Author Topic: LOL at Golden Sun 2 Impressions  (Read 7893 times)

Offline OutOfTheCube

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
LOL at Golden Sun 2 Impressions
« on: March 05, 2003, 02:43:34 PM »
They would've been okay until the last paragraph where he says that RPGs shouldn't take 40-50 minutes to get started.

Does Billy even play games nowadays? If he does, he probably doesn't own a PS2 because if you play an RPG then you can expect it to be 2 hours before the game starts to get moving.
I'm baaaaaack!

-OOTC

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 04:40:41 PM »
There are two main differences here.  

Number 1: This is a handheld, and games should be designed to be convenient on the move.  If I were still riding the bus, I wouldn't even get a chance to save unless I was heading clear to the other side of town.

Number 2: In good RPGs, the story carries the game and should be captivating enough for you not to notice that you haven't gotten to the title screen yet.  Lost Age fails at this miserably.  It just wasn't interesting in the least, and at one point even the characters were remarking how stupid some of the comments are.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 05:19:39 PM »
Despite the impression GS2 has made on planetgamecube, I'm still getting this game.  I really enjoyed the first and can't wait to play the sequel.

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 06:26:27 PM »
I concur (sp).  With all of you, game will probably be great, but I hate when it takes a while to get moving.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 01:57:48 PM »
Yeah, that's very understandable.  Nearly an hour before saving is absurd.  I haven't read the impressions yet, but doesn't GS2 have an instant sleep mode?

Did anyone play the original Lufia on SNES?  I believe it was the first I had personally played that started you off with some legendary high-level characters fighting a huge battle, thus making the game fairly exciting right off the bat.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 03:56:45 PM »
I loved Golden Sun, and I fully plan on getting "The Lost Age".  That said, the wait before you can even SAVE THE GAME is interminable, and there is simply no reason for it.  And yes, this is on a handheld where battery life needs to be taken into account, making someone wade through page after page after endless page of text for NEARLY AN HOUR is just excruciating.  Game Boy Advance is supposed to be a "pick up and play" system.  This was the biggest flaw in Golden Sun, and it looks like it will be in the sequel as well.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 12:17:38 PM »
Get a Gamecube GBA player for these titles i say!! that or a rechargable pak for the GBA
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 03:36:14 PM »
RPG's should really get you into the rhythm of the game in no more than 20-25 minutes. Golden Sun took a while to get into, but once you did, it swept you through. I realize bigger games need bigger set-ups (even though Golden Sun is a GBA game, it still is at least as lnog as any other RPG, and GS2 is longer), but more than an hour is insane.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 12:48:51 PM »
I think the main problem is that reading that much text on the GBA screen just sucks.  Sitting there and hitting the A button isn't my idea of a fun 20 minutes.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2003, 03:59:41 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
RPG's should really get you into the rhythm of the game in no more than 20-25 minutes. Golden Sun took a while to get into, but once you did, it swept you through. I realize bigger games need bigger set-ups (even though Golden Sun is a GBA game, it still is at least as lnog as any other RPG, and GS2 is longer), but more than an hour is insane.

i agree with you on that but some games are good eventhough they do take a while to get into
i am playing xenosaga right now and believe what you heard- the first six hours or so have about an hours worth of gameplay
now most would figure that is insane, but xenosaga has a great story
that may be the problem with the new golden sun- a boring story
of course i highly doubt that given the length of time it took to get the story in golden sun moving
i figure it will be just like that  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 08:55:44 PM »
I enjoyed Golden Sun and I hope Lost Age will be a big improvement on the first.  The only thing I disliked about GS was that the conversations became longer than necessary.  What I did like about was the complexity and strategy involved in what powers and classes to use for particular battles against big bosses.  My favorite class would have to be the almighty ninja!  
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2003, 08:23:34 AM »
if you have issues with GS2, then I don't think you should play Dragon Warrior 7 on the Playstation, because the first battle doesn't take place until about 3 hours of story have been played through.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2003, 06:10:40 PM »
Was that due to cut sceens of a lot of wandering?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 01:44:47 AM »
3 fring hours?!, what the hell was he trying to do for 3 hours? Trying to watch Titanic? That is way too long for a console game even. Funny thing though there is a similiar topic at nintendojo forums about the current state of RPGs and how it has become a series of movies etc. Sad really.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2003, 07:54:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Joey
Was that due to cut sceens of a lot of wandering?

Mostly wandering, but not really aimless, you have to walk everywhere and when you get there it's like you have to go somewhere else.  There are cutscenes occasionally, but nothing like Final Fantasy games.

But also you spend forver to level up, you need 100,000 points for next level but you get very little exp per battle that you can spend an hour fighting to get to the next level only to get 1 extra point of hp and or other various stats.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2003, 12:06:34 PM »
I want Golden Sun The Lost Age.

Now.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez