Author Topic: Blaster Master Sequel Headed to WiiWare  (Read 9148 times)

Offline NWR_MattB

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Blaster Master Sequel Headed to WiiWare
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:51:17 AM »
Sunsoft is bringing Blaster Master: Overdrive to WiiWare next Monday.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=21128

The game, a sequel to Blaster Master, which was released on Virtual Console last year, is an action-shooting game that takes place after Earth has been infected by a virus. Players jump into the shoes of the biologist Alex and travel around the planet in S.O.P.H.I.A., a powerful four-wheel vehicle, in hopes of ridding the land of the animals that have been consumed by the virus.    

It will retain the original gameplay of the NES classic, alternating between side-scrolling and overhead sections. Each area features a mutant boss that impedes Alex's progress.    

Blaster Master: Overdrive will be available on the North American Wii Shop Channel on February 8, carrying a price tag of 1,000 Wii Points ($10).    

BLASTER MASTER™ OVERDRIVE HEADED TO WIIWARE    

Redding, CA –  February 6, 2010 – SUNSOFT, a division of SUNCORPORATION  (JASDAQ: 6736), has today announced that BLASTER MASTER™:OVERDRIVE will be available in North America on February 8th for WiiWare.    

BLASTER MASTER™:OVERDRIVE is an action-shooting game that takes place on  an Earth infected by an aggressive, polymorphic virus. Poor, defenseless animals worldwide infected by the virus have been turned into flesh-eating, hemoglobin-swilling terrors. Fortunately, the world has Alex. And, even more coincidentally, he happens to be one of the worldÂ’s foremost biologists - specializing in viral mutation profiles and genetic manipulation.      

Every studious biologist facing imminent global annihilation needs a sweet ride, and Alex is no exception.  He has S.O.P.H.I.A., a shape-shifting, gas-guzzling, projectile-spewing paean to destruction on four wheels. Things look grim, but with Alex and S.O.P.H.I.A. on the case, the world just may have a chance.    

Gameplay in BLASTER MASTER™:OVERDRIVE retains the critically acclaimed format of the original NES BLASTER MASTER™, alternating between side-scrolling platforming in S.O.P.H.I.A. and overhead-perspective blasting and exploration when controlling Alex. Upgrades for S.O.P.H.I.A. must be collected to access progressively more challenging terrain and a total of eight distinct areas. Each area features a mutant boss that must be defeated to progress.    

The sublime blend of side-scrolling shooting/platforming mixed with overhead perspective action/shooting areas is just as addictive now as it was in the original game.  The game is rated E10 for Mild Fantasy Violence and can be purchased from the Wii Store online for 1000 Wii points beginning February 8th, 2010.    

As with the BLASTER MASTER NES Virtual Console release, fans are encouraged to improve their skills completing this game so they can compete and win in a coming promotion that will test their skill for collectible prizes.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Blaster Master Sequel Headed to WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »
Well this is nice. After 2 months of being released on the VC we get a Wiiware sequel.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
This is very nice indeed. Is it WiiWare exclusive?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
this is pretty cool i might actually buy this. I heard the NES game is super hard so I hope the Wiiware game is more bearable.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
Toruresu I don't see anything in the press release that says it will be on the other download services.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »
i checked around and NWR has the scoop on this story. Cool

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »
Vic Ireland's first big surprise and NWR has it up first!?

Good Job Team NWR.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »
Nice. Vic did say that the VC release of Blaster Master was only the beginning of Sunsoft returning to western publishing. Digital download services have been great for revival of older and niche franchises (like "Adventure Island: The Beginning" and the upcoming "Bonk: Brink of Extinction").
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
Wow. I was not expecting this, but this is great news. And only a couple days to wait! I might have to download this on day one.

Now Blaster Master 2 needs to come to the Virtual Console and I will squeal incomprehensibly.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »
Oh snap!  Sweet.

Is this really a sequel?

I'm pretty sure this is a boss of level 5 in the original game.  In fact, he kicked my ass just a couple days ago.  :(

Looks like they're sticking with the overhead portions of the game.  Hope they're improved over the original.

Now I need to hurry up and beat the NES game so I'm prepared for this.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
Ugh, recycled bosses? Perhaps I'll wait for some reviews on this one.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 04:28:51 PM »
I'm not going to lie. I just got a boner.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »
Don't forget Europe, Sunsoft. I would love to give Blaster Master a go and Overdrive sounds like as good a place to start as any.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 04:59:29 PM »
Ugh, recycled bosses?
You tell me.

Which one is the new one? it looks like the just copy/pasted the screen shot....

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
WANT
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
Which one is the new one? it looks like the just copy/pasted the screen shot....
Oh come on!  The 16 x 9 should give it away!  ;)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
Cool!  Day one buy for me, I think.  The recycled bosses don't bother me as long as they're suitably updated.  I've never minded fighting Ridley and Kraid in Metroid sequels, or fighting the Koopa Kids yet again.

I remember having to use the grenade-pause trick on that stupid crab boss as a kid; I never could beat him otherwise unless my gun was fully powered-up.  I actually had more trouble with him than any other boss.

I notice that there isn't a gun power meter in the new screenshot; hopefully that means that they're changing that mechanic.  I wonder if it's going to be even more of a Metroid-type game by allowing Alex to obtain and switch out weapons?
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
homina homina homina homina homina homina

giggity
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:03 PM »
Great! I didn't feel like playing through 80% of Blaster Master again because I ran out of continues I didn't know I was consuming on that damn crab boss pictured above. This sequel sounds perfect for me.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Cool!  I certainly wasn't expecting what looks like a remake of the original Blaster Master (or at least highly reminiscent of it) on WiiWare so soon.  I might check this out, as it's likely to be more playable than the original game is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »
This has got to be one of the most exciting things to come out of WiiWare in a long time!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »
I hope they go a bit more Metroid with this one, and make the power ups more permanent. I know Johnny asked a question about the hovering, and from the answer it sounds like my wish is going to be granted. :-)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 03:53:52 AM »
It's been confirmed to be a remake/reimagining.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
this is pretty cool i might actually buy this. I heard the NES game is super hard so I hope the Wiiware game is more bearable.

I never could beat this game when I was younger, and I'm I'm in the upper echelon of gamers skill-wise.  I finally got a used cartridge (never owned it) and sat down and beat it a couple of years ago.  I beat the last boss with the last life of my last continue.

For a brand new game, I hope it has unlimited continues and I also hope they improve the weapon system (a more metroid like system would be fantastic).  We'll see though... I'll take what I can get.  Hope the music can stand up with the original.