Author Topic: How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV  (Read 18413 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: How should I pick up Chrono Trigger and FF:IV
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2011, 12:27:07 AM »
It sounds like some of the characters have some new abilities compared to the SNES version. I've wanted to get a newer version of Final Fantasy II/IV since I heard the original translation was poorly done, and if the game has some new features then that sweetens the deal.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »
Yeah the main new features for the game over other versions is that it has an area where you can get all the best weapons and armor for Cid,Yang,Palom,Edward and Porom. This area is near the end of the game. Also after you beat the game you can load up you file and there is an area where you can go through and get more items,bosses, and back story on characters.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
You know I actually haven't got any weapons for Yang. I haven't ran into anything he can equip.  I just thought he used his fists.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
He uses Claws. Two can be equipped on him.If you head back to Fabul Castle you can get his 3 elemental claws. Thunder,Ice and Fire claws. Those are the only ones he can purchase the rest need to be got somewhere in world map. The claws doesn't have any attack on their own but rely on Yangs attack stat. The claws can have status effects on some while others are elemental.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
I got the Fairy Claws which are cool.  I'm finally past the Magnetic Cave.  That was an ordeal.  I ended going to where you can buy the Mithril set and grinding to buy all that gear just for a goal and getting about 8 or so levels then went back. (So my party was 25-27.)  Finally be it.  Much easier then when the Trash was near wiping my party each battle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
FYI, I'm not sure if this was mentioned to you but the row that the character is on matters for how much damage they deal and take.  It's better to have fighters in front and magic users in back. 

Have you reached the tower yet?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:19:30 PM by Louieturkey »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »
Not yet, I know that row mechanic from RPG Tradition but, what I found out the hard way is that it seems to effect Ranged weapons as well.  So it seems physical needs to be in the front and magic in the back.  I also think it stinks that levelling the old mage doesn't really make him any better so I have the feeling he's going to be axed soon.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:48:25 PM by Ceric »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
I also thing it stinks that levelling the old mage doesn't really make him any better so I have the feeling he's going to be axed soon.

Hah!  How little you know.  You wait until (major spoilers, don't read until you've reached the Endgame) the entire fracking cast at some point or another makes a "heroic sacrifice", some multiple times.   :P: : :
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:47:03 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
I haven't ready your above or anything else about the game, trying to do this spoilerish free, but I'll bet Old Mage is purposely kept below 99 so you can't use Meteor.  He will use Meteor towards the end of the game to vanquish a foe.  At that point you lose him from your party because it has been established that Meteor will kill him.  You would have gained another character by then, You can get a Boomerange and their is no one as yet that can use it.  Plus the Dragoon will have turned back and joined you.  I'm afraid that Yang is also a goner eventually as well, no upgrade for him.  Though I'm sure the Prince will have another part to play.  From the NPC text I'm going to assume that the tower sends you to another world so in effect I'm probably what half way through the game.  I will retrieve all of the Crystals but they will be stolen from me in some way.  I will find out who my real father was.  I can't decide if Cid's daughter gets killed or not.
Those are my musing knowing what I know at the moment and not reading your above text till later and avoiding reading the story online.  Lets see if it pans out that way.
Oh and I have to sacrifice myself in the end because, that is a theme of this game.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »
I like your predictions.  You may or may not have been correct or incorrect about all or part or none of them. :)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »
I haven't updated this but I'm to the Underworld and I'm in the super tall tower of Ice upgrades.  Not as hard as the place before where I spent most of my time retreating because I just wanted to get to the boss.  Oh and I was right on one part at least

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:50 PM »
I guess CT is coming to VC at 800 points.  This is going to be a true port of the orginal though so you'll lose all the new FMV and a few dungeons but the core game would still be intact for those that can't find a copy.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »
Welp I just got my newest character to the group, Ninja.  He's 10 levels behind the rest of my group.  He's a frontline guy with less health then my pure caster.  I'm just going to have to go kill bats I guess till he's on par with everyone else.  I can't go into that tower with a gimped character.  Not to mention the bats are easier and worth more XP then the tower folks.  I also need to figure out if Throw is worth it and I keep running out of inventory space...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
Throw will be worth it when you stop being able to sell weapons for good cash - around the same time the Shirukens become available for purchase.

He can also use boomerangs, and if you have a sword/boomerang equipped on him he'll do equal damage from the back row so you can do a 2-3 setup - Paladin/Dragoon in the front, Mage/Summoner/Ninja in the back.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
Throw will be worth it when you stop being able to sell weapons for good cash - around the same time the Shirukens become available for purchase.

He can also use boomerangs, and if you have a sword/boomerang equipped on him he'll do equal damage from the back row so you can do a 2-3 setup - Paladin/Dragoon in the front, Mage/Summoner/Ninja in the back.
I've got a Boomerang and I can't seem to get him to equip it so  if I can get him to take the boomerang I can move him to the back.  Hmmm... that should save me some leveling.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
So I recently found out that there is a DS version of Final Fantasy IV. Does anyone know how it compares to the GBA version? Does it add even more content or does it just have a flashier presentation?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
The DS version of Final Fantasy IV is a complete remake like Final Fantasy III.  It uses polygons instead of sprites.  If you want something that plays more similarly to the original, the GBA version is the way to go.  I have not played the DS version though and don't know any more specifics than that.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »
So I recently found out that there is a DS version of Final Fantasy IV. Does anyone know how it compares to the GBA version? Does it add even more content or does it just have a flashier presentation?

I've played both versions and the GBA version is far better.  The engine used for the DS FF IV just can't do good-looking 3D models and the voice-acting is terrible.  The bonus dungeons and party customization options from the GBA are gone as well.  Replacing it is a lame feature where party members can use 2 commands from other party members, if you find the appropriate items.  Stick with the GBA version, or the new PSP version if you have a PSP.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »
Yeah, I've played the DS version and the GBA version.  The DS version has the same story and besides the added features, plays out the same as the original just with voice acting and 3D models.  I've enjoyed it so far but still prefer the original which the GBA version mimicks much better.  I am hoping to play the PSP version at some point.  I may just buy it and then get an NGP when that releases.  I have no idea.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
Yeah, I've played the DS version and the GBA version.  The DS version has the same story and besides the added features, plays out the same as the original just with voice acting and 3D models.  I've enjoyed it so far but still prefer the original which the GBA version mimicks much better.  I am hoping to play the PSP version at some point.  I may just buy it and then get an NGP when that releases.  I have no idea.
You would need to get it digital they are ditching UMD.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
Unfortunately the DS version is cheaper so that may end up being the deciding factor when the time comes. Maybe I'll come across a cheap GBA cart sometime.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
Unfortunately the DS version is cheaper so that may end up being the deciding factor when the time comes. Maybe I'll come across a cheap GBA cart sometime.
FF:IV is only $20 on Amazon for GBA.
The few extra dollars are worth it according to everyone here.  Thats the version I'm playing its good.  They also have Chrono Trigger for $17 for the DS which I will eventually get once I finish FF:IV.

On related news still leveling Ninja...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:51:51 PM by Ceric »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2011, 10:11:51 PM »
It's $17 for the DS, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down even more sometime.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
I've played FF IV on four different platforms, and I rather enjoyed the DS version.  I'd go with that, honestly, if price is a factor.  Honestly, given the choice between the GBA cart and the DS version, I'd probably pick up the DS version again. 

The problem with the original FF II version is that it's a little dumbed down.  Some of the character abilities were removed and the difficulty was a little toned down when it was brought over to the US.  These differences were also corrected in the GBA version, of course. 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
In all honesty as RPG goes it really hasn't been that hard on GBA either.