Author Topic: Overcooked 2: Surf 'n' Turf DLC (Switch) Review  (Read 1367 times)

Offline mitchellparton

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Overcooked 2: Surf 'n' Turf DLC (Switch) Review
« on: October 13, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »

Jump on in, the water’s fine. Just don’t burn my kabobs.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/48630/overcooked-2-surf-n-turf-dlc-switch-review

A few months ago, I had a chance to check out Overcooked 2, a sequel to the hit co-op title. Get ready to hit the beach as Overcooked 2 is back with a tropical "Surf ’n’ Turf” themed DLC pack.

The DLC brings with it an all-new story that opens at Stilton Resort, a five-star summer travel destination. After the drama with the “unbread,” the council sends the chefs on a vacation. The king challenges them to find the best recipes the resort has to offer. You’ll start by making smoothies, and right off the bat you’ll notice the level of challenge. This is clearly for seasoned (no pun intended) veterans of Overcooked with difficulty similar to the later levels in the main game. It’s especially difficult in single-player, so you’ll want to play through these with a friend.

This addition has 12 new levels with new ingredients and mechanics. “Surf ’n’ Turf” actually has the same world map style as the base game, confirming to me that this in fact is an adventure in itself, rather than a quick level pack. While it’s nice that there are new recipes and mechanics, they don’t change up the gameplay too drastically. If you finished the main game, the reason to get this would simply be for more stages.

I still don’t care too much about the story segments, but they don’t linger on screen for too long. The loading screens, however, have not changed since Overcooked 2’s release and are still too long for my liking. I’m also disappointed the DLC doesn’t have a dedicated spot on the main screen – you have to go through an “extras” menu, and scroll past the first chef expansion over to “Surf ’n’ Turf”. It’s a bit much work to access a mode that is supposed to compliment the main game instead of just being a bonus feature.

In addition to the new “Surf ’n’ Turf” levels, the DLC also includes a “New Game +”, allowing players to earn a fourth star in stages from the sequel’s original story mode. I found the difficulty hard enough the first time around, but this is a great addition for those desiring even more of a challenge. There are also three new chefs added to the mix.

I’m happy that Overcooked 2 got the DLC it deserved. Even though it’s just 12 levels, they present quite a bit of challenge. I still consider Overcooked 2 one of the best local multiplayer games on the Switch, so more of it is definitely not a bad thing.