Author Topic: Aonuma: Next Wii Zelda A "Fundamental Departure"  (Read 9085 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Aonuma: Next Wii Zelda A "Fundamental Departure"
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:56:15 AM »
New details begin to surface about the highly-anticipated game.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20370

In an interview with IGN, Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma stated that the upcoming Wii entry in the franchise will be a fundamental departure from the style of gameplay the series has become known for.  Regarding the structure of the game, Aonuma said "We're making efforts regarding the total flow of the Zelda game.  So far, the basic flow of the Zelda games is you're exploring a field, you go to a dungeon, you conquer it and return to the field.  We're looking at altering that traditional flow. That's all I can share, and I can't say more until E3 next year."    

Although the game is already known to use Wii MotionPlus, Aonuma has confirmed that the game will support realistic 1:1 swordplay.  "We're taking advantage of MotionPlus. It's become very natural – the movement of your arms is precisely reflected in the gameplay. Thanks to the technological advancements, we hope the gameplay can be more accessible to people."    

This is not the first time that the series has ventured onto new ground.  2000's The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask also departed from the series' traditional flow by introducing a new time-travelling mechanic that allowed the re-living of the same 3 days over and over again, with slightly different results depending on the actions of the player.  2007's The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass changed both the dungeon and control portions of the game by having the player revisit the same dungeon multiple times in the game, delving deeper each time, as well as changing the controls to a 100% touch screen mechanic for movement.    

No release date has been announced for the next Wii entry in the Legend of Zelda series.  Based on Aonuma's comments, more details will be revealed at E3 2010.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Aonuma: Next Wii Zelda A
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »
"So far, the basic flow of the Zelda games is you're exploring a field, you go to a dungeon, you conquer it and return to the field.  We're looking at altering that traditional flow. That's all I can share, and I can't say more until E3 next year."

Yes! Yes! Thank you, Nintendo!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:47:49 AM »
Let's make the dungeons and the surrounding wilderness indistinguishable in terms of general combat/effort, like the first game!

NEW Legend of Zelda!

4 player 2D co-op!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:52:26 AM »
I'd like to see a New Zelda II, personally.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Yeah I never liked the Hyrule Field part of the Zelda design.  It seemed to go against the general design of the 2D games.  Majora's Mask bucked the trend really well though by putting a big city in the middle.

Majora's Mask is a departure and it's a contender for the best Zelda game.  But Phantom Hourglass is also a departure and I would consider it outright CRAP.  So while I'm very interested to find out what they've got cooking I'm not completely confident in that I'll like it.  There's some big extremes here.

Though once you say "we hope the gameplay can be more accessible to people" I groan.  If anything ruins this game it will be THAT.  The way to ruin Zelda is to alter it for people who don't like Zelda.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:16:59 PM »
It still reminds me of the Survey Nintendo sent to me.   I had answered so many surveys, they sent me a special one that made it sound like they were looking into making a game or porting a game like Oblivion to their systems.  The survey seemed to ask a lot of questions on whether or not people are looking to play games that are more hevily drenched in the RPG fare and it did sound like they were using Oblivion as a model.   I would definatly like integration like oblivion in the zelda series.  I am a bit tired of the load an area up while you are on part of a map.  Monster Hunters 3 also does it like Zelda, a departure from this would be my friend.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Aonuma: Next Wii Zelda A \
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:43 PM »
I just want the next Zelda to be written by Yoshiaki Koizumi.

And that will never happen. =(
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
This is exciting news. I hope they get rid of the dungeons and just let me wander around the fields. That's my favorite part.

My favorite dungeon in TP was the old west town.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
This news on them overhauling the general flow of Zelda is very welcome, indeed.  I just wonder what they're going to replace it with, as exploration and dungeon-crawling are usually the two strongest elements of any Zelda title.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
lol gives a company a bigger reason to make an oldschool zelda clone
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:47 PM »
They did...it's called 3D Dot Game Heroes.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »
Want.

WANT.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
In before "omg play as zelda"

To be honest, I don't think exploration would be hampered; it seems like they'd have a chance to make it more focused, in fact. That was what Majora's Mask accomplished above other Zeldas: rather than the central field being a huge, empty space that acted as a medium of travel (much like the sea), it was riddled with interesting elements and secrets. Much like the original Legend of Zelda on the NES, come to think of it...
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
This is exciting news. I hope they get rid of the dungeons and just let me wander around the fields. That's my favorite part.

My favorite dungeon in TP was the old west town.

I definitely noticed TP changed things up, especially the Ice "Temple," and the snowboarding and bird riding were different too (although they were bordering on Star-Fox-Adventures-meh). I think they'll go in that direction but not completely overhaul the formula. Something with more interactive townsfolk would be just fine, I do declare.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »
I just don't know anymore.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »
To be honest, I don't think exploration would be hampered; it seems like they'd have a chance to make it more focused, in fact. That was what Majora's Mask accomplished above other Zeldas: rather than the central field being a huge, empty space that acted as a medium of travel (much like the sea), it was riddled with interesting elements and secrets.

Good point.  A lot of Zeldas tend to fall into a rut at some point in the game where you just go dungeon, dungeon, dungeon with not much else in between.  LttP and OoT both do that.  They start off with a clear balance of dungeons and other stuff but after a certain point all the player has left to do is clear several dungeons in a row.  Majora's Mask only has four dungeons but so much stuff in between that it doesn't feel short or unfulfilling.  Link's Awakening is even better, having a full set of dungeons but usually having extra stuff to do in between.

Having a world to explore is, in my mind, the most key element of Zelda.  Otherwise you might as well make it like Four Swords where it's just sequential levels.  Now I like Four Swords but I sure as hell wouldn't want it to be the new blueprint for Zelda games.  And when a Zelda game gets to a point where you just beat a dungeon, walk to the next dungeon, beat it, etc then it might as well just be levels.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
To be honest, I don't think exploration would be hampered; it seems like they'd have a chance to make it more focused, in fact. That was what Majora's Mask accomplished above other Zeldas: rather than the central field being a huge, empty space that acted as a medium of travel (much like the sea), it was riddled with interesting elements and secrets.

Good point.  A lot of Zeldas tend to fall into a rut at some point in the game where you just go dungeon, dungeon, dungeon with not much else in between.  LttP and OoT both do that.  They start off with a clear balance of dungeons and other stuff but after a certain point all the player has left to do is clear several dungeons in a row.  Majora's Mask only has four dungeons but so much stuff in between that it doesn't feel short or unfulfilling.  Link's Awakening is even better, having a full set of dungeons but usually having extra stuff to do in between.

Having a world to explore is, in my mind, the most key element of Zelda.  Otherwise you might as well make it like Four Swords where it's just sequential levels.  Now I like Four Swords but I sure as hell wouldn't want it to be the new blueprint for Zelda games.  And when a Zelda game gets to a point where you just beat a dungeon, walk to the next dungeon, beat it, etc then it might as well just be levels.

All very true. But even if it was more like MM with a bit more to do in the - non dungeon mean time - that is obviously not enough. New settings would shake things up, much like space did for Mario, but still wouldn't be enough. What is it that they could possibly do that would not only be new and interesting for Zelda games, but all games? No way Nintendo is thinking, "hey these guys did this well, lets use that!".  I'm just waiting for something almost epically different.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »

I don't think the second half of any Zelda game where the game gets into a dungeon-dungeon-dungeon rhythm is the problem.  That's usually where I have the most fun in any Zelda game.  The biggest problem I've had with Zelda of late is that the game only pretends that there's exploration.  At any one point in the game, you can wander around and do some things, but only specific things that have been very carefully placed so you know them the minute you see them and know exactly how to deal with them.  Ditto for your weapons/tools, which are never used to their full potential.  There's rarely a reason to experiment and investigate, as everything is used for one particular purpose and is thereafter forgotten. 

This is especially a problem in the dungeons.  Remember when Zelda games used to build upon their challenges from dungeon to dungeon?  You'd start out just pushing blocks and stepping on switches until you got the bow & arrow in a dungeon, and then in every dungeon thereafter you'd see arrow-based puzzles.  Then in the next dungeon, you'd get bombs and they would start being involved in puzzles from that point on.  But in the last few Zelda puzzles, you get a tool in one dungeon; it's used in that dungeon; and then...it's forgotten.  Every dungeon feels like the game is starting over so you rarely feel like you're actually being tested on what you've learned over the course of the game.

I'd also be fine with the Zelda flow as it is if we didn't constantly have this pattern: Start of game -> extremely slow opening as you acquire 3 objects to get the master sword -> extremely fast close as you acquire a number of other objects to open the final dungeon -> final dungeon -> Gannon/Gannondorf.  There's also the problem of some pretty lame dungeons these past few games.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
they should just have Link get shipwrecked on another island (a real one) thats not too massive in size, but not too small either.

the whole thing should be like one big ass dungeon where you get to explore the entire island (which has no central town/village, but does have NPC's scattered across out in the open or in remote locales), using the weapons you acquire to traverse the terrain. You can have the traditional dungeon themes but mix them up a bit; work them not only into the environment (the island around you) but the other dungeons themselves;

do a side-quest favor for an islander that results in a dam being built in the nearby river, opening up a portion of an underground dungeon. You don't have the right equipment yet so you move on to another dungeon. something occurs which breaks the damn, but that dungeon isn't blocked off, its still accessable from another part of the island, however its now become flooded (creating new puzzles), etc.

Basically this new zelda should bring back the awesome challenging puzzles of old, as introduce some more metroid-like exploration. to be honest, i'm surprised it hasn't happened before.

ps the island setting is just an excuse to get link to take his shirt off again, yum!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:15 PM »
3D Zelda that's more challenging with Motion+ swordfighting but with the structure of and an overworld set up like Metroid? Where can I pre-order?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56:56 PM »
3D Zelda that's more challenging with Motion+ swordfighting but with the structure of and an overworld set up like Metroid? Where can I pre-order?

Motion+... almost forgot about that!

another crazy idea for my Survivor Man: Legend of Zelda;

all that 1st person zelda talk can come to fruition in motion+ based puzzles or activities where you control links hands to traverse or otherwise manipulate the terrain, even if its slightly mini game-ish. picture having to scale a cliff with modified (WW styled) hook-shot...

Use the wiimotes IR pointer to (in 1st person mode of course) launch the hookshot to an appropriate part of the cliff, where you automatically pull yourself off part of the way, but then have to use motion+ to move links hand to grab a hold, and the nunchuck to pull himself up with his left hand..?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
All I can say is, this game had better have a left-handed control option complete with a left-handed Link.

Offline stevey

• Young HAWNESS
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 09:19:25 PM »
Girl Link or Malon as the main character anyone? :faust:

I agree that the Zelda formula needs to be expanded and more detail needs to placed in the game so the puzzle and secrets aren't so obvious.  I miss LttP jammed pack world where even after years of playing it, I can still find new secrets in the game not to mention the dungeon can be completed in varying order. Most of the recent games started to have a way to simply pattern to each of the dungeons. Walk in to a room > see two doors > take the one on the left > see something in a room that not in another > Use it as the key to solving a puzzle > get item > Use said item to solve all remaining puzzles> Pwn boss by spamming the item > heart piece > Use item on everything you see till you get to the next dungeon/item.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:30:44 PM by stevey »
My Demands and Declarations:
nVidia is CRAP!!!
BOYCOTT Digest mode and LEGEND OF OO!

Your PM box will be spammed with Girl Link porn! NO EXCEPTION!
Wii want WaveBirds

Stevey Duff
NWR HAWTNESS Inspector
NWR Staff All Powerful Satin!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
A lot of Zeldas tend to fall into a rut at some point in the game where you just go dungeon, dungeon, dungeon with not much else in between.  LttP and OoT both do that.  They start off with a clear balance of dungeons and other stuff but after a certain point all the player has left to do is clear several dungeons in a row.

I think this is only a problem for people like us who tend to do all the side quests the instant they're available.  If you're not the type of gamer who searches out everything you can do between each dungeon you're not going to find a lot of that stuff until later in the game.  Therefore, you're not going to get to a point where there's nothing to do but 3 dungeons in a row.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »
I hate Zelda's that have areas locked for the sake of saving them till later. This does not include not being able to access an area because you don't have the proper item. It's literally a figurative wall and it pisses me off.
black fairy tales are better at sports