Author Topic: Windjammers 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Windjammers 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:07:34 AM »

Variety is the keyboard as the art of throwing discs is constantly evolving!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/hands-on-preview/51578/windjammers-2-switch-hands-on-preview

DOTEMU are hard at work bringing back a game I truly love, Windjammers. Last year, I got my first look at the wonders of Windjammers 2. The game dialed up everything I loved about the first: smoother gameplay, character variety, and of course disc throwing. Now a new year is upon us and a lot of work has been done to experience a full featured one. Let me give you the lowdown.

The gameplay is as you would expect. You will dash and throw the disc, lob it straight back and use special moves when the timing is right. The goal is to toss the disc behind your opponent and score points depending on which colored wall you hit. Depending on your actions, you can score anything from two to five points on average. It is very much a momentum game, as timing every move can decide a victor fast.

The keyword of the 2019 build is variety. The demo had a whopping six characters with the final roster being ten in total. For the majority of the time, I gravitated towards speedy characters like the new S. De Lys. While she won't throw discs all too hard, the character has grand defensive options that can be used in a pinch. One of the developers mostly used H-Max, a Canadian powerhouse that was completely new to the demo. He would hit back with powerful moves that you will have a hard time ignoring. His Power Move, a new feature in Windjammers 2, is nothing to sneeze at.

When it comes to stages, Windjammers 2 is shaping up nicely as well. One of the stadiums, taking place in a construction zone, shortens the time you have to react. Unlike other maps, they only have a teensy bit past you to let your opponent score points. There is also one that resembles a tennis stadium. It is that the middle portion is smaller, giving you less time to react against attacks. Every locale has been spruced well with a lively environment and beautifully animated supporters to boot.

Windjammers 2 is coming along extremely well. The game has seen some clear improvements over last year, and is certainly heading in the direction of a full game. What will be in that full game remains to be seen, but the balance is currently at a right place. Hopefully we will learn a whole lot more in the near future!