Author Topic: Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 76379 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
There were already folding lightsabers in Star Wars. They Jedi Temple Guards had double bladed hilts and folded. Jedi Master Pong Krell, a four-armed alien who fought in the clone wars, wielded two of them to great effect.

Coupled with lightsaber tonfas, lightsaber whips, and the helicopter blades mentioned above, Rey's fakeout-darkside-vision lightsaber is hardly an offender.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »
Yeah, but there's a huge difference between Rey's thing and all those examples.

Disney did this and Disney is teh evils.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »
Yeah, but there's a huge difference between Rey's thing and all those examples.

Disney did this and Disney is teh evils.

No because it's a mainline film. There is an higher expected level of not stupid.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
Ewoks say "Hi".

Prequels say "Hello."
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2019, 09:29:58 PM »
for BnM

Here's something in a mainline Star Wars film that tops whatever this week's lightsaber shenanigans is.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
Fun fact: the genre The Max Rebo Band is playing was canonically called Jizz. They’re Jizz-wailers. Jizz is coming out of their mouths.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2019, 01:22:11 AM »
Ewoks say "Hi".

Prequels say "Hello."
You point them out like it's some kind of own nobody has considered before. The light sabre is just another symptom of how rotten the whole thing has gotten. The entirely of NuSW has been varying temperature of hot garbage that has collectively made PT look good.

The only good Star Wars going right now is Doc Vadar Force Fridays.

Fun fact: the genre The Max Rebo Band is playing was canonically called Jizz. They’re Jizz-wailers. Jizz is coming out of their mouths.
LOL

Few are fond of the special editions.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2019, 02:16:37 AM »
Ewoks say "Hi".

Prequels say "Hello."
You point them out like it's some kind of own nobody has considered before.

I point them out to indicate that if one's criteria for judging Star Wars is "mainline films should be not stupid", then it seems like they haven't really moved past the second in the series.  Being generous.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2019, 03:28:01 AM »
More like they haven't gotten past Aunt Beru telling Luke to get some blue milk.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2019, 03:40:35 AM »
Ewoks say "Hi".

Prequels say "Hello."
You point them out like it's some kind of own nobody has considered before.

I point them out to indicate that if one's criteria for judging Star Wars is "mainline films should be not stupid", then it seems like they haven't really moved past the second in the series.  Being generous.
I did not say this. Do not put words into my mouth.

"What about this bad thing?" does not excuse bad things they are doing now. If you are going to use the "What about" argument it makes current mistakes even more damning as it shows they have learnt nothing, constantly making unforced errors.

If these things didn't have the name Star Wars you never would have watched them. They would have crashed and burned just as hard as the DCU. Laughed off as another misguided, failed attempt to make another "Universe". It's skating on blind brand loyalty and obligation now. They made really bad movies, they did this to themselves.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2019, 04:08:33 AM »
The problem with your argument is that I didn't even watch the original trilogy until I was in high school - and I thought they were cheesy sci-fi pop corn movies even then.  I never felt obligation to the brand.  Hell, Rogue One was the first movie I would say is worth watching for casual audiences and the only one I consider above the "meh-okay" range.

You seem to want these movies to be something they're not, while pretending the OT was something it never was.

You accuse me of only caring about the movies because of the name - but let's be honest, at this point, that's the only reason you're still in the conversation.  You hang on to every new announcement, trainer, and rumor just for a chance to pick apart something new (or, hell, old) for a franchise you seem to indicate you've long since lost interestin - for no other reason than the name at the front of the movie.

I watch the movies, because as stupid popcorn flicks as they are, I do enjoy just watching explosions in space, a sassy robits, and pew pew pew once in a while.

Why *are* you still watching them?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2019, 04:34:13 AM »
I don't like Hazelnut ice cream. Therefore Hazelnut ice cream is an abomination that must be wiped from the Earth. The only reason people like hazelnut ice cream is because ice cream is in the name. It's skating on blind brand loyalty and obligation now. They made really bad ice cream, they did this to themselves.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2019, 04:49:31 AM »
I love that oohhboy's argument against modern Star Wars is exactly the same as his argument against modern Star Trek, and in both cases I really have no idea how he became a fan in the first place if he's that much of a stickler. I'm starting to think he never liked either of those things, and he just likes to be negative and **** on people for liking things he doesn't.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2019, 05:05:47 AM »
I don't watch them anymore, I haven't seen Solo or any of the new shows, saw TFA and TLJ well after the fact. Its such a train wreak I can't look away, the BS surrounding it is too entertaining. Ripping on it is too much fun. TRoS is probably going to end up being a Solo, forever sitting on the hard drive, never to be watched except for maybe a riff track.

Your claim that I want NuSW to be something it's not is true, just not the reason you gave. I wanted good movies. What we got is endless trash. They don't even rise to "Popcorn" level which is such a cop out excuse for mediocrity and bad. Have some standards, stop consuming slop, demand better.

The thing is the last 3rd of R1 because that actually felt SW. Not because it had classic X-Wings and Star Destroyers. It had that old school feel with the camera work, texture of the spacecraft, how they swoop like the WW2 dog fighting they were based on, the ground combat didn't feel like a joke, basic film making skills applied, able to see what's happening, it could stand on it's own merits. For a moment someone understood what SW is, they understood how to make a fucking movie, they made something good.

R1 showed it isn't an impossible feat, it can be done. But everything they have done so far screams they don't give a **** about making good movies, just throw **** out there because people like Unclebob will eat it. They will blame their failure on everything and anyone than themselves like they have before.

Seriously watch this, it's bloody amazing, LOL and shitload more SW than anything Disney have put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k6_a_XacIU

Force Friday bitches.

I love that oohhboy's argument against modern Star Wars is exactly the same as his argument against modern Star Trek, and in both cases I really have no idea how he became a fan in the first place if he's that much of a stickler. I'm starting to think he never liked either of those things, and he just likes to be negative and **** on people for liking things he doesn't.
The beef with current Star Wars and Star Trek isn't some mystery. They made extremely bad shows on every level, subjectivity need not apply. Being a fan of the past shows just makes the new "stuff" worse. Seriously what is there not to get?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2019, 05:14:56 AM »
The fact that you think a show or movie can be bad on every level with no subjectivity says a lot more about you than it does about the shows and movies.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2019, 05:28:22 AM »
When something is that bad, broken on a basic level you don't need to bring subjectivity into it. Even if the past shows didn't exist, they are still bad. It's excuses all the way down.

It's like the last season of GoT but all the time. Are you going to blame all those viewers? Are you going to make the claim of how did they ever became fans in the first place? Say they only want to hate? I didn't watch GoT because it was not my thing, but I could see the quality in it, why they liked it, why they were so disgusted by the ending. How bad it was inside and outside the show.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2019, 05:33:52 AM »
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. You think it's bad, and in your mind that means it's broken on a basic level that no one can deny. Are you four years old?

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2019, 05:38:14 AM »
You guys just don't understand how fundamentally broken hazelnut ice cream is. When it's that bad you don't need to bring subjectivity into it. It's excuses all the way down.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. You think it's bad, and in your mind that means it's broken on a basic level that no one can deny.
TBF most of the Star Wars fanbase is like this.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:43:05 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2019, 05:40:35 AM »
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. You think it's bad, and in your mind that means it's broken on a basic level that no one can deny. Are you four years old?
What is wrong with you? Why do you insist on openly insulting people?

If these were games you would fall out of a level, the animations would glitch, hit detection broke all repeatedly, screen randomly go blank, crashes. Basic stuff that shouldn't be broken.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2019, 05:42:35 AM »
Yeah, why do I openly insult people when I could be subtly insulting people like you do up and down these forums?

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2019, 05:45:14 AM »
I really don't think oohboy has seen an actual bad movie if he's basically comparing the new Star Wars to Sonic 06.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2019, 05:49:36 AM »
I really don't think oohboy has seen an actual bad movie if he's basically comparing the new Star Wars to Sonic 06.
LOL, nice.

I have seen my share of bad movies for shits and giggles. I usually able to find something to enjoy about the movie itself. But I am not going to mistake that moment of enjoyment to claim it's a good movie or something people should accept because it has XYZ name on it.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2019, 05:52:53 AM »
Everybody knows that Birdemic is the Sonic 06 of movies.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
The only way a movie could be bad in the way oohhboy is describing is if the film were exposed, the vocals and the visuals were out of sync, and most of the movie was slightly out of frame. Or maybe even each scene is one take and then the next scene is filmed right after with no editing.

Nitpicking the details of the film might make it a bad story, but that's only one part of the movie.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »
Its such a train wreak I can't look away, the BS surrounding it is too entertaining. Ripping on it is too much fun.

You need a new hobby man.  Maybe if you surrounded yourself with things you enjoy rather than things you hate, you'd be less bitter and more happy?