console. The Wii U was almost that anyways and it is the ONE thing Nintendo can do in this current market to regain true relevance.

Except that it takes years to develop new hardware. It's too late to change directions from what Iwata set in motion. Contracts have been signed. Orders have been made. NX can change on the software side, but the general concept has to have been locked by now.