Poll

Are You Going to Buy the Switch?

Nintendo had me at Switch (Hyrule Warrior)
4 (66.7%)
Nintendo's done it and I'm buying a Switch before the year is up! (Mario Maniac)
0 (0%)
I'm going to buy but feel no urgency to do so anytime soon. (Smash Fighter)
0 (0%)
I'm still waiting for specific software to be announced/released before I'd buy it. (F-Zero Activist)
1 (16.7%)
Still unsure. (3DS is best!)
1 (16.7%)
Nope. I still see no reason for me to buy this. (Overwatch Elitist)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 08:34:49 PM

Author Topic: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?  (Read 57687 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
Hey all,

Just a quick little poll to see whether the recent Switch reveal video is enough to make you purchase it. During the Wii U years, there were many comments made about regretting a purchase or buying it early. As such, what is the current mindset of users here. Has Nintendo done enough to alleviate worries after the Wii U or caused more?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Snap Poll: How Sold Are You on the Switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
Day one.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »
There's nothing exciting about the hardware or controller, it's missing fun stuff from previous systems, so I'm going to need to see a big list of good games to get me interested or excited. The tiny bit of Mario looks promising so far, but that's it. I need more. Much more.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »
I'll most likely buy it Day 1 but I want to see more. I chose "Bait and Switch" because I'm still on the post reveal euphoria.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »
I normally don't buy day one, but I'm in the unique position where my only concern is playing BotW. As I see it, it's either I buy a Wii U or a Switch. I think it's a pretty easy decision for me; I'll take Zelda to go.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
I'll end up getting it, but probably not until there's a decent log of games to get and an indication that there'll be good ongoing flow of titles.  Depending on how different/better it is on Switch, I might wait on Breath of the Wild until I get one.

Fortunately, I have plenty of games to play through in the meantime, and it'll give me a chance to shore up any Wii U Titles I'm curious about but haven't gotten the chance to acquire.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:11:29 PM »
I go through this literally every generation I've had money to buy hardware on my own. It's easy for me to hold off on handhelds. I didn't get a DS or 3DS at launch because I'm not a handheld gamer. With consoles, I tried convincing myself I didn't want Wii and Wii U at launch then changed my mind close to release. I know better now. I'm planning on buying Switch at launch because that's where I project my head will be in March. The only difference is my gaming habits have changed so by chance, I can't procure one at launch, I'll get it when I get it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »
I go through this literally every generation I've had money to buy hardware on my own. With consoles, I tried convincing myself I didn't want Wii and Wii U at launch then changed my mind close to release. I know better now. I'm planning on buying Switch at launch because that's where I project my head will be in March.
C'mon man, I know you have the willpower to resist! We believe in you!

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 02:22:42 PM »
I've had fun with every major Nintendo home console and portable they've put out since the N64/Game Boy Color (obviously to varying degrees) and based on what we know so far I have no reason to believe the Switch will be any different. I'm in for day one, especially since it looks like they're really trying to put together a strong lineup of games for the launch window.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
I was a Wii U launch owner. I don't dislike the Wii U, but I'm growing tired of Nintendo's brand of late. I don't care at all for the detachable controllers. I don't care at all about the prospects of playing this thing with friends on the go. I just hope that this thing gets a ton of really good games. That'll seal the deal for me. Hopefully Nintendo has not compromised too much so that we can play face-to-face Mario Kart in the car at a roof top party.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 02:35:26 PM »
Huge backlog.
Limited entertainment budget.
Limited time available.

I (generally) like what I see from Switch, but it's still got a lot to prove and reality often doesn't live up to the hype from initial reveal trailers.  At this point, it's easy to say "wait and see".

Also, non-transferrable digital purchases are a huge disincentive for selling old hardware, which means I'm even less likely to upgrade day 1.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
Again, I look at the rumored pricing. I look at my library of 19 Wii U games. I say, call me when there's a schedule of launch games and we'll talk. It's all smoke and mirrors as of right now.

As said before, I'm rapidly approaching the point where "social gaming" is becoming less viable to me, and while I appreciate the idea of the hybrid, it doesn't do all that much for me. I would rather see an extensive list of GAMES, not developers. I'd rather see a device that performs well, instead of performing differently. I'd also like my software from the previous generation to not become defunct immediately upon purchasing a new piece of hardware, which looks to be the case with all my physical Wii U discs.

So, I'll wait and see on this one.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
Switched on. I'll buy it just for Skyrim and Breath of the Wild. Right now I hope to hold off for an attractive bundle or even a Black Friday sale, but if it ends up having more games that I've long wanted to play on handheld, I could see myself splurging earlier.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »
If it's $250 and my tax return is okay, I will likely get it at launch.  With a game, that would be $300, plus whatever the cost is for a pro controller if it's not included.  The Mario game looked like a tech demo, so I will presumably be aiming for Zelda and maybe Mario for Christmas.  If the price is a little higher, I will ask Santa for some help.  If the price is over $300 just for the console, I will wait for a price drop and maybe a special edition.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
Day one.
I'm just a big fan of this sort of thing. I still haven't upgraded to the new hotness of "the other" consoles (I have a PS3) and Red Dead Redemption 2 will probably get me there eventually, but I got a Wii U day one have enjoyed every minute of it, the ups and the downs, the delicious tears of so-called fans, etc.
So yeah, I knew I was buying even befroe the reveal. I suppose the reveal could have been so terrible that it would have changed my mind but that didn't happen. My mind could still be changed depending on if the nitty gritty details make this thing seem like an out-and-out clunker but as of right now, I'm in.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
I'd also like my software from the previous generation to not become defunct immediately upon purchasing a new piece of hardware, which looks to be the case with all my physical Wii U discs.
This makes zero sense. Why would purchasing a new thing make your discs defunct?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
Thought the reveal was done extremely well so this might be just hypetalk, but I'm leaning towards Day 1 here. If not then, it will be the exact day Beyond Good & Evil 2 launches on it (Ubisoft plzplzplzplz).

Huge backlog.
Limited entertainment budget.

These too are my only possible reasons for not diving in on day 1. I only got a Wii U this past January and while I'm certainly in a minority of gamers, it is quickly becoming my favourite system ever. A solid 25+ titles are still on my wishlist, which is more than I play in an entire year. It could keep me occupied for quite a while still, so the sensible thing to do would be wait a year for the Switch to accumulate a good library. But it looks so cool though...

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
I'd also like my software from the previous generation to not become defunct immediately upon purchasing a new piece of hardware, which looks to be the case with all my physical Wii U discs.
This makes zero sense. Why would purchasing a new thing make your discs defunct?

Also, that's not really a Nintendo problem. It's not like you can play your PS3 discs on a PS4 and even Xbox360 compatible games don't run from the discs on Xbox One.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
I'll get day one depending on the launch software, but i like the idea behind the system, its how the wiiu should've been all along
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »
Because I pretty much exclusively buy Nintendo consoles at this point because I have a PC. I liked how they did Backwards Compatibility. Doesn't look like this is the case anymore.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »
That doesn't make the discs defunct. They'll still work on a Wii U.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
Which I'll be ditching because I don't have shelf space for two gimmick-laden Nintendo consoles.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Backwards compatibility died with the Wii U and was reborn in a new style with the Xbox One. That is how BC will work from now on.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »
Which I'll be ditching because I don't have shelf space for two gimmick-laden Nintendo consoles.
Ah, so they'll be, like. defunct in your mind.
Yeah, right on, man, eff Nintendo for that, eh?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
Ah, so they'll be, like. defunct in your mind.
Yeah, right on, man, eff Nintendo for that, eh?
I see that you're trying to make me sound like a moron by dismissing my opinion. I respect your decision.

I get it, Backwards Compatibility is dead, it exists in the digital space now. That's all well and good, except BC for Wii U might not even be in the cards because of the dual-screened nature. We haven't seen the new controller being used like a Gamepad yet, even though it's been rumored, but I'm just throwing it out there. I guess I had it coming, buying games on the Wii U knowing full-well they would be tied to that system, but that makes the realization of the Wii U being dead hurt a little bit more. I'm not angry at Nintendo, more at myself for jumping on board so quickly. That's why I'm not letting that happen a second time, hence the reason for my hesitation.