Author Topic: Super One More Jump (Switch eShop) Review  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Daan

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Super One More Jump (Switch eShop) Review
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:28:15 AM »

Jump yourself to glory in this crazy one-button adventure.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/46310/super-one-more-jump-switch-eshop-review

It is easy to take one look at Super One More Jump and think: this isn't for me. The simple one-button nature makes it appear like it can’t deliver anything grand. That type of dismissal would make you miss out on one of the more effective puzzle-platformers to hit the Nintendo Switch. With plenty of levels and various modes to uncover, Super One More Jump gives you something a large group of players can enjoy.

At its core, it isn't hard to see the goal for each level. You guide your sprite through platforming obtacles all while collecting three blue crystals. A well-rounded player will be able to get to the end without too many issues, but the blue crystals add challenge. They add an additional layer to the proceedings, almost forcing you to keep looking ahead. The addictive nature can't be understated, and I couldn't allow myself to push onward without everything collected. With more than 100 levels, full completion took me around seven hours.

The deviousness of the obstacle placement is the heart and soul of the experience. Various obstacles crop up, including disappearing terrain, springboards, moving platforms, and spikes. These and more are mixed and match to make deadly platforming cocktails, but using your momentum and jumps can get you far. The punishment for failure is nothing too severe either. You are put back instantly at the start of the stage, allowing you to give it another go. The gems don't also have to be collected in the exact same run, giving less experienced players time to learn all the ins and outs.

Outside of the main offerings, Super One More Jump offers a bunch of modes to keep you playing. My favorite, by far, is the Endless Mode. This sees you dealing with a never-ending stage in hopes of reaching a high score. Everything in the package can also be played with up to three of your friends. You can work together or challenge one another to reach even newer heights, which is a lot of fun.

When it comes to the presentation, Super One More Jump is rather impressive. The game offers 10 different pixelated styles, each with their own set of avatars. By nailing levels, more playable characters are unlocked. A constant slew of options unlocks are you progress to make the game look attractive all over again. Sadly, and this is really the low point, I didn't think that the soundtrack is great. After listening for a while, I found myself putting on external music to keep me occupied.

Super One More Jump has a lot to love. It is incredibly addicting with tons of levels to get through. My struggle to get every blue gem became an obsession and 100%-ing it all takes time and effort. Add to that the additional modes and graphical styles, and you have something that feels very full and complete. If only the music was better... if only.