Author Topic: What got up David Jaffe's butt?  (Read 16309 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: What got up David Jaffe's butt?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
I really doubt that, used sales aren't that massive (especially since they're limited by the number of unwanted copies out there) and would at most take up a part of the new sales. That part shouldn't be make or break when it comes to survival. The big publishers whine about it because they can't get growth done by not increasing their number of customers and instead try to get more and more money out of their existing userbase (70€ games, DLC, DRM, trying to prevent used sales, ...). They need to grow, all businesses do but they refuse to grow the number of people their game appeals to or just take that growth for granted (population growth) so they need to increase the revenue without needing to appeal to more people.

I'm sure there are many games that just barely got picked up by a publisher and given a chance, yet returned disappointing sales numbers due to used sales eating into its profits.

But I can only speculate on those scenarios. What I know for a FACT is that Gamestop has not gone unnoticed by publishers, hence why Sony is bringing out a PSP that only supports downloadable games. Whether they'll meet with any degree of success in this venture is anyone's guess.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: What got up David Jaffe's butt?
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2009, 04:16:20 PM »
Games that had disappointing sales most likely would have had them without used sales too.