Author Topic: I boxed up my Wii U today...  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
I boxed up my Wii U today...
« on: December 06, 2016, 05:04:50 AM »
I've decided there's no point keeping my Wii U out so I've decided to box it away. I'll play Breath of the Wild on the Switch. I kind of had mixed feelings while I was putting it away. In some ways it's a really cool thing that only Nintendo would do, and in a lot of other ways it's a bit of a mess. I'll always remember the first time I saw Pikmin 3 or Mario Kart 8 running on it and being blown away, but I don't really have the same library of memories that I have with every other Nintendo home console. I still have the original receipt as well. Time Stamp 30/11/2012 00:12. Midnight launch naturally, although I don't think I'm going to do that with the Switch. that crazy desire just isn't there anymore. I'll just pre-order it on Amazon and hope it gets here day one (like my NES Classic did!). Oh and by the way, the price for that Wii U? £349.99 (ZombiU edition). Looking back, I'm pretty sure that's the most I've ever spent on a console. I'm pretty sure I didn't spend that much on my PS 3 and even the last PC I built cost less... I think.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: I boxed up my Wii U today...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:41:26 AM »
I use my Wii U mainly for netflix. Right now my living room is currently occupied by a TV hog. So, I'm going to buy them a smart DVR and move the Wii U into my room When it ends up in my room, I'm going to catch up on a few games I have, but never got to play much of.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:56:44 AM »
I'm not at that point yet, if only because I no longer have a Wii and there are too many times I load up mario or Zelda on virtual console to play for a quick few minutes.  Not only that, but I have a handful of games on my backlog for Wii U i'd still like to get through (Twilight Princess & Wind Waker HD, Xenoblade Chronicles and X).

That said, I have to admit entertainment center real estate is becoming a much more real problem than I anticipated, and having 5-6 consoles set-up on a tv creates a real cord problem.  I might migrate my Wii U to a TV in the bedroom once I get through the more visually impressive games on my nice TV as a way to lay in bed and play virtual console or simpler games, but I don't have guests over often enough to justify a spot on the main tv for multiplayer games lately.

It's too bad, I really do like the Wii U, and it's always been a way to get some color and unique gaming experiences, but like you, i find the time actually spent on the console lately is limited to my alternatives (PS4/PC).

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »
I still have a few games in the backlog that I want to prioritize before the Switch comes out. I'll probably put it in storage once I'm finished with it if only because there's so much stuff with the console (the mess of cables, controllers,etc.) and I don't want to mix that with the eventual mess of stuff that will come with the Switch.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:07 AM »
I learned from selling my Game Cube and Saturn that I am going to hold onto my Wii U until the day I die. If Wii U sold half as much as Game Cube but is remembered half as fondly it's going to attract major cult status in a few years and be a gold mine of used games. I kind of wish I had invested more in the library at this point before things go sky high but I am just too damn broke to worry about that.

Also I have a ton of virtual console games I don't know how I could live without.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
I still have so many games in my backlog still on the Wii U that it'll be at least another year before I'm done which is why I probably won't get the Switch until 2018.  I learned from the Wii that buying a new console before I'm done with the old isn't the best idea when I still have over 30 games left on the old ones to play.  Hell I'm still trying to finish all my Virtual Console backlog on my old Wii every time I visit my parents since I left my Wii at their place after I bought the Wii U.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
I sold my WiiU and digital library over the summer, as I needed a cash injection and I figured I had mostly hit everything on the console I really wanted to. Possible exceptions: Lego City, which I had avoided due to the loading complaints (hate that!) which is now being ported, and Paper Mario Color Splash, which had some pretty mixed reviews and will probably show up somewhere else down the road.

Here's hoping the My Nintendo record of my purchases will count for something on the Switch without doing a cockamamie manual license transfer!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 05:21:04 PM »
Always interesting to see how people's experiences vary yeah! For me it's not only my designated Netflix device, but I've got a solid 25 games I'm still eyeing. Granted some of those are shorter eShop titles but I could be well occupied for the next year at the very least.

Benefit of jumping onto a system late and having skipped the previous console generation perhaps? But yeah, despite all its shortcomings Wii U is steadily pacing towards becoming my favourite system of all time. It won't move to the closet for a while yet, I think. :)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
I still have lots of Wii U games in my backlog like Paper Mario: Color Splash to go through, so I won't be putting my system away for a while.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »
I love how everyone keeps saying they have all these Wii U games in their backlog, as if you're ever going to get around to playing them. I mean I love the system but lack of games was it's biggest sin. Unless you don't have Steam or a Playstation and you like mini games that only make you wish you had something more to play then yeah it's got games.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 04:15:48 PM »
I love how everyone keeps saying they have all these Wii U games in their backlog, as if you're ever going to get around to playing them. I mean I love the system but lack of games was it's biggest sin. Unless you don't have Steam or a Playstation and you like mini games that only make you wish you had something more to play then yeah it's got games.

Lack of games to me is entirely dependent on how many different consoles/PC you have, how much expendable income you have, and how much meaningful free time you have to devote to playing games.

In my case, I was more than fine with the slow trickle of Wii U games, because while I love Nintendo games, they never have been my PRIMARY console.  That, and my gaming time right now is limited mostly to 1-2 hours a night after my kids have gone to bed.

So yes, believe it or not, I at least am one person who does intend on going through their backlog of games, maybe even picking up a few others on Wii U prior to moving on to the Switch, because 1) they're worth playing to me, 2) I've been making a concerted effort to be sensible with my expendable income, and 3) the rumor mill seems to think year 1 of Switch will be dominated by ports of Wii U or 3rd party games ANYWAY.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »

Until last year, the Wii U was my primary gaming machine. So yeah, I have a backlog. You're free to check it out.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 05:06:43 PM »
I mostly use mine for Super Mario Maker, which is the main reason I have a backlogue built for the Wii U. It of course isn't as large as other systems though, including 3DS. Overall, Wii U is a very forgettable system.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 02:42:43 AM »

Haha yeah I mean, you're most likely right. Looking at my gaming history, there's a good chance a few titles will never really get played. That said, Wii U is my primary gaming platform and it's not just indie titles or future ones like Yooka-Laylee & Breath of the Wild keeping me hooked on it for now.
From the retail games I'm still definitely going to play Rayman Legends, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Pokkén and Xenoblade X. With a few more candidates if they ever drop in price enough. Add to that some virtual console stuff I missed out on in earlier generations, as well as interesting indie titles and I could easily add another 15~ titles to it which would make Wii U one of my biggest personal libraries ever.

Of course all of this does indeed depend on whether I actually do get around to them like you say. :p

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »
I don't understand the original post.

Some people (like me) have a backlog, some don't - but that's not the only reason to keep your system attached. I have several old consoles attached to TVs, and don't see that changing because the games for those old consoles are just as much fun today as they were when first released.

As long as we (me, my family, and my friends) enjoy going back and playing those games, why would we just pack up a console and put it away without a replacement already in hand?  Even if we have a new console, unless it still plays the old games that we love it's more of an addition than a replacement.

So what you are really saying is that Wii U had no games you enjoyed enough to keep playing, and that you've already exhausted the library?  If so, then you have much more free time and/or very different taste in games than I do.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »
Once I buy Switch, my Wii U is probably going to get unplugged by default. I only have three HDMI ports on my TV. My PS3 is my Blu Ray player and I have a Google Chromecast. I'll keep Wii U in my TV stand though.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Once I buy Switch, my Wii U is probably going to get unplugged by default. I only have three HDMI ports on my TV. My PS3 is my Blu Ray player and I have a Google Chromecast. I'll keep Wii U in my TV stand though.

This I understand - but nobody has a Swtich yet, and nobody is getting one for at least a few months, right?
To each their own though. If you have multiple gaming systems still in use maybe it's just a case of "now's as good a time as any"...
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »
The Wii U is in an interesting situation because most of it's games can be played just on the Gamepad. It only needs to be plugged in.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 12:54:46 AM »
This I understand - but nobody has a Swtich yet, and nobody is getting one for at least a few months, right?
To each their own though. If you have multiple gaming systems still in use maybe it's just a case of "now's as good a time as any"...
Eventually, I'll probably put my Wii U in storage. I'm not in any kind of rush. There will be games I want to go back and play before Switch really settles in.
The Wii U is in an interesting situation because most of it's games can be played just on the Gamepad. It only needs to be plugged in.
As stated, my Wii U will still be in my TV stand. "Unplugged" was clearly referring to HDMI, not an electrical outlet. That said, I don't particularly like off-screen play so having it readily available means I just have to deal with the first-world inconvenience of occasionally switching out one of the HDMI if I feel compelled to play Wii U. Oh no. What a nightmare.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 01:39:12 AM »
I bought Paper Mario for my WiiU today!

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »
I don't think I'll be boxing my Wii U up for a while. It does have a lot of good games, not including virtual console. I sure as hell didn't buy it just to box it up when the new console comes out. Hell I still play my N64 and have it out. Nintendo games are fun to come back to like that.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
To be fair, I said IF you only own a Wii U then yeah there is potential for abacklog, so why all the hate by people who stated they DO only own a Wii U? Damn you guys are impossible and have no sense of humor chill, step back and be cool.