Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 144  (Read 8534 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 144
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
Very nice episode.  (Look at that, I'm caught up on my podcasts!)

Regarding the Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts discussion, I'm not sure if I misunderstood or if everyone on the podcast was wrong, but the bracelet doesn't quite work like you described it (on a related note, neither do the contents of the chests).

The bracelet doesn't randomly drop from enemies (at least not that I ever saw).  It appears in the fifth chest in any given level (provided you don't get hit at all).  The contents of the chests have a standard progression--the first one you get will contain a weapon, the second the green armor, the third the gold armor, the fourth the shield and the fifth will contain the bracelet.  The magician will only appear from a chest if you get hit (and lose your armor)--the next chest after you get hit will contain the magician, then it will start the progression over again.

Also, you don't have to play through the entire game the second time using the bracelet--you can use your normal weapons right up until the final boss.  There are exactly 5 chests in the last stage--one at the beginning, two by the red demon, one by the ladder after the red demon and one under the two mimics right before the boss.  As long as you get them all (and don't get hit) you don't need to use the bracelet at all except for against the final two bosses.

Unfortunately for me, I simply cannot beat the second to last boss using the bracelet.  It's horrible range forces me to get too close to the boss and I always wind up getting hit with either his fire breath or the laser.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
Regarding the bracelet, we mentioned the fact that you didn't actually have to beat every boss the second time through with it (just the ones at the end of stage 7) and the fact you'd only warp back to the start of stage 7 if you got to the end without it.

However, the point was that when playing SGnG in the pre-internet days (and for me, on Japanese import as a little kid) you weren't to know what the requirements were exactly, and I certainly was not going to risk testing them when I've already had to beat the game once just to get to that point. So I would cling to the bracelet completely and end up playing through all the parts of the game the second time through with it.

With respect to its reappearance therefore I had no idea what the conditions are, so it's interesting to find out about them. I think all that James meant about that is the joke that the Princess' magic bracelet that you had to go all the way back to find suddenly isn't so difficult to find once we need to reacquire it.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
Indeed.  Apparently I had to go all the way back to Square One, because that's where it is...except it seems she actually littered the entrie world with bracelets.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report