Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 762402 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2175 on: August 25, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
Stopped in at EBGames again today to see if they were doing a pre-order on the Metroid Amiibo bundle but they aren't which is odd since I think Best Buy did. However, the clerk mentioned they were still doing pre-orders on the Samus 3DS (tempting), Samus Returns 3DS and the special edition Samus Returns. I was surprised that they were still doing pre-orders for the special edition since Amazon, Best Buy and EBGames websites were all saying out of stock and I was unable to pre-order one so I thought I had missed out on yet another special edition. The clerk double checked and said that they still had stock available for it so I pre-ordered a copy. The clerk was surprised there hadn't been more demand for the Special Editions of the game as well as there were still more available to acquire. It appears going in person to EBGames is my ticket to everything I miss out acquiring online. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future.

At the same time, it does concern me about the profitability of the Metroid franchise. Compared to Fire Emblem special editions which get snapped up so fast, it's concerning that the same demand doesn't seem to be there for the Metroid series. Perhaps it comes from previous regular games of the Fire Emblem series also being harder to find and worth a lot more on the second hand market compared to most Metroid games being fairly easy to find and sold for more reasonable prices thus scalpers/collectors are less concerned with stocking up early on games released for the series. In any case, I've done my part by buying the most pricey Metroid game available in effort to give Nintendo my money for more content in the series. Yay me?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 25, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
There's probably a reason we're basically getting annual installments of Fire Emblem at this point, plus a mobile game, and Samus Returns is the first traditional Metroid game in 7 years.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: August 26, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't help that Samus Returns' special edition is pretty lackluster: a reversible cover & a CD soundtrack of random songs across the franchise.

Meanwhile, Fire Emblem Fates' Special Edition included all 3 versions of the game. Just sayin', one is clearly better than the other.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »
Titanfall 2. This game is really solid.

That game is fantastic.  The story mode is short, but a thrill ride.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 14, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
I got Severed (Wii U/3DS Crossbuy) Pandora's Tower, the two Dillon's Rolling Western games, and Another World (Wii U) through sales and Mynintendo discounts.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 15, 2017, 01:23:32 AM »
Used My Nintendo 10% off discount and bought Metroid Samus Returns.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2181 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:36 PM »
Mr. Squishy, to go along with the game where I'm killing 99 of his relatives.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 16, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »
Metroid: Samus Returns and the Samus/Metroid Amiibo because I have a problem.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 23, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
I got Severed (Wii U/3DS Crossbuy)

Severed is amazing!!! Be sure to play it on a mildly melancholic rainy weekend without company and a warm cup of tea. 3DS probably works best since you'll have both screens closer to each other, but I found it nigh-perfect on Wii U and it looks/sounds fantastic on it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 09, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
Logitech G533 wireless headset.

Sounds good and clean, plenty of charge to last a day, good range even through multiple walls, large cups and pretty adjustable.

Works as a standard headset in MacOS and shines in Windows with their custom software. Unlike the Razer software which just doesn't work in MacOS or windows with even basic stuff like EQ and forget about it's 7.1 virtualization as that seems as broken as everything else while introduces it's own bugs and only seems to exists for tracking purposes.

The 7.1 surround virtualization is excellent as unless you didn't know better you were surrounded by discrete speakers. It is amazing to use when playing games as it makes it trivial to locate someone by sound. This aspect is rock solid as it emulates the outputs down to a hardware like level so games does think it is a physical piece of hardware so the software gets accurate information to work with.

It integrates with discord although it was quite confusing initially as the mic was very quiet even with everything turned up. It turned out it just needed automatic gain control enabled.

Also when initially used in MacOS using the mic would feed noise into the speakers but that was fixed with a restart while the headset was plugged in.

Other than those two hiccups it is a very solid piece of kit. It certainly made me regret spending any money on a Razer anything, they have a pretty ho hum reputation for a good reason.

If you want solid peripherals you really can't go wrong with Logitech. Just keep in mind you get what you pay for so budget accordingly for the features you want and buy one step up from that. Each tier of products have different support software so this is something to consider almost as much as the hardware itself.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 09, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
I added Samus Returns to my backlog Collection which is nice.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 29, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
Picked up a few old games tonight:
* Conduit 2 (Wii) - Own the first game, and figured I needed to have both for the "full experience". It is a true classic, right? I remember the RFN podcast talking about it back in the day... but details have been largely forgotten (to protect the innocent, perhaps?).
* Namco Museum Remix (Wii) - Happy to add this to my collection. Apparently not much to it, but looks like great fun for a couple of dollars.
* Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS) - Skipped this game on release because of concerns about overwrought dialog, but nostalgia for the Golden Sun series has grown over time. Keen to try this game so many years later, and always happy to have another DS RPG in the stable.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:36 AM »
I orderd Deus Ex on Wii U and a new battery for my new 3DS. I should be able to get that achievement for Miiverse before it closes.

Offline Michie_

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 30, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
It's gonna take a while to complete them all:

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 30, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »
That's a lot of Japanese games and Bomberman. Any story behind that?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Michie_

• View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: October 31, 2017, 07:11:23 PM »
That's a lot of Japanese games and Bomberman. Any story behind that?

Japanese N64 are dirt cheap but most of them don't require any reading skills. Even though Bomberman R isn't the best Bomberman game by any means. Bomberman R has awakened my love for the franchise.

Most of the Wii games I bought are because of old RFN episodes. Today "Disaster day of crises" landed on my doormat.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
Dang that's a crazy collection! Good point on N64 titles that require no reading skills like Mario Golf. Does a regular NTSC/PAL N64 just play Japanese cartridges outright? Do you have to break off a few pieces of plastic? If I recall correctly some Gamesharks could also fit import carts into them right?

Offline Michie_

• View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: November 05, 2017, 06:33:11 PM »
Dang that's a crazy collection! Good point on N64 titles that require no reading skills like Mario Golf. Does a regular NTSC/PAL N64 just play Japanese cartridges outright? Do you have to break off a few pieces of plastic? If I recall correctly some Gamesharks could also fit import carts into them right?

I have bought this to play import games:

So far it has worked with every game I tried.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
Bought SNES Classic. It's overpriced in my country (almost 100$) but i couldn't be bothered looking elsewhere.

Since it's my first exposure to SNES controller of sort, it's kinda weird how mushy the buttons are.

I am going to spend some time getting 100% Yoshi's Island on that thing. YI was the first game where i realised that videogames of THIS high level of craftsmanship and talent actually can and do exist and i was playing compromised GBA version and it still hit me.

Also excited for Super Punch-Out and Suepr Ghosts and Ghouls.

Also bought:

Offline Michie_

• View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: November 12, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »

My PS4 had to be replaced because he kept spewing it's discs out and turning itself off, luckily there was a good discount.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: November 12, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
... kept spewing it's discs out and turning itself off ...

Yuck!

I'm terrified this will happen to my Wii U someday, or that the special controller will stop working.
Wii U never saw a real price drop (although there were occasional clearance sales when it was floundering early) and now they are getting hard to find in stores.

On the other hand, glad to have collected a lot of Wii games.  I feel like that piece of hardware will be easy to come by for many years.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2196 on: November 20, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Purchased DOOM on the Switch two weekends ago. Just got to play it earlier this week. I finished the game on PS4, and would have purchased that version, but it took up SO much storage. The Switch version isn't nearly 100 GB of updates (yet), so I jumped on that to rip and tear on the go and in the comfort of my chair.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline rvbykyle

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: November 24, 2017, 01:23:29 AM »
I recently purchased Pokemon Ultra Sun and Crimson Invasion Elite Trainer Box.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: December 03, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
Bought 4k TV (LG OLED B6).

Obviously the first system i connected to it to test out hot new 4k HDR content was SNES Classic. Sarcasm aside i found out that this 4k TV is bad at handling low-res picture -- i even had to activate scanlines mode. I might move SNES Classic back to old Panasonic plasma in other room.

Next system i connected was Switch. I was kinda tired carrying and unpacking the TV so basically i grabbed two smallest systems that can be un-plugged and re-connected with the least hassle.

Mario Odyssey looks gorgeous but -- again -- TV's intrinsic high-resolution and honestly -- size -- makes game's dynamic resolution change a bit too obvious.

Offline Michie_

• View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: December 14, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »

and: