Author Topic: WaveBird Suggestion  (Read 6953 times)

Offline AdvancedGamer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« on: March 19, 2003, 10:40:53 AM »
I think they should make a new wavebird with rumble feature (batteries you say?) with a rechargeable battery. Why didn't The N think of this in the first place. comment back.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 10:45:18 AM »
cost

Nintendo probable thought of it, but you have to be realistic. A rumble feature would put extra cost because the wavebird would also have to receive a signal. The battery life would also go down.

Offline David G

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 10:45:58 AM »
I'd like to see it with a docking station.  

Edit: for the rechargable batteries and rumble.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 11:23:42 AM »

I'd like to see it with a docking station. For the rechargable batteries

Yes! I to have wished for this! I mean I have plenty of rechargable batteries (purchased for my Wavebirds), but it is horribly confusing keeping track of them all. A built-in battery + docking station would be a dream come true.

"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 11:33:46 AM »

I'd like to see it with a docking station. For the rechargable batteries

This would increase the cost by a minimum of 125%, would people pay $100 for a controller?
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 12:14:22 PM »
How would a docking station double the price? I have a rechargable docking station for my GBA with 2 battery packs that cost me something like $15.

"cost

Nintendo probable thought of it, but you have to be realistic. A rumble feature would put extra cost because the wavebird would also have to receive a signal. The battery life would also go down."

Yeah, and that's what everybody said about a lit Gameboy Advance- that it would be too expensive, too draining on the batteries, etc. Even *I* said Nintendo would never release a lit GBA. Then Nintendo pulls a fast one on all of us and releases a nice front-lit GBA with rechargable lithium batteries for an affordable price. Who says they can't do it again?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 02:49:50 PM »
What they need to  really do is make  the damn battery light go from green to red  when they are low enough to need replacing.  

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 03:07:49 PM »
they been working on the GBA SP since 2000 or 2001. Nintendo probable have tested many variations to the wavebird. Of course when cost come down we will see a wavebird with rumble etc. but it won't be for awhile. They just figured out how to make it cheaper for them by making it 2.4 Ghz instead of 900 Mhz.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 05:16:35 PM »
For me, it is a bad idea to move to 2.4 ghz wavebirds.

-For one, there is plenty of range already with the 900 mhz ones. I have experienced less problems with 900 mhz phones than with 2.4 ghz ones at my work.

-2nd, microwaves run at 2.4 ghz, that can mess with the signal more than they possibly already do.

-Third, moving to the higher frequency will actually decrease the range that the wavebirds will reach. Just beacuse it is running on a higher frequency does not mean it will go farther. Check my microwave situation. Microwaves don't go any farther than the outer casing of the microwave itself. This is because the frequency is just not a strong enough wave length to go through solid objects as well.

-4th, they can interfere with home wireles networks. The average wireless networks for computing runs at the same 2.4 ghz.

The only reason I can see Nintendo doing this is to save costs, but they have to look at the functionality too. If more issues arise when it changes over, would they even think about going back to the original format?
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 05:19:47 PM »
chances are they already switch. Cost is major factor for the switch. Also, I think that the chip is easy to make. It was like a million chips a month or something.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 05:30:55 PM »
i have many more problems with my new 2.4  phone over my old 900 ones,  i go in the next room now and static galore, same brand phone same price range as the old.
hope the  2.4 wavebird does not act the same...

Offline Kai

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 07:12:41 PM »
I think having a rumble feature in the wavebird is a terrible idea. That would make it like the Logitech wireless controller for the PS2. Twice the batteries (and it eats 'em up) dodgy signal, over three times heavier. Be careful what you wish for.

All I want is some extra colours. I think the WaveBird is perfect.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2003, 09:57:35 PM »
nintendo should take a leaf out of the book of the guy who created the nintendo nexus picture.
if Nintendo can find a way of making a wireless controller with rumble for cheap, they should make wireless controllers standard.
no need for messy wires, or extension cords.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2003, 08:40:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Kai
I think having a rumble feature in the wavebird is a terrible idea. That would make it like the Logitech wireless controller for the PS2. Twice the batteries (and it eats 'em up) dodgy signal, over three times heavier. Be careful what you wish for.

I have a Pelican G3 Wireless Controller. It performs just as well as a WaveBird and it includes the rumble feature (you can also turn the rumble off). It operates on 2 AA batteries. I have had the controller since early to mid January and I have not had to replace the batteries yet.

This controller costs (on the average) approximately $5.00 less than a WaveBird and from every review I have read, I have yet to see anything negative written about it. I would strongly recommend this controller to anyone looking to buy a WaveBird, but would like the option of having the Rumble feature.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2003, 08:43:10 AM »
Regarding a built-in rechargable battery...Keep in mind that rechargable batteries lose their life after a while, so the battery would still need to be replaced, eventually.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline David G

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2003, 09:07:01 AM »
Battery technology is advancing, look at the GBA SP batteries.  

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2003, 09:30:49 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
This would increase the cost by a minimum of 125%, would people pay $100 for a controller?

Target in Australia use to sell Wireless Controls for Nintendo 64, they were 100 Australian
they were cheap plastic type 3rd brand controls.....
I noticed the store near me got 5 in, toke 3-4 months for them all to sell, they never got anymore in...
there are always people who will pay alot of money for stuff... no matter what it looks like  

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2003, 10:39:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq

Originally posted by: Kai

I have a Pelican G3 Wireless Controller. It performs just as well as a WaveBird and it includes the rumble feature (you can also turn the rumble off). It operates on 2 AA batteries. I have had the controller since early to mid January and I have not had to replace the batteries yet.

This controller costs (on the average) approximately $5.00 less than a WaveBird and from every review I have read, I have yet to see anything negative written about it. I would strongly recommend this controller to anyone looking to buy a WaveBird, but would like the option of having the Rumble feature.

Woh that' so sick. The wavebird looked like a good idea but I didn't get it cuz I wanted the rumble feature. Is is just as comfortable as the nintendo controller. I already have a Pelican controller and it's ok. Also I already have 4 controllers so is it worth the purchase?

Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2003, 06:23:03 AM »
I used to own a Pelican corded  controller and beware a few month either some of the buttons or calibration for 1 or both stick will go crazy.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline JP

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2003, 07:29:14 AM »
I got the cube on release day. Currently, I have 2 Nintendo brand corded controllers, 1 3rd party corded controller & 2 WaveBirds. I love the 'birds.

The other day I went over to this guy's house to play Halo. Firstly, I wasn't that impressed. Secondly, when the controller rumbled, it really threw my game off. I asked if there was a way I could turn it off. PLUS, we all had to sit weirdly b/c of how far the cords reached and the way the furniture was arranged. I guess I'm just spoiled by the non-rumbling, wireless goodness of my wavebirds.
JP

Offline Tman

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2003, 05:20:13 PM »

Originally posted by: Berto2K
For me, it is a bad idea to move to 2.4 ghz wavebirds.

-For one, there is plenty of range already with the 900 mhz ones. I have experienced less problems with 900 mhz phones than with 2.4 ghz ones at my work.

-2nd, microwaves run at 2.4 ghz, that can mess with the signal more than they possibly already do.

-Third, moving to the higher frequency will actually decrease the range that the wavebirds will reach. Just beacuse it is running on a higher frequency does not mean it will go farther. Check my microwave situation. Microwaves don't go any farther than the outer casing of the microwave itself. This is because the frequency is just not a strong enough wave length to go through solid objects as well.

-4th, they can interfere with home wireles networks. The average wireless networks for computing runs at the same 2.4 ghz.

The only reason I can see Nintendo doing this is to save costs, but they have to look at the functionality too. If more issues arise when it changes over, would they even think about going back to the original format?

umm, the range of a signal has nothing to with its frequency.  

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
WaveBird Suggestion
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2003, 04:23:38 AM »

Originally posted by: AdvancedGamerWoh that' so sick. The wavebird looked like a good idea but I didn't get it cuz I wanted the rumble feature. Is is just as comfortable as the nintendo controller. I already have a Pelican controller and it's ok. Also I already have 4 controllers so is it worth the purchase?

To me, if you are looking into buying the Wave Bird, but want the added option of the Rumble Feature, I would definitely recommend the Pelican G3 Wireless. It performs just as well as the WaveBird, and it is just as comfortable as Nintendo's controller, although it is slightly bulkier (due to the battery compartment). I have been using it for 3 months now and I have not experienced any problems what-so-ever, and I have not had to change the batteries that were included with the controller, either! The buttons feel and perfom just like Nintendo's and the control stick actually feels more solid than Nintendo's. Plus it is a few dollars less than the WaveBird at most stores. (I paid $25 at Best Buy)
PEACE--->Rhoq