Author Topic: GTA: Would it sell?  (Read 21032 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
GTA: Would it sell?
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2003, 06:07:18 AM »
"I bougth Vice City when it was relesed and I had to borrow a PS2 of a friend of mine. Played the game for 5 days barely sleeping, the 6th day I finished it and the 7th I rested"

are u trying to be funny.....cuz either way it is.

"i heard a statistic that around 50% of all americans read at a grade 5 level"

yea its probably close to that, thats probably why our news papers are written at a 6th grade level.........but i shouldnt get onto that topic again, it pissed too many people off.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2003, 03:13:07 PM »
Yea its sad how people suck at reading. but IMO I had fun with Bloodraine more than GTA's on my cousins PS2. (i got Bloodraine for 15$ and i still think its better.)
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2003, 01:56:28 AM »
OK, I have just come back from a very lengthy session with Vice City - my cousins from Canada are here and they brought their PS2 with them. One's 11 and the other is 6 (!).
Vice City is pretty good. I must say. The Taxi Missions are pretty good, and I think are good to the likes of Crazy Taxi (although they're not as Crazy). The Police missions, Ambulance, and so on are OK. There is one thing that just doesn't make sense to me, and that's the mini-game involving the mini-cars. What The?

Another thing I have to my post from above, the way the cars are just sux. The handling is pretty representetive of how they might handle in real life, but that's a bit hard to determine, since most of the time it feels like you're driving ON THE MOON. Once you're side on a hill, your car goes flipside. I think that all cars from ANY game involving cars should use Acclaim's Burnout 2 crash physics. They are the coolest and jaw-dropping scenes to watch in any game. It makes GT3, Project Gotham and Sega GT 2002 slow like a cow on sleeping drugs by comparison.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2003, 03:17:36 PM »
Yeah, the mini-RC cars are pointless. What's worse are the min-RC planes... And you have to complete two missions using the bastards >_<

Speaking of Burnout 2, I recently unlocked a new cheat, one crash and you die. Makes for some VERY tense racing. No, no! Don't drift into the back of that semi! BAM! *Flips into side of house*

... Drat.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2003, 09:52:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
The video game equivalent of Eminem.

I think that its funny that you say that it is the videogame equivalent of Eminem.  Believe it or not, Eminem is one of the most talented rap artists out their, he is just getting a bad rep because he is white.  Not because he is white, but because he is influencing so many people in white america... anyways, I am off topic, just bothers me when people think that Eminem is the worst thing that has ever happened when lots of black rappers reaching black kids have been doing it for years and it just goes unnoticed, but again... that's the kind of influence the U.S. media has on most of the weak U.S. minds who follow whatever they are told to follow.  I think Nolimit sums it up best when he says

i swear to u, despite being a flaming american, the people that i live with in the country are down right stupid. i dont even know how we could be a super power. i bet if hollywood wanted to they could make most americans think terrorism was a good idea and that we should just sit here and like being bombed......enough americans have accepted it already......damn i am sick of all the stupids walking around.

amen brother
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2003, 03:17:15 AM »
Yo Infernal: Are you talkin about Burnout 2 for Gamecube or PS2?

Off topic, so:
The graphics in GTA3 suck hard. Blurry as hell, and that 'soft' lighting makes it even blurrier. But I guess that can be excused for the absolutely massive city you have to travel in and around. But the graphics suck.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2003, 04:37:05 AM »

i swear to u, despite being a flaming american, the people that i live with in the country are down right stupid. i dont even know how we could be a super power. i bet if hollywood wanted to they could make most americans think terrorism was a good idea and that we should just sit here and like being bombed......enough americans have accepted it already......damn i am sick of all the stupids walking around.

Dont want to bash you americans, but hell, your right. Ive been visiting american high schools and they are about 3 or more years behind in math, languages....pretty much everything. I just wish (please dont take this as too much of an offense) that the american population would get more involved in politics, I believe that could avoid alot of pollution, social imbalance and war.

Back to topic, its not like the US is the only place GTA sold like Hotcakes. Its really alarming how violent and stupid the western world is becoming. For all my friends GTA is the best game ever, and I always considered them intelligent people.
LZ 2005

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2003, 04:56:17 AM »

Back to topic, its not like the US is the only place GTA sold like Hotcakes. Its really alarming how violent and stupid the western world is becoming. For all my friends GTA is the best game ever, and I always considered them intelligent people.

I dont see how what games someone enjoys playing can be used as a deciding factor in determining their intelligence level?
My brother in law is a doctor, his favorite movie is Happy Gilmore, does that make him stupid?
I golf with an accountant and lawyer every week and both collect comics, are they morons?

Get the point.

GTA is a good game, I find it to be fun to play, it lets me get out pent up aggresion in a safe and enjoyable way. Why is that so wrong?

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2003, 06:12:53 AM »

I dont see how what games someone enjoys playing can be used as a deciding factor in determining their intelligence level?

The discussion is about how brainwashed the Americans are by the media, not how stupid they are for playing GTA but how stupid they are for following what the media says blindly.

Anywyas, this should really get back on topic.

I only think it would sell if it was an exclusive.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2003, 06:34:46 AM »
smart people can do dumb things, but i wouldnt really consider either of those things dumb......thinking gta is the best game on the other hand.....that is dumb.....its like saying triplex is the best movie......u can have your opinion, but its wrong. besides all that though, i thikn that unless rockstar finds some really new things to put in the game, the craze will be gone by 2004. i thikn there is stll a lot they could do, so we will see. i wont buy another gta3 copy cat. if gta ever does make it to the cube, i will buy it if they make some serious improvements. cuz frankly gtavc imo was a step back. ok maybe not a step back, but when u have a sequal, u expect a certain amount of the game to be inproved, and all though they did improve a few things, it wasnt enough to make me get it. i recently got mafia for pc and think it is better. and even if gta4 or 5 or whatever wasnt exclusive to the cube, i still think it would sell 500k. i would be suprised if it didnt become the highest selling nonexclusive game for the cube.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2003, 09:37:36 AM »
Cubedcanuck what I was saying is that thinking that GTA is the best game in the world and the best that the PS2 has to offer, unfortunately an opinion widely shared, alarms me. I myself thoroughly enjoyed GTA, but I know tons of people who play GTA all the time and basically just run over and shoot people while the gore/infinite ammo cheats are applied. This is a behaviour that IMO doesnt seem intellectual at all.

And to you nolimit19, your right, Mafia is better. But its a totally different game, a game that builds on atmosphere, realism, story, authentic Mafia feel. To compare Mafia to GTA seems like an insult. Mafia was developed for several years and achieves a totally different gameplay than GTA.

Really amazing to think that the best Mafia game out there was developed by Croatian (or Czech not sure) people.
LZ 2005

Offline digitalshogun

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2003, 10:06:43 AM »
Wow, a lot of pent up stuff over such a fluff game. I would buy a version of Grand Theft Auto if it came out for the cube. Why not. Its a great unwind game. Kill a few gangbangers and then work your way up to a rooftop to say how much mayhem you can create by going sniper on the general population. Is the series a masterpiece? No. But it is a pretty solid game designed for and marketed to casual gamers. Most of the posts seem to be talking more about game content and the feelings that people have towards the mature themed subjected matter. Many people have commented on what a fabulous game ED is, but these are normally people who have heard the reviews and put in the time to test the game out fully (in other words a "hardcore" gamer) The flipside is that a lot of casual gamers played the game for 20 mins and were not hooked right away. This is one of the possible reasons why the game (unfortunately) did not sell a huge number of units. GTA on the other hand is designed to peak the interest of the player with in the first 20 seconds. Replay value for a hardcore gamer will be pretty minimal as we spend so much time playing that it is possible to get sick of the game rather quickly. The casual gamers never play that long, normally playing before going out or for a bit after work/class. They never get bored with the game because they are not playing it for long periods.

-End Rant

Offline jasstoltz

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2003, 11:09:33 AM »
Didn't Miyamoto recently say something about how his goal is to have games where anyone can pick them up and have fun instantly. Seems like GTA achieves that, only it's not for everyone, as Nintendo produced games aim to be. Mario Kart games, one of the best for pick up and play, are loved by "casual" and "hard-core" gamers alike. Personally, I haven't bought ED because, regardless how good everyone says it is, I don't want to "invest" hours before the game pays off. I guess that makes me a casual gamer, but I want my gaming time to be enjoyable, not work. And in that, with it's mayhem options, in addition to its story focus, is where GTA excels, and why it would do well on any next gen. system.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2003, 11:26:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
Yo Infernal: Are you talkin about Burnout 2 for Gamecube or PS2?

Off topic, so:
The graphics in GTA3 suck hard. Blurry as hell, and that 'soft' lighting makes it even blurrier. But I guess that can be excused for the absolutely massive city you have to travel in and around. But the graphics suck.

First off, Burnout 2 for PS2 =P
And second, yeah, the blurry graphics in GTAIII are thanks to the 'trails' option. It's on by default, and is basically a huge amount of motion blur. Quite annoying.
It can be turned off, giving everything a crisper, more solid look. But the frame rate takes a hit -_-