Author Topic: Why the Wii will never get any better (Firmware Related)  (Read 21026 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Why the Wii will never get any better (Firmware Related)
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure I would rebuy Mario Kart if they reprinted the game entirely but added voice support. That is of course, if all of my friends that I play with were willing to do the same, otherwise it would be pointless.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2009, 12:57:46 PM »
I love the idea of Wii Speak allowing everyone in the room the opportunity to talk...it is much smarter than headsets.  But, Nintendo should of figured a way to make the chat available for all games...that would have been awesome.

Oh well, I will not be playing online games unless it has voice chat support...that is what makes it fun and not just racing/fighting better NPCs. 

I guess I will have to wait until next system for Nintendo to get that right.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
People should admit they require conversation to enjoy games.  That's not the fault of the game, the game is a medium/excuse for conversing (or voice trolling).

It simply shows:  they don't really enjoy the games.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
So can i ask. What does the Wii operating system (if you want to call it that) do right?
It boots up Wii games.... and without crashing.
I love the idea of Wii Speak allowing everyone in the room the opportunity to talk...it is much smarter than headsets.
If everyone gets a headset, everyone playing the game can be heard which I thought is the whole point of voice chat. If you're not playing the game, I don't give a sh*t what you have to say. Still, Wii Speak is better than no voice chat whatsoever. Feast or famine, I guess.

Of course, headsets for everyone can be pricey. At the same time, once WiiMotion Plus drops, we're looking at the world's first $80 home console controller. MP is basically Nintendo patching the Wii remote. See what I di... nevermind.
Oh well, I will not be playing online games unless it has voice chat support...that is what makes it fun and not just racing/fighting better NPCs.
Truth which is why I still prefer local multiplayer. To be fair, I'll always prefer local multiplayer, but when that's not an option, knowing the person I'm playing with/against and being able to strategize/taunt is the next best thing.

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »
Nintendo couldn't figure out a way to put Wii Speak in because they tied their own hands with their implementation of the firmware.. They coded themselves into a corner in that sense Spik Spang.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2009, 07:23:49 PM »
So can i ask. What does the Wii operating system (if you want to call it that) do right?
It boots up Wii games.... and without crashing.

Great. That's one thing they're doing right then.

Everyone should remember that, like with online, this is their first actual "interactive" system software on a console. Sony had the PSP to build on the XMB and Microsoft had Xbox Live (and all of the Windows GUI experience) to build from. So comparing them isn't strictly fair.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:46:33 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
I wonder why nobody complained about this on the DS.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »
Nintendo would never implement Wii Speak into a game likie Mario Kart. Or if they did it would be among firend-coded people only.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »
Nintendo will never implement voice chat for people who aren't registered friends no matter what the game is on any game system they ever make.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2009, 01:45:17 AM »
Because people like to crap on the Wii, it's the "hip" thing to do. Even although I'm not too fond of the Wii, I'm seriously considering becoming a blind Wii fanboi just because there are so few of them.

The DS has a microphone built-in so it could theoretically have voice chat without needing an accessory. Maybe it can't though, and that's why no game has done it...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2009, 04:29:58 AM »

Well I would. If I played the machine online.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:26 AM »
Because people like to crap on the Wii, it's the "hip" thing to do. Even although I'm not too fond of the Wii, I'm seriously considering becoming a blind Wii fanboi just because there are so few of them.

The DS has a microphone built-in so it could theoretically have voice chat without needing an accessory. Maybe it can't though, and that's why no game has done it...

Plenty of online DS games have voice chat, I think he's saying that nobody's complaining that they can't go back and add it to Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 05:09:22 AM »
I'm not talking about voice chat.  I'm talking about the hoopla about all this firmware crap and updates and stuff.

I know my feelings on the whole issue were cemented when the DS started getting this non-stop avalanche of rock-jawesome games and the top story on many PSP sites for months was something about new firmware being released and now PSP owners could play .ogg speech files or something.  It was like there were two sets of gamers, one interested in playing rock-jawesome games, and another that wanted to do everything on their PSP except play games.  That's why I tend to roll my eyes upward whenever I hear somebody going on about firmware.

While firmware updates are neat sometimes, they really aren't a big deal at all.  I'd rather they put those people on making more games.  I like games.  I don't care much about the OS, so long as it stays out of the way most of the time, like Shift Key said.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2009, 07:58:12 AM »
I understand that keeping it simple has its benefits, but opting for the "disc-controlled functionality" model wrecks backwards compatibility with Wii games while at the same time limiting their ability to rewrite things for virtually any reason.

I'm sure if they increased the capacity to 1GB and then left 512mb aside for firmware, then using that space for feature space so things like wii speak can be added on at will. I guess i'm saying Nintendo should model the Firefox and the extensions API in future.

But they won't coz, to them at least, it ain't broken.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »
Hell, talking to the support people here in Redmond, they say one of their hardest challenges is making sure developers have actually PUT THE HOME MENU in correctly into their games.   That's correct, every developer puts those in manually, they aren't a built in part of the Wii. Thats a good expression to how totally not dynamic the firmware is.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »

People used to whine about Pictochat (back when they remembered it existed) not being online and needing a firmware update.  Nintendo never released any firmware updates for the DS -- since that's impossible -- to give them the wrong impression, so the futility actually sank in for once.

I'm sure if they increased the capacity to 1GB and then left 512mb aside for firmware, then using that space for feature space so things like wii speak can be added on at will. I guess i'm saying Nintendo should model the Firefox and the extensions API in future.

Simply having space for the firmware wouldn't solve anything.  To have features that work regardless of the game running, the features have to be a part of an operating system that runs constantly, managing communication between the game software and the console hardware in addition to handling all those features.  There are several disadvantages to doing that.  First of all, big chunks of RAM and processor cycles are required just for the OS, so you've basically made the system less powerful when it comes to games.  To make matters worse, you've outlawed all kinds of programming tricks that could have been used to help games run better, because the game software can't have direct access to the hardware anymore; it might conflict with the OS if it did.  The Wii is already less powerful than the competition, and you'd probably lose about a Dreamcast's worth of power for that kind of OS on the Wii (Dreamcast is the official SI unit of video game console power).  That would make it roughly a Gamecube taped to a PS2, a couple of N64s , and an Atari 5200.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »

If most people are like me they completely forget that the DS even has firmware.  I've had my system set to auto-boot the game since the second day I got it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
Quite a few of those same friends also have Wii and Mario Kart was always a multiplayer favourite back in the day. Playing Mario Kart online on Wii just feels sterile in comparison and we barely play it compared to XBL.

You picked the wrong online game to rag on. Mario Kart Wii's online has everything you need. The only things omitted are redundant features like voice chat.

It's not just voice chat either the lack of system wide operating system means I can't turn on my Wii and see that a few of my friends are playing X game and jump right in.

You can do that in Mario Kart.

What was the point in adding them as Wii friends outside games again?

I've added both my Auntie's Wii numbers to my Wii, I can send them photos, VC console games, Mii's and messages, but I don't want to play her in anything online. They suck at online games.

when he uses X game he means whichever online game they are  playing, not the one you happen to be playing. Say their playing wacky racers and another person is playing penguin cart, well you know you want to play penguin cart more than wacky racers. so you jump right in.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
How often have you played a game on Xbox live at a friends house and your friend has the head set so hears everything and you are playing right beside him and can't talk or even hear the others plans.  You are neutered.

Wii Speak fixes that problem.  Everyone playing in the room can talk and interact.  Yes, it is not perfect, but it prevents the need for expensive headsets for everyone playing.

That was my only point, which I think was lost in the conversation.