Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 216673 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #550 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
Anyone listen to the Gamecritics link above?  I've never even heard of it, but I'll check it out and let you know what I think.  Always looking for new shows.  Just started a new job where I'll have plenty of time to listen.

As far as invisible walls, I don't mind sarcasm and insults, as long as its directed at every company.  Those guys really came off of some nerds/jocks who were sick of Sony in 3rd and felt their day had finally come.  What annoyed me most was the idea that your an a$$hole if you didn't buy Madworld or The Conduit.  If we don't want it, we don't want it.  Developing/publishing games is not a charity.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 25, 2009, 01:26:29 AM »
Game Critics were reading their "Sony rulez" fan fiction, it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Seriously.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 25, 2009, 05:01:43 AM »
Competition is a good thing, and it may motivate NOA to release [..] Fatal Frame [..] in the US.

Tecmo fucked the controls up and refused to unfuck them when told to do so, I don't think Nintendo should give that game an international release if Tecmo doesn't even bother to unbreak it.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #553 on: August 25, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
Honestly, I wish Nintendo would just release that game regardless. It's sad that it's going to sit there and fans of the series outside of Japan aren't going to be able to experience it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 25, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
I don't think there are many fans who will like it because of the franchise even with broken controls (and tons of other bugs from what I heard), it may be reasonable to release it fixed but the broken game won't make many people happy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 25, 2009, 10:38:58 AM »
Nintendo has quality control standards. The minimum of functional controls was set for US release, Tecmo didn't want to meet that, end of story..... so far.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 25, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »
Yet Nintendo was publishing it, why didn't Tecmo buckle under their strict control? Is Tecmo really that arrogant?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »
They already got the Other M contract, so they weren't to worried about it?

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
... at this point I can't blame them for being more than a little annoyed with Nintendo at this point.

Er, why?  What has Nintendo done wrong...?

Even one accepts the notion that they have cause to be annoyed because of the lack of "hardcore" titles on the wii, it doesn't seem like that has much to do with Nintendo -- it's the 3rd parties who are continuing to focus solely on the ps3/xbox.  Capcom could have reused the RE4 engine and made a followup on the wii; judging from RE4 sales, it probably would have been very popular.  But ... they didn't.

Anyway, I think the reason these idiots are spewing bile the way they are is that they just don't like the image of the wii.  It's like a little kid throwing a tantrum over the new bike you bought him because grandma's bike is the same color...

If Nintendo had used the same testosterone-laden posturing that its competitors did, it almost certainly would have failed in the market -- but these guys would be happy.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #559 on: August 25, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
Seeing their world crumble makes me happy.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 25, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »
... at this point I can't blame them for being more than a little annoyed with Nintendo at this point.

Er, why?  What has Nintendo done wrong...?

Even one accepts the notion that they have cause to be annoyed because of the lack of "hardcore" titles on the wii, it doesn't seem like that has much to do with Nintendo -- it's the 3rd parties who are continuing to focus solely on the ps3/xbox.  Capcom could have reused the RE4 engine and made a followup on the wii; judging from RE4 sales, it probably would have been very popular.  But ... they didn't.

Actually, it has everything to do with Nintendo.  Nintendo did a poor job planning out their software schedule, leading to this total drought of non-Blue Ocean titles since Mario Kart Wii came out.  Instead of focusing on developing more titles of that nature, they wasted time on things like Wii Music.  We could have, and should have, had titles like Pikmin 3 by now instead.  On a Nintendo platform, everyone follows Nintendo's lead and Nintendo went for the Blue Ocean/casual crowd.  That Sega decided to be a hold-out and keep publishing titles for us is pretty incredible, given that even Nintendo wasn't doing that for the last 1 1/2 years.  If Nintendo had led like a good console manufacturer should, the variety in the marketplace would probably be better than it is now.  So yeah, I think they have a genuine grievance with Nintendo.  3rd parties deserve their share of the blame as well, but they only went where Nintendo was already going.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:35:14 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #561 on: August 25, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »
That is the only effective argument to lay out, which is why I've used it for trolling in the past.

It's chum for a pack of IanSharks.

tho you'd still have to zero in on third parties, cuz their historic/traditional role WAS/IS to provide entertainment products that differentiated themselves from the first party products; to provide what the console maker was not.  these days it seems the overuling approach to achieve differentiation is to focus on a different platform rather than diversifying an existing library.  something has gone awry in these latter TV Box Machine Wars: idea of pursuing "demographics."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:14:13 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 25, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »
Seeing their world crumble makes me happy.
Yet they still get internet hits which leads to money hats. So technically, their world is only semi-crumbling.

An earth-shattering world crumbling is Factor 5 closing up shop. Karma is my favorite thing in the entire world.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 25, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »
On a Nintendo platform, everyone follows Nintendo's lead

Well then there's your problem.  Maybe third parties oughta grow a pair and make their own games instead of just making cheap knockoffs of stuff.  And besides, when Nintendo made a majority of "core games," like Zelda, Metroid, and SSBB, and with stuff like RE4 and hell even the Call of Duty games pulling down millions, they didn't say "Hey, now THERE'S an opportunity, we need to put, say, FIGHTING games, because there is a huge market for fighting games on Wii, what with the highest selling and most popular fighting game of all time, SSBB, being for the system."  They usually say something about how they can't "beat Nintendo" or something.

So when Nintendo makes core games, third parties just ignore it or run around yelping about how "Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems, we can't compete, BAWWWWW!"  And when Nintendo has some core game downtime (as it takes time to make those games, as opposed to say, Wii Fit), it's all "Whelp, just goes to show, Wii is non-games for non-gaming grandmas."  It's like they were already looking for a reason to not make Wii games, and then they found one.  And you say this like 3rd parties have had great success aping Nintendo's games like Wii fit and Wii Sports, when they really haven't.   EA Active might be a small success at around a million right now, but Wii Fit has sold somewhere in the 20 million range.

Nintendo is not to blame for third parties.  Seriously.  They have had AMPLE opportunity to create high quality games for the Wii and attempt to market them, but they've either ignored the market or threw around stereotypes/demographics/downright insults to Wii owners.  It's like you are trying to blame a hip, cool kid at school because a lot of people try to cramp his style and failing at it.  Maybe if third parties would just BE THEMSELVES instead of Nintendo-Lite or bitching about how Nintendo's popular, they'd have better reputations.  Take, for example, Monster Hunter 3 in Japan, highest selling third party game this generation there.  Core game, Wii.  And this isn't a "casualized" or "focus-tested" Blue-Ocean blahblahblah Monster Hunter.  It's just Monster Hunter 3.

An earth-shattering world crumbling is Factor 5 closing up shop. Karma is my favorite thing in the entire world.

That's not nearly as gratifying as GRIN closing up.  It's like somebody wrote a fanfiction about being a Wii fan and seeing this actual Wii-hating developer (The president had quotes as such) go from major mover on the PS360 front to choking on its own blood after three straight failures, one a complete destruction of a beloved NES classic by making it some kind of "Mature" game mutant.

Ooo~  Get goosebumps just thinking about it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:54:57 PM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 25, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
On a Nintendo platform, everyone follows Nintendo's lead

Well then there's your problem.  Maybe third parties oughta grow a pair and make their own games instead of just making cheap knockoffs of stuff.  And besides, when Nintendo made a majority of "core games," like Zelda, Metroid, and SSBB, and with stuff like RE4 and hell even the Call of Duty games pulling down millions, they didn't say "Hey, now THERE'S an opportunity, we need to put, say, FIGHTING games, because there is a huge market for fighting games on Wii, what with the highest selling and most popular fighting game of all time, SSBB, being for the system."  They usually say something about how they can't "beat Nintendo" or something.

So when Nintendo makes core games, third parties just ignore it or run around yelping about how "Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems, we can't compete, BAWWWWW!"  And when Nintendo has some core game downtime (as it takes time to make those games, as opposed to say, Wii Fit), it's all "Whelp, just goes to show, Wii is non-games for non-gaming grandmas."  It's like they were already looking for a reason to not make Wii games, and then they found one.  And you say this like 3rd parties have had great success aping Nintendo's games like Wii fit and Wii Sports, when they really haven't.   EA Active might be a small success at around a million right now, but Wii Fit has sold somewhere in the 20 million range.

Nintendo is not to blame for third parties.  Seriously.  They have had AMPLE opportunity to create high quality games for the Wii and attempt to market them, but they've either ignored the market or threw around stereotypes/demographics/downright insults to Wii owners.  It's like you are trying to blame a hip, cool kid at school because a lot of people try to cramp his style and failing at it.  Maybe if third parties would just BE THEMSELVES instead of Nintendo-Lite or bitching about how Nintendo's popular, they'd have better reputations.  Take, for example, Monster Hunter 3 in Japan, highest selling third party game this generation there.  Core game, Wii.  And this isn't a "casualized" or "focus-tested" Blue-Ocean blahblahblah Monster Hunter.  It's just Monster Hunter 3.

I must say, those are some really goods points Deguello, have you ever considered being a consultant at Capcom or Ubisoft?  Sounds like they could use someone like you to finally straighten them out.  Hell, I'd even attach this post to your resume.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:21 PM »
That post was a joy to read.

black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 26, 2009, 12:26:03 AM »
Take, for example, Monster Hunter 3 in Japan, highest selling third party game this generation there.  Core game, Wii.  And this isn't a "casualized" or "focus-tested" Blue-Ocean blahblahblah Monster Hunter.  It's just Monster Hunter 3.
To Capcom's credit, it worked out really well. But while I'm really interested in RE: Darkside Chronicles, I get this strange feeling that Capcom's Mikami-less RE team thinks we're not too bright to handle a survivor horror game.

I'm grinning at GRIN's death too. =)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 26, 2009, 02:50:45 AM »
I think EA considers EA Sports Active a success, noone (reasonable) expects to outsell Nintendo but they do expect certain returns on their investment and apparently EA Sports Active provided that.

As for the pathetic state, let me nominate something: Over-reliance on publisher provided review copies! You regularly see sites ignoring recently released games with the comment "don't have a review copy yet". This bit a hardware testing site in the ass when they got their testing samples from manufacturers and one of them sent them a hand picked RAM stick that tolerated overclocking to much higher values than most of the sticks of that type do. There's a reason proper consumer review groups buy all the test objects themselves.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:53:55 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 26, 2009, 03:08:46 AM »
Well I doubt a publisher is gonna have a special version of a game with all the issues fixed just for the review copy (that would be beyond impractical).
But yes, a dedicated site should not have a problem with buying some games for review when review copies are not provided.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2009, 07:48:35 AM »
Most of the time, when I see the "Don't have a review copy yet" excuse, that's BEFORE the game comes out; when the game does come out, they do fork over and buy the game and review it if they think it'll draw interest from their audience. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 26, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »
Most of the time, when I see the "Don't have a review copy yet" excuse, that's BEFORE the game comes out; when the game does come out, they do fork over and buy the game and review it if they think it'll draw interest from their audience. 

I regularly see it for less popular games.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
Well, if the games are less popular, then they have to decide if covering the game is worth it for their budget.  Can't expect them to buy every game that comes out.

If you're going to argue that they don't regard any 3rd party Wii title as relevant enough to purchase for review, well then I'll concede that point; that is often the case.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »
Pretty sure sites like IGN buy almost everything out there.  They review all sorts of crap, which is what drove Damon far far away (although he's still stuck w/ some of the less than desirable Wiiware titles).

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »
It seems like it might be kinda fun to review real crap, if you don't have to personally pay for it, and have a ready venue in which to gleefully expression your derision...