Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 216641 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #650 on: September 25, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
It's pathetic they didn't even spell Pixel the correct way.  Talk about lazy.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 25, 2009, 05:22:09 PM »
Is pixlbit a response to the "p____" state of NWR?  MYSTERY

I'd like to buy a vowel or three!!

But seriously, we have a very finicky site/forum relationship here.

We have a staff that will rip stories out of the forums and post them on the front page without a single mention that they were tipped off by the forums, which would help to encourage front-pagers to maybe venture into the forums and help build our "little" community.

Then we have the forum people that will see a thread posted in the talkback section without the actual story in the post, just a link leading to the front page, and we get upset that they won't just copy/paste the story into the forums instead forcing us to visit the front page for the story/article/editorial/interview.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:30:09 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #652 on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
Transparency in location and content would be nice.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 25, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »
It's nice to want things

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 26, 2009, 06:29:32 AM »
If a person doesn't play it all the way through, how can he rate the rest of this game?

F, failed to be engaging enough to even warrant playing that far.

Just to be safe, I'll watch the first 20 minutes. I'm sure the experience of the first 20 minutes will be the same all the way through the whole film.

As Yahtzee said, declaring something **** in the first few hours is perfectly valid and professional but there is no guarantee that a good game will stay good so if it's fun you should keep playing, if it's not you can flame it. It's the weakest link that counts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #655 on: September 26, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »
This is a never-ending battle.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 28, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
It's the Never-Ending Horrible Game Reviews Story.

Not ever going to be made by Jim Henson Productions.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:26:20 PM by Peachylala »
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 29, 2009, 05:58:41 AM »
Jim Hansen? The Never Ending Story just isn't right if it's not by Michael Ende (seriously, when I saw the movie I wondered why they stopped after the introduction!).

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 29, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »
Because it told kids that acid was A-OK ;)
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 29, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »
And I corrected Jim Henson's name. What a terrible error.

And I believe that the game review industry as a whole, sans a couple of people, take acid. How else would someone give MGS4 a flawless score?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #660 on: September 29, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
First of all, I hope you guys realize that Pixlbit.com is actually Nick and Neal's personal project. May I remind you that they both have writing experiences as well as experiences attending events, meeting with PR people and getting review copies for NWR. So when they go into the creation of Pixlbit they come with the experience they have earned from all the events and people they have met while working with us. So please, don't resort to insulting them in this thread. They know what they are doing. Trust me.

Blacknmild: This is something that you may not like, but we don't get our stories from the forums. What we do is that if we find a story worth writing about we send each other through email messages the link, then someone writes a story up, have it edited, then its posted.

We will give credit to the forumer IF they sent us the link to the story, like we have done in the past (like when Unclebob alerted us that Flipnote was already available). We always encourage the readers to submit stories and we will give them credit if something is written.

So again, if we don't credit the forums in any way in our stories is because we found the story through other ways and we didn't notice it was posted on the forums. I suggest that if you want the forums to stand out more you send us the story the minute you are about to post it. Hell, even send us the link to the thread so we can read what is going on and catch up with any details we may have missed while we work on the story.

Finally, we still post full stories in the talkback thread. The ONLY stories we only posts snippets of are interviews and special features which don't happen often.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 29, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »
First of all, I hope you guys realize that Pixlbit.com is actually Nick and Neal's personal project. May I remind you that they both have writing experiences as well as experiences attending events, meeting with PR people and getting review copies for NWR. So when they go into the creation of Pixlbit they come with the experience they have earned from all the events and people they have met while working with us. So please, don't resort to insulting them in this thread. They know what they are doing. Trust me.

I think people were teasing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #662 on: September 29, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »

I think people were teasing.

I know, just reminding people about the site and who runs it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:12 PM »
Sometimes I think Pap was born without a funny bone.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 29, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »
You can't always tell right away if the person is being funny or not. It's just the way of life.

Just like you can't always tell if a game reviewer reviewed a game properly.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

Blacknmild: This is something that you may not like, but we don't get our stories from the forums. What we do is that if we find a story worth writing about we send each other through email messages the link, then someone writes a story up, have it edited, then its posted.

We will give credit to the forumer IF they sent us the link to the story, like we have done in the past (like when Unclebob alerted us that Flipnote was already available). We always encourage the readers to submit stories and we will give them credit if something is written.

So again, if we don't credit the forums in any way in our stories is because we found the story through other ways and we didn't notice it was posted on the forums. I suggest that if you want the forums to stand out more you send us the story the minute you are about to post it. Hell, even send us the link to the thread so we can read what is going on and catch up with any details we may have missed while we work on the story.

Finally, we still post full stories in the talkback thread. The ONLY stories we only posts snippets of are interviews and special features which don't happen often.

Your talking to me as if you didn't use to be a forumer.... how quickly people forget. You used to be a big thread poster with new stories and then severl hours to several days later NWR would finally get a story up about it. NWR was so behind on "current" news I'm sure thats a reason that You and Flames and many others got hired on.
Maybe if the staff frequented the forums more often, ot if the "submit a news story" page wasn't only linked through the front page (seriously, who goes there?) NWR could be up on everything when it happens instead of several days later after everyone already knows the story. I'm not saying anyone in the forums really cares or is looking for individual credit for dragging a news story here first, just that alot of the time a story is posted in the forums, discussion is had for sometimes days and then NWR makes an official story about it and doesn't even direct front pagers to the thread where the discussion is already in progress.

It's not a big deal, just a minor annoyance. I just don't see how Admins and whatnot can pretend that the whole forum they apparently watch over doesn't really exist and the info that is posted didn't really happen. You just happen to run across the news story 3 days later through an e-mail :rolleyes:
Just look in your own forums.

I guess the forums are just forums, because it wasn't NEWS until NWR posted it on the front page.

This place was once know as "The place where gamers go to bitch about everything". I'm just exercising my rights.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
I guess the forums are just forums, because it wasn't NEWS until NWR posted it on the front page.

We don't come to the forums very much because we're busy running the site and writing content (apparently so people like you can sit there and bitch about how much it sucks, which really makes it all worthwhile, believe me).  If we ever grabbed news from the forums, we would give whoever posted the story credit (and we have done so in the past, like Pedro said).  We monitor all the news outlets and gets news up as quickly as we can.  Considering we're a small team doing this on a volunteer basis in our spare time, I think we do a very good job.

If you see news, be sure to submit it using the link on the front page.  Pedro and Luke are amazing newshounds, and it's honestly very seldom we get blindsided with anything these days.  If we do, we give credit.  That's just the way it is, and any conspiracy theories you may have are completely incorrect.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 30, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »
I agree with BnM. It's not the credit he's worried about. His point is that you should read through the forums at least a couple times a day. Who knows? We may have something you overlooked when scouring the internet. We are, afterall, pretty loyal to this site and there's quite a few of us. Why not use the resource you took so long to develop?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 29, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »
Decided to bump this thread because I read this.

http://nintendojo.com/editorials/view_item.php?1256626672

I will admit it makes some good points (third excuse makers not putting enough effort). Yet that bit about the whiny-core Ninty fans wanting Nintendo third is completely stupid. Honestly, Nintendo would be back to rushing out their games again like they did in the GCN era. WII DO NOT WANT.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »
From the above article:

"Instead of Soulcalibur: Legends, Wii owners should have Soulcalibur IV."

Are not both games now in the bargin bin of death?  No loss there.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 29, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »
From the above article:

Wasn't Soul Calibur III "the bad one" in the mainline Soul Calibur franchise?  I don't see anything wrong with someone lamenting that we got the horrid hack & slasher instead of much more warmly-recepted fighting game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 29, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
From the above article:

Wasn't Soul Calibur III "the bad one" in the mainline Soul Calibur franchise?  I don't see anything wrong with someone lamenting that we got the horrid hack & slasher instead of much more warmly-recepted fighting game.

Yeah SCIII is considered the bad one. I honestly don't have an opinion because I've only played SC1 and 4.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 29, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
You can only make it so flashy until it loses it's appeal.

Soul Caliber hit it's peek with SCII, but after SCIII it lost it's appeal to me. Not to mention shoe-horning Yoda and Darth into the fourth installment made me face-palm.

This is the problem with the article: it doesn't get most of the facts right. Nintendo is winning and making money. Third Excuse Makers, who gamble on HD billion dollar projects, are not. The ones who make a worth-while effort, like de Blob, will receive success. Others who half-ass their way around and declare it the Wii game to end all Wii games do not.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 29, 2009, 06:54:23 PM »
Soul Caliber IV wasn't a bad game by any means, it just wan't anything to get too excited over, or bring up in an article as an example of Wii owners getting the shaft.  I think the loss of any version of Street Fighter 4 after the 360/PS3 are on their way to a second iteration of it is a bigger void.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 31, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »
Soul Caliber IV wasn't a bad game by any means, it just wan't anything to get too excited over, or bring up in an article as an example of Wii owners getting the shaft.  I think the loss of any version of Street Fighter 4 after the 360/PS3 are on their way to a second iteration of it is a bigger void.
Street Fighter has skipped the past two Nintendo generations, so this is no big surprise.

Capcom has more or less made up for it with Tatsunoku vs. Capcom. Then again, Capcom is more or less dead to me since their GOOD developers have left (Platinum), they can't be assed enough to make PROPER Wii games (lol ports sell lololol), and they didn't advertise Zack & Wiki enough. Capcom is seriously the biggest 3rd party troll this generation.