Poll

Are You Going to Buy the Switch?

Nintendo had me at Switch (Hyrule Warrior)
4 (66.7%)
Nintendo's done it and I'm buying a Switch before the year is up! (Mario Maniac)
0 (0%)
I'm going to buy but feel no urgency to do so anytime soon. (Smash Fighter)
0 (0%)
I'm still waiting for specific software to be announced/released before I'd buy it. (F-Zero Activist)
1 (16.7%)
Still unsure. (3DS is best!)
1 (16.7%)
Nope. I still see no reason for me to buy this. (Overwatch Elitist)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?  (Read 58282 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
I honestly can't afford all this **** + games + yearly bullshit to use my own internet!
Made you look ****.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2017, 06:00:26 PM »
The dock is an HDMI pass through that still has USB 2.0 for some reason.

That's insane. And yeah, there's one 3.0 in the back but that's still insane.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »
w/o knowing all the in and outs of the actual hardware, this is what looks reasonable to me:

Switch Bundle: $299.99
Individual Joycon: $29.99
Joycon pair: $49.99
Joycon Grip: $19.99
Pro Controller: $39.99
Additional dock with AC Adapter and HDMI cable: $29.99

so a Switch, with additional joycon pair, a grip and a game cost $429.96
1 of everything w/ a game = $499.94

w/ Nintendo's current pricing...
multiplayer bundle w/ game = $469.99
1 of everything w/ a game = $717.95

multiplayer not splitting the joycons is very cost prohibitive.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
Just realized the poll had expired. I've reopened it in case people want to change their votes.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2017, 10:28:38 PM »
I get that the JoyCons are each basically a WiiMote+ with some extra ****, but that tech should be a lot cheaper than the price implies.  Either Nintendo is getting a huge markup on these or they're passing it through to retailers to build the relationships back up.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2017, 12:05:32 AM »
I pre-ordered something for the first time ever. I would have pre-ordered Zelda too but if it doesn't have dual audio I'm importing.

With that being said, only Skyrim looks like it might not be possible on Wii U. Switch is just  a Wii U plus Turbo and I'm not sure thats good enough at 300.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »
I get that the JoyCons are each basically a WiiMote+ with some extra ****, but that tech should be a lot cheaper than the price implies.  Either Nintendo is getting a huge markup on these or they're passing it through to retailers to build the relationships back up.

so what exactly are the joycons?
anyone have the details of the tech in the joycons?
anyone have the details of the tech in the dock?

I'm just looking for any justification of the mark up on the pricing. I have no idea of what we are getting included inside all the plastic.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
Ubisoft's Steep is a "next gen" game, I'm curious to see how it looks on the Switch. Has anyone seen any game play videos out there yet?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2017, 01:13:02 AM »

I'm just looking for any justification of the mark up on the pricing. I have no idea of what we are getting included inside all the plastic.
The right Joy-Con is basically a Wii Remote Plus with a lithium ion battery, NFC reader, and improved rumble and IR sensor. The left Joy-Con is the right Joy-Con without the IR sensor and NFC reader. Sold separately, Joy-Cons include the wrist strap slider that also feature larger SL and SR. Neither has a speaker so that's one thing not carried over from the Wii Remote.

The dock is mainly an HDMI pass through. It includes USB Type-C which charges the Switch console, two USB 2.0 on the side because Nintendo wanted to save three cents, and one USB 3.0 in the back with the HDMI and AC adapter ports. Seriously, that's all, and Nintendo is charging $89.99.

If you're one of those ignorant cunts who still thinks motion controls is driving up the cost on anything, you're wrong. It isn't. That technology was less than $10 over half a decade ago so you imagine it's a pittance in 2017. The only justification for the price is "Nintendo likes money."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2017, 01:27:36 AM »
I think Nintendo is cashing in. Business man wants strong profits for stockholders.

In some ways this feels like a soft launch. By the time Holiday 2017 rolls around, there will be good selection of games and they can play with price. I'm guessing a game bundled in for the same $299? Unless it does poorly then we may see a 3DS style price drop and another early adopter reward program.

These dang accessories are still going to cost way too much though. They don't drop in price nearly as much. Good news for Nintendo is that most armchair critics and casual customers don't factor the accessories bill in to the system purchase cost.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2017, 01:37:03 AM »
If you're one of those ignorant cunts who still thinks motion controls is driving up the cost on anything, you're wrong. It isn't. That technology was less than $10 over half a decade ago so you imagine it's a pittance in 2017. The only justification for the price is "Nintendo likes money."

Let's be brutally honest. Nintendo is gouging their hardcore fans and early adopters because they can. Because we will buy this crap over and over. Because we are actively discussing the possibility of them doing that and then dropping the price during the holidays like it's business as usual.

And then we'll get 10 overvalued SNES game in some Ambassador program as a "reward" for our commitment to Nintendo.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2017, 01:38:43 AM »
I doubt there will be any kind of Ambassador program. They're going to cut it to $250, or even $200, for the holidays, and we're not going to get anything.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2017, 01:52:50 AM »
I doubt there will be any kind of Ambassador program. They're going to cut it to $250, or even $200, for the holidays, and we're not going to get anything.

Except the smug satisfaction of being into the band before they sold out and went all mainstream. My favorite console? You've probably never heard of it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2017, 02:13:39 AM »

The right Joy-Con is basically a Wii Remote Plus with a lithium ion battery, NFC reader, and improved rumble and IR sensor. The left Joy-Con is the right Joy-Con without the IR sensor and NFC reader. Sold separately, Joy-Cons include the wrist strap slider that also feature larger SL and SR. Neither has a speaker so that's one thing not carried over from the Wii Remote.

The dock is mainly an HDMI pass through. It includes USB Type-C which charges the Switch console, two USB 2.0 on the side because Nintendo wanted to save three cents, and one USB 3.0 in the back with the HDMI and AC adapter ports. Seriously, that's all, and Nintendo is charging $89.99.

That's what I thought was inside the plastic, which is why I was hoping someone would shed the light on all the other tech I was obviously not aware of.
as for the bolded text... I'll just assume that wasn't a directed comment, but a general statement made in frustration of the obvious price gouging.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2017, 02:34:02 AM »
Proprietary hardware=exclusive services=higher cost to dissuade imitators!

Call me an ignorant ****!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
Proprietary hardware=exclusive services=higher cost to dissuade imitators!

Call me an ignorant ****!

Nah, just more of an explanation on what you mean.
Made you look ****.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2017, 03:20:54 AM »
Man, I'm about as constitutionally inclined to be a Nintendo apologist as possible, and have purchased every console since the 64 in the first six months, but the more this sinks in and more details are added, the more I think ole Switchy is shaping up to be a final flameout.

I won't say I was naive about Nintendo's ability to pull this off, I was moreso confident that they would pull it off because they absolutely had to to stay in the game. The huge reorganization on top of the leadership change also seemed to bode well for a refresh.

But the picture ain't looking good, and I find myself in the queasy position of hoping the obvious missteps bite Nintendo in the ass so they'll have to slash the Switch's price this year and make the purchase rationalizable. But if things are in such a state, I'm not sure I'd want to buy in to a console with an uncertain outlook at that point anyway. And the cycle continues until I'm possibly in the camp picking one up in a stock clearance three years down the line to play the four or five games I felt like I actually missed.

This is a much more pessimistic outlook than I'd like to have, but unfortunately the dedicated game hardware world is one in which animal spirits actually hold sway.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
Let's be brutally honest.
Damn, I thought I was.
as for the bolded text... I'll just assume that wasn't a directed comment, but a general statement made in frustration of the obvious price gouging.
Not directed at you anyway...
Controllers are looking to be very expensive.  Like getting a second set on Joycons and the grip for it will cost you another $110!!  Might as well be a Wii U Gamepad at that price and mostly for motion control nonsense that the world lost interest in five years ago.
Seriously, people still believe this and bring it up regularly. Everything about that is ignorant. Nearly two generations removed from Wii, it's absurd that people have such an ax to grind against motion controls that they're still blaming motion controls for all manner of ills in the world.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:28:10 PM by Adrock »

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
These dang accessories are still going to cost way too much though. They don't drop in price nearly as much. Good news for Nintendo is that most armchair critics and casual customers don't factor the accessories bill in to the system purchase cost.

I agree about the high price of accessories, but isn't the point of the Switch that it has everything you need right out of the box?  Two controllers, portable and console with dock.  I don't feel the need to buy any accessories at launch (or within the first year).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
This is from the Nintendo site:
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/
Take your game sessions up a notch with the Pro Controller. Includes motion controls, HD rumble, built-in amiibo functionality, and more.

Does anyone know what is new about the rumble that Nintendo is calling it HD rumble?
is it just because they have rumble in each palm?is there something new and  unique about it? haptics inside?

and what about the batteries in the joycons and the pro controller?
anyone know anything about that?

I've heard 20+ hours on the joycons. Not sure on the pro con though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:02:02 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
I agree about the high price of accessories, but isn't the point of the Switch that it has everything you need right out of the box?  Two controllers, portable and console with dock.  I don't feel the need to buy any accessories at launch (or within the first year).

Yeah especially when the big flagship launch title is Zelda that a single player game.  Yeah the prices are high as **** but I don't see these hurting Nintendo at launch when their biggest title is a single player game and even their big casual title 1-2 Switch can be played with both Joycons that you get out of the box as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
The peripheral prices won't hurt launch window due to the nature of early adopters. It's still a dick move that hurts overall consumer confidence and trust, things Nintendo can't afford to take lightly after Wii U flopped.
Does anyone know what is new about the rumble that Nintendo is calling it HD rumble?
is it just because they have rumble in each palm?is there something new and  unique about it? haptics inside?

1. I've read haptic feedback, but I don't think it has been confirmed anywhere.

2. Joy-Con battery life is 20 hours, Pro Controller battery life is 40 hours.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
The peripheral prices won't hurt launch window due to the nature of early adopters. It's still a dick move that hurts overall consumer confidence and trust, things Nintendo can't afford to take lightly after Wii U flopped.

part of my reasoning for even early adopting would be to play w/ my daughter, which means I will need a 2nd set of joycons and a grip. But for $110.00 before tax, it's more than 1/3 the cost of the system to buy an complete additional controller. That's just OUTRAGEOUS and turns me away from not only early adopting, but adopting at all.
I'm not spending $410.00 + tax on this system to play multiplayer, only to realize that I haven't even picked out a game yet.
If I'm not sold at launch, then I'll just have to re-evaluate at Xmas time.

and i know lots of the 1st party multi uses split controllers, but what if the game I want to play doesn't?

oh, and come Xmas time, I really hoping Nintendo pushes that VR Headset and some exclusive MMO Star Wars Jedi Knight VR3D game w/ split joycon controls (ep VIII tie in). You want to make a frenzy as hottest thing during Xmas 2017, that would be the product right there.
edit: I'm not even a SW fan, and I would buy in for that. possibly even pay for the online service to play it too.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
This is from the Nintendo site:
http://www.nintendo.com/switch/buy-now/
Take your game sessions up a notch with the Pro Controller. Includes motion controls, HD rumble, built-in amiibo functionality, and more.

It's what was shown with 1,2 Switch among other games (also the demo of the glass being filled with three ice cubes and then water, and how each felt different), and it has been getting lots of positive feedback from those who have actually tried it. The hardware seems to be getting lots of positive vibes from demoers; it's just everything else that people are mixed on.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
I'm not even sure what 1-2 swtich was.... was it like Wario Ware, more like Wii Sports, a combo of both?
short video I saw barely even showed the game, just people have twitch reactions to beat each other. Not really sure what the game was.

I haven't been hunting down videos to fins out more, just kinda perusing this and the other thread for info.
I guess I can check out the "switch game thread" to see if there are more indepth videos explaining stuff.