Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Software Showcase E3 2012 Livestream  (Read 2337 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Nintendo 3DS Software Showcase E3 2012 Livestream
« on: June 06, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »

Nintendo has an additional conference to showcase 3DS wares.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/30607

Join us again live for Nintendo's 3DS showcase. The event begins at 6PT. Scroll down below the chat to find realtime updates.

Having trouble with the chat? You can also connect with a dedicated IRC client. Server: irc.browsingtheinternet.com Channel: #nwr

5:28:21: We're here waiting in line again; 32 minutes to go!

5:59:12: Okay, we're sitting down, second row.

6:02:52: They're still checking for extra seats... there was a huge line for extra people wanting to get in.

6:05:54: We will see Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate, also Warren Spector is here, so probably Epic Mickey.

6:08:43: Reggie just finished playing with his 3DS. Got a Regginator StreetPass.

6:09:10: It's starting.

6:09:28: Reggie steps up.

6:10:00: Reggie fumbles the name of the event.

6:10:33: Reggie laments losing at Mario Kart 7 to Scott Moffitt... once.

6:10:49: Scott Moffitt is on stage.

6:11:05: The zingers go back and forth.

6:11:34: Introducing a guy that is a trending topic on Twitter, more popular than Reggie...

6:11:40: Non-specific action figure!

6:11:52: Moffitt is holding him up.

6:12:32: Reggie says at least he says he doesn't need a sword to kick ass and take names. Moffitt just says "alright" and everybody laughs.

6:13:09: Neal and Aaron's Mii are on the screen from StreetPassing Moffitt.

6:13:34: People on the show floor wanted to know more about 3DS. He's got more.

6:14:06: Live demos, videos, and new reveals coming from Mario to Dracula (but didn't we already know about that?)

6:14:16: Here come the sales numbers.

6:15:08: Castlevania has been on Nintendo systems for a long time, Mirror of Fate video is showing.

6:17:57: Producer of Konami Digital, Dave Cox arrives.

6:19:46: Trevor Belmont has a chain whip, must fight giant foes. He has direct attacks and weaker area attacks, as well as spells. He can grab enemy weapons to use against them.

6:20:33: Secondary weapons such as the boomerang. The boomerang sticks to enemies and causes damage over time or can be charged but you are vulnerable.

6:21:13: R to swing across gaps. Double jump, lots of acrobatics.

6:21:19: Alucard

6:22:02: The map is shown on both screens and it looks like the stylus is used there.

6:22:22: The castle itself is alive.

6:22:38: Coming this fall.

6:23:00: Moffitt is back up, asks for a chain whip weapon for the office. Audience groans.

6:23:39: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon video. Luigi is "less heroic" than Trevor Belmont.

6:24:34: If you haven't seen these videos yet, we'll get them up on Youtube soon.

6:25:08: Everybody laughs at Luigi trapped in a falling elevator.

6:25:21: The game "finally gives Mario's little brother a little respect."

6:25:46: Holiday season, retail and download. The trailer should be in the eShop right now.

6:26:09: Warren Spector comes up with Peter Ong. "Another kind of specter"

6:26:47: Last time he was up with Nintendo it was a few months away from the Epic Mickey, since it was successful, he's back

6:27:02: Now they're covering forgotten video game heroes instead of cartoons.

6:27:30: Peter Ong's idea was to draw things on the bottom screen and have them appear on the top screen.

6:27:53: They weren't sure what to do with that, but they got a call from Disney.

6:28:25: Drawing and erasing was perfect and Ong was a huge Disney fan, and he used to beat Castle of Illusion once EVERY DAY.

6:28:37: He drew from that game in every game he's worked on.

6:28:59: He wanted to explore what he could do with that and drawing.

6:29:56: The witch Mizrabel is back and has kidnapped Minnie and trapped other toons who Mickey must rescue.

6:30:09: Video is playing.

6:31:48: Dreamrift and Junction Point and excited to bring these forgotten characters back.

6:32:11: Moffitt is back up, what cheesy transition will he use?

6:32:36: Paper Mario Sticker Star.

6:32:52: Nate Bihldorff from Treehouse is demoing the game.

6:33:20: Foldable characters, popup scenery, a living breathing diorama for 3DS.

6:33:44: He did the English writing for the first Paper Mario, his first, and worked on the rest of the series.

6:34:19: The something new in this iteration is stickers. He is forced into an impromptu battle... he's describe those mechanics in a second.

6:34:47: Stickers are stuck all over the environment, with enemies, they are important for everything, especially battle.

6:35:19: Familiar battle concepts from previous games, but stickers control the entire show, the menus are gone.

6:35:30: Action battle system remains.

6:36:16: He's got lots of stickers, boots, hammers, ice flower, Pow, fire hammer, broken shoe, metal boot, metal hammer, door, shell.

6:38:10: A fan is used within the environment, he turns it off to stop the breeze. A Toad is crying since his flowers blew away, he is helping him even though he thinks it's funny that he's crying. He sticks a flower sticker down, ice flower, fire flower. shiny (rare) fire flower.... There are several more hammers. He used three but got 6 back and got a max HP +5 heart boost.

6:38:36: RPG leveling up, but you do that by solving people's problems, finding secret sticker caches.

6:38:50: Boost health, attacks, everything through stickers.

6:39:10: He just jumped to outside the main town of the game with a very perky Toad who has a stall with a very important role.

6:39:40: You bring items, he has Fan, cat-o-luck, scissors, faucet, trumpet

6:40:17: The fan sticker is much bigger, special items have special purposes. He switches again to make use of the fan, he comes to a windmill with no wind.

6:40:29: Goes into Paperizing mode to stick the sticker down.

6:41:01: The giant fan arrives like a sunrise and blows everything. Big fanfare. "They told me I wasn't allowed to make a Mario's biggest fan joke."

6:41:28: He won't go in the windmill due to spoilers.

6:42:34: Another fight. In the fight, Mario looks in the stickerbook while enemies wait. He uses a Battle spinner, he got two coins that lets him use two stickers. 3 would have given him 3.

6:42:50: Stickers also have different backgrounds, orange, red, silver, blue, rainbow.

6:42:59: Back to Scott.

6:43:26: Launching in the holiday season, trailer is on the eShop.

6:43:54: A few more third party games to show. Kingdom hearts is first.

6:46:25: StreetPass, DreamEater AR cards, powerful finishing moves, attacks by touch screen control. Demo coming soon to eShop, launches 7/31.

6:46:37: Scribblenauts Unlimited trailer is next.

6:47:42: New feature is an unbound world where Maxwell helps solve problems.

6:48:32: Sizzle reel. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Transformers Prime: The Game, Rabbids Rumble, Heroes of Ruin.

6:48:58: Just a few months away from "Pokeymon" Black and White 2.

6:49:57: Nintendo eShop ... Metacritic says some of the highest rated games are in the eShop. Customers buy an average of 4.7 games from the eShop.

6:50:53: 70% of 3DS system connected to internet, 58 million SwapNote messages via SpotPass, 5 downloaded titles over a million times, Netflix, SwapNote, Zelda Four Swords, Pokedex 3D, Nintendo Video... so all free software.

6:51:11: 60 Million Nintendo Video views.

6:51:21: Threediots will premiere.

6:51:53: Looks as bad as it sounds.

6:52:20: Shrinking humans, vengeful lobstermen, lots of explosions. It's on Nintendo Video right now. I'm sorry.

6:52:42: Pokemon Dream Radar and Pokedex 3D Pro coming this fall.

6:53:28: KH3D, Amazing Spider Man, Rhythm Thief, Heroes of Ruin demos coming this summer.

6:53:41: Lego Batman highest selling lego game of all time.

6:53:59: Lego Batman 2 has Superman characters, there's a demo in the eShop RIGHT NOW.

6:55:05: eShop bridging packaged and downloadable games. New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be the first doing both, and you can also go to a store and buy a download code.

6:55:13: Million coin goal in the game.

6:55:29: Nate and JC Rodriguez are up to demo the game, finally.

6:55:41: JC is playing so Nate can talk.

6:55:59: It's all about coins, but expect the normal single player campaign.

6:56:23: Video finally comes up, he's in a desert level.

6:56:40: Rings turn enemies into gold.

6:57:06: Golden fireflower turns everything into gold, bricks, enemies... enemies give multiple coins.

6:57:16: Music so far sounds recycled.

6:57:30: Coin rush mode involves StreetPass.

6:57:55: Any level you beat is available into the mode. You pick a pack and you play through three levels.

6:58:31: You have to get every coin you possibly can, 1ups become golden mushrooms (50 coins), end-of-level extra time also converted into coins, you only have one life.

6:59:08: Totals go into StreetPass bank, other players try to beat those totals. Great speedrunning feature.

6:59:27: Entire single-player game can be played with a second player.

6:59:51: Super Leaf appears, camera is tied to player in the lead.

7:00:52: Seems to be ability to store a powerup. Buddy gets turned into a bubble easily due to flying away, could be bad for productive multiplayer. There are traveling green blocks similar to SMW.

7:01:26: The game will be playable tomorrow in Nintendo's booth... why did they wait?!

7:01:57: Coming 8/19 for everybody else, of course expect our coverage early tomorrow.

7:02:41: Ask Reggie if it was worth it, he gives a "Nintendo of America-specific big thumbs up."

7:03:01: It's over.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Software Showcase E3 2012 Livestream
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
THat was FUCKEN TERRIBLE. Seriously Not a single new game?

I'm sorry but NSMB2 looks BORING. Who cares about the coins? Why is a million important? Does NOT seem like they are trying at ALL in this game.

Castlevania just doesn't look right.

They NEEDED TO SHOW US STUFF NOT SHOWN YESTERDAY!!

Paper Mario does seem interesting but spent WAY TOO much time on it, a quick strait to the point trailer would have been better.

I guess Animal Crossing is 2013 title? Which is fine I want them to take there time but a trailer would have been nice.

No 2d metroid. no note worthy game on e-shop
nothing new.
Why even mention the action figure when nothing to show for it?

I was thinking a swap note update would be mentioned since they mentioned the ap, or new stuff for e-shop. NOTHING. That new nintendo video program looks HORRIBLE.

This is 3DS presentation is a total EPIC FAIL.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:12:01 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
My disappointment for this E3 has gone through the roof. Nothing exciting or new at all, in a year where they HAD to bring their A game. I am very sorely disappointed and am sure that Nintendo will feel the heavy after effects of this. I'm sure share prices will plummet even more than they have done already.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:20:04 PM »
They showed like 14 seconds of those games yesterday. I liked the presentation. Scott Moffitt said he was going to show more of those games... and he did. Delivered.

I think Castlevania looks awesome. It looks like David Cox took all the criticism he got from Lords of Shadow being too different to heart because what was shown seemed to play it too safe. I liked how Lords of Shadow strayed yet still felt like a Castlevania game. I hope MercurySteam goes their own way with Mirror of Fate instead of trying to figure out what Koji Igarashi would do. In any case, I'm really looking forward to the game. It's at the top of my most wanted 3DS titles list.

I'll probably buy Paper Mario. It just looks like a lot of fun and I don't want to miss out on it like I missed out on The Thousand Year Door.

I'm not too sure about New Super Mario Bros. 2. I like how the leaf changes the level design but I feel like I played this game twice now. It's the same reason New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't inspire me to buy a Wii U. I'll probably play both and enjoy them but they're not must-have games to me, especially not since they're both following the absolutely excellent 3D Land.

The only other game that really caught my eye was Luigi's Mansion but I never beat the original. I'm more intrigued because I want to give the game a chance.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:16 PM »
So I'm in for the following:
- Castlevania
- Paper Mario
- Epic Mickey
- Mario 2
- Gray/Grey
- Fire Emblem (announced afterward)
- Layton 5 (not announced but inevitable)

Yeah... I'm good.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »
I'll just copy/paste my thoughts from my press conference thread:

"Well, the 3DS press conference is over now, and it was...underwhelming.  I won't say it was "bad", because it was (aside from the insufferable amount of developer chat before a few of the videos) fairly well-paced and Nintendo did show games that our audience in general probably cares about.  But there were no surprises, and this conference managed to make New Super Mario Bros: Golden Showers look even more dull and uninspired than it did yesterday.  Why, exactly, was this press conference needed? Every game shown here was shown either in video or demo form at yesterday's press conference.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate looks good, though that demo ended in a really strange manner.  Luigi's Mansion 2 looks...like a Luigi's Mansion game.  I would have liked to see more new mechanics.  Epic Mickey 2: Power of Illusion looks incredibly average, like a game that wouldn't be out of place in the lineup of GBA shovelware.  Sticker Paper Mario: The Stickering looks ok, though the whole concept of gathering these stickers so you can constantly use them would bug my OCD personality.  I really wish Nintendo would revive the Super Mario RPG brand, though.  I'm kind of done with the whole "Paper Mario" idea.

I'm really surprised at how strangely anemic the 3DS's lineup looks right now.  The Vita right now is incredibly weak and it's going to come out of this E3 looking even weaker, yet Nintendo did not take the opportunity to deliver the Final Blow with a better lineup of games.  Instead, the Vita will limp along to potentially make a recovery at TGS.  I guess Nintendo rushed too many projects to help the 3DS recover last year, so they're a bit barren this year."
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
Wow.  Massively disappointed with the 3DS showcase. Castlevania was pretty cool, I guess.  They went into enough detail that it would be good for anyone who is really excited about the game.  Outside of that it was pretty much a non-event though.  The next biggest announcement was probably about some upcoming demos.

Saddest moment was seeing the upcoming software collage and realizing that the only games I'm possibly interested in are Heroes of Ruin, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Scribblenauts. Hardly a ringing endorsement for a system I was saying recently had more good games in the pipeline.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
I forgot about Heroes of Ruin. Make that 3 games on 3DS I'll be getting this year. Who needs the Wii U? I have more than enough on 3DS to keep me busy. Not to mention The Last Story.

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
Nintendo lied to us.  They said "New 3DS games from our 3rd party partners and from 1st party Nintendo" There wasn't a single new game.  That confernce was probably just to make people want to  buy it or to make there stock value increase.  Castlevania and Paper Mario looked cool, though.

And about NSMB2: I think that game is going to go down in history as the worst Mario platformer ever.  Coins is the worse gimmick ever.  I love Mario and when I get a 3DS i will difinitely buy it, but the gameplay looks so safe and lackluster I don't even think casuals would pay $40 for that.  Granted it is multiplayer, but Nintendo is going to need to add more if they want people to buy it.  Maybe DLC or custom stages or online?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »
6:57:16: Music so far sounds recycled.

I'm not thrilled by the sound of that at all.  I hate the NMSB main theme.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:53:26 AM »
The New Super Mario Bros. U music, on the other hand is new and pretty nice.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:12 AM »
I liked this showcase. Yeah, we didn't really get any announcements, but they went into a lot more detail on what we got Tuesday and made me a lot more interested in NSMB2 and Paper Mario. There's no one big game, but it's a solid lineup for the fall.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »
There were definitely some games shown at this showcase or mentioned afterwards that I'm interested in; namely Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. The problem with this showcase, and indeed with Nintendo's E3 showing generally, is that we all knew these games were coming. For me there were no pleasant surprises. Even a little hint or two would have been welcome. Had Nintendo even hinted at a new handheld Star Fox, a new downloadable titles perhaps, or even a remake of Majora's Mask, they would have got their fans excited. Not only did we not get these new game announcements, we didn't even get a tease that these games would be coming. With E3 2012 now finished I know roughly the same amount about the 3DS release schedule as I did at the end of E3 2011. It's very dissappointing.
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
I was disappointed in the main press conference because I didn't feel like there was enough shown to justify purchasing a Wii U at launch. Currently, I don't expect to be there at launch though I absolutely will buy one at some point. I'll make my final decision once the launch lineup is revealed.

I was not disappointed in the 3DS software showcase because while I knew most of those games existed, I knew next to nothing about them. It was nice to see Paper Mario and Mirror of Fate in action. Both are day 1 purchases. For me, the difference between Wii U and 3DS is that there are more than enough titles coming out this fall for 3DS to make up for the lack of future tease trailers.  I don't have tons of free time to devote to games, but I feel like I have tons to play on 3DS.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:42:41 AM by Adrock »