Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 240547 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
So you try to love people but you also think almost everyone sucks? Where's the optimism? Where's the faith? Why would you love everyone if they suck? If you love people then why wouldn't you want to be respectful?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »
Because it's easier not to be. That's the American way.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:02 PM »
I don't need optimism or faith to love my fellow man. Everybody has a chance to be a good person, and it's not my fault if they aren't. I'm not going to hold to the false ideal that everybody in the world will at some point get along and stop hating each other. Likewise, somebody sucking is not a legitimate reason to treat them like crap. The idea is to break the cycle. In a world where everybody is treating everybody else like dirt, the last thing I want to do is perpetuate that. I am also a believer in karma and the power of an individual. I can't save the world, but maybe I can brighten the day of just one person I meet.

As for being respectful, words are arbitrary sounds applied meaning by social acceptance. Words are not offensive or disrespectful; the meaning assigned to them by the person using them is.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 10:59:47 PM »
I can't save the world, but maybe I can brighten the day of just one person I meet.
You won't brighten my day by using words like "bitch" and "titties". Honestly it seems to me you are just making excuses so you can be disrespectful and call it everyone else's problem.

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 12:10:54 AM »
I find this thread shocking!  Particularly:

They love Mario & Sonic @ the Olympics to death and still play it over a year later all the chances they get and they got excited when they heard that the Winter Games sequel is coming out.

Nobuddy likes Mario & Olympic Sonic At Games!  Fact!

Seven million people say otherwise.

Those seven million people are just going through a weird phase.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 03:47:07 AM »
You won't brighten my day by using words like "bitch" and "titties". Honestly it seems to me you are just making excuses so you can be disrespectful and call it everyone else's problem.

I'm sorry that you are so easily offended by ultimately meaningless combinations of letters on your computer screen. I'm also sorry that you feel I'm being disrespectful, but honestly I'm not. I respect you and everyone on the forum.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't believe you to be a nice person, as nice people use respectful language. You don't agree on this I'm sure, but that's okay, different people have different interpretations of niceness.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
That said, some of their store policies are ridiculous. First off, I'm not really sure if they have any standards as to what condition they will accept a game in, as I've gotten a few disc games which were scratched to all dirty floors and couldn't be read at all. If these games were actually tested then they would have known they didn't work. Also, each used game has a set price regardless of condition, so games missing the box and/or manual aren't any cheaper.

I read a "scathing, tell-all" report from a former GameStop employee that stated it was corporate policy not to test used games.  It was "cheaper to let the customers test the games buy purchasing them and bringing them home".  Whether there is any truth to that I can't honestly say.

Prices are based on demand. Wii games are the hot thing right now, so prices are slow to drop. Less popular games drop faster. NMH is $17.99.

In all fairness, new copies of NMH carry an MSRP of $19.99.  You can get a brand new one off of Amazon.com for $15.99.  Also, GameStop.com's current price for a used copy is $24.99, a full $5.00 more than a brand new copy (which is out of stock).

I respect you and everyone on the forum.

This statement combined with Dirk's avatar crack me up.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
Local gamestop prices around here for NMH is $19.99.  New.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »
I think Ubisoft stopped printing No More Heroes and started printing a combo of No More Heroes and Red Steel for 29.99.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »
I think Ubisoft stopped printing No More Heroes and started printing a combo of No More Heroes and Red Steel for 29.99.

That is interesting. I already own NMH but I have been debating getting RS. Maybe I'll get this and give my copy of NMH to a friend who would enjoy it. Or I could grab a copy of RS on Amazon for less than $10.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »
Red Steel isn't even worth that much.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
NMH just got more expensive with even less value.  The extra package also increased its adverse effect on the environment.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
Red Steel isn't even worth that much.

This.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
First off, I just want to mention that I don't really think Gamestop hate can be compared to Walmart hate. In most cases, Walmart hate is totally unjustified whereas Gamestop hate nearly always has a horror story attached to it.

I'll start down the list of why I hate Gamestop:

1. Most importantly, they do not value games at all. What I mean by this is that they will take garbage trashed up games for trade-in, and then put them out on the shelves in whatever condition they came in. Boxes, manuals, and disc art are of the least concern to them, and they make absolutely no distinction with the price sticker when selling you crap vs. selling you pristine goods.

2. They do not value their customers (the business, not the employees). They offer barely anything for trade-in, they force preorders upon customers just so they can more accurately gauge demand, and they often will steer gamers into buying things (like extended warranties on discs) even though they will never get use out of them once.

3. Gutted games. When I buy a new game, I want that ****er sealed in plastic wrap. "New" does not mean not played. Their corporate policy even dictates the truth of this statement. Try and return an opened "New" game and tell them, "Well, I never played it!" They'll tell you "Sorry, but you can trade it in for (a measly) 20 bucks." Yet they will sell it back to the public for $5 off of MSRP pricing.

4. They are a monopoly. As such they set the standard prices (and policies) of used game sales. Nothing is more frustrating when Gamestop arbitrarily prices games and as a result even eBay and Half.com prices mimic Gamestop prices. Look at the majority of stocked Gamecube games, they all sell for $20+ even though there are 20 copies of each game on the shelf.

5. The employees. I will not say every employee at every store is a worthless waste of life, but I have been to many, many Gamestops and have been met with nothing but problems. Arrogant (ignorant) sales associates are probably my biggest gripe. They are so cocky about their preferences that when anybody buys something they deem unworthy they see fit to rattle off a list of "better" games you should purchase. Also, they are often too lazy to help you look for a damn game when you can't find the box anywhere on the shelf.

All that being said, I will still occasionally shop there when a coupon comes around for last-gen games. I'll raid their super cheap games and grab a bunch of stuff at prices I could never get on eBay and Half.com. Other than that, I refuse to buy anything from them or sell anything to them.

Ugh..

This.  I hate Gamestop with a passion.  Their policies are shady and dishonest.  No, Gamestop, I do not consider a game that has had its plastic wrap removed to be "new", and I'm not going to pay the "new" price for it even though you'll try to get me to do that.  Furthermore, your used games are typically destroyed, and you'll charge the same price for a used game that somebody has wiped their ass with as you will for a game that is prisitine.

Basically, Gamestop has no respect for video games and leeches off our hobby like a pimp leeches off a prostitute.  They care nothing about the games they sell, the people that make them, or the people that play them.  They could be selling widgets for all they care.  They add nothing to the game industry and only serve to take away from it.  If video games disappeared tomorrow, they would move on to some retail space and take advantage of that too.

I hope I didn't beat around the bush here.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »
I don't like retail game stores at all, except for HMV in Piccadilly Circus which has a massive gaming centre where you can play games and try them before buying. I'm not paying £40 for Ninjarbread Man!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 06:11:58 PM »
I liked my old EB games store--used prices were cheaper and the selection greater.  Now after the merger yeah there's 6 new stores in my area but the used prices skyrocketed and they started selling used copies as new--the bad news is this isn't just poor employees but the overall sales manager in my area.  Last game I picked up with a Kirby DS title which the first copy didn't work and the second copy had 3 saved files on it.  The manager stated it was a store display copy but I asked them why they had two then and why did the save files have 100% completion on it. 

Have other stories as well but most of them have been said before--I wouldn't shop @ GS unless they were my only option.  Treat customers who spent $100+ monthly like crap and they wonder why their profits hurt:(.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 01:12:08 AM »
Furthermore, your used games are typically destroyed, and you'll charge the same price for a used game that somebody has wiped their ass with as you will for a game that is prisitine.

Short GS story: I was on the hunt for the RE 0 2 years ago, and during my pursuit I found a case that had deep teeth marks. Whether they were human or animal, I didn't care. I just put it back, and washed my hands thoroughly when I had the chance...

Every time I hear XY publisher talking about how used games are the devil and must be stopped, I think they want to say "Gamestop is the devil", but can't because they do business with them. I mean, ebay, craig's list, Goozex, etc can't be making that much of dent are they?

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2009, 01:47:32 AM »
I found it ironic when, after all these industry comments about the evils of used games, I spotted ads in Prototype for trading in games at Gamestop...

Generally I don't buy their used games, too expensive.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
A lot of times, if you say you dont consider it new, the gamestop is allowed to sell it to you at the used price. (but they try their best not too). Anyone notice that Ebgames employees usually always rocked and gamestop employees did not.  Why?  not sure, but I do know that if I walk into a gamestop I can usually peg if it used to be a ebgames.. try it out!

I remember my store, we forced gamestop into the buy 2 get 1 free deals. I was destroying thier business. Now its a staple in thier every so offen sales. take that gamestop..  of course my store is closed down now  8(  but it still kicked their but all over the place. 

p.s.  if anyone wants a true classic retailer, call game force, the original game store from the 80's  (303)368-4263.  They have some licensed stores out there, but its run by the passion from the owners and employees.  so if someone say, needs to complete a n64 collection.. call them!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2009, 03:00:19 AM »
Well, Gamestop has definitely driven the price of used games up much higher than before they were a huge success.  Prices were already at the break point for me, back then, and now they're just much, much higher.

My issue with GS is pretty simple, I've seen better, in almost every aspect.  I had a Rhino Video Games that was in my area, before GS bought them out, and the story hired knowledgable employees who were fair, didn't push their bias, got to know their regulars, and actually recommended things they thought customers would like, rather than what the company was pushing.  This wasn't just what they did for me, it's what they did for everyone, and they were very successful.

I go to GameStop, and employees are rude, pushy, recommend useless or stupid things, and it's just not much to compare.

Also, prices are higher, but I pointed that out already.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
oh its That guy agian.   jeez.   Actually, if I was to open a GS store, I would forge forward with how I used to run things a while back. (just like your rhino games actually.. always listen to the consumer, figure out what they really want and give recomendations based on that.)  and most likely family gamers (real family) to help the store out too.  that would at least create a positive image in the area.. sadly though, they have no classic titles. 

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 12:56:24 PM »
I am lucky in my town GS is the only place that normally gets games the day they come out. All the employees are really cool and nice at mine. I go in there enough that they aren't annoying about crap anymore to me. I am in there at least once a week or more.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »
oh its That guy agian.   jeez.   Actually, if I was to open a GS store, I would forge forward with how I used to run things a while back. (just like your rhino games actually.. always listen to the consumer, figure out what they really want and give recomendations based on that.)  and most likely family gamers (real family) to help the store out too.  that would at least create a positive image in the area.. sadly though, they have no classic titles.

There is a local store in my area that really puts forth a family/kid friendly image. They promise parents that they will refuse service to kids on school days and what not. They not only sell games, but they have a LAN center, a Guitar Hero setup, pool tables and a DDR machine. I need to go there more. Support the little guy and all that.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
Wow, that sounds pretty awesome, Stratos.  If they're close enough, you should definitely give 'em your money for the service it sounds like they're providing.