F-Zero GX
3 (11.1%)
Wii Sports Resort
3 (11.1%)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: August 19, 2016, 03:15:44 PM

Author Topic: NWR 2016 NintendOlympics!  (Read 7691 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
NWR 2016 NintendOlympics!
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »
The finest games, the heart-poundingest challenges, the most experienced players coming together to prove they're the best in the world! Get your best Phelpsface ready :reggie:

Post your results in this thread. Play one or try them all. It's on the honor system so try to post screencaps when possible. No medals involved, just bragging rights.

[Processional begins. The flags of Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, and Kong Isle are solemnly carried. Funky Kong strafes the audience in an oversized drone copter. Ganonnondorf places all competitors in pink rupees. Toadsworth frowns and blows a whistle. Gannondorf releases them and (laughs).]

Let the games commence.

Rules: no cheat codes, glitches, cartridge tilting, or whatever crazy tricks you speed-running whippersnappers are doing these days. Stay off youtube, people.

* * * SUPER MARIO BROS. 3 * * *

8-bit 8-trip runnin': New save file. Start at 1-1. How far can you get on only 8 deaths? Deaths outside the main levels, such as hammer bro showdowns, won't count. Whistle warps are allowed!

* * * SUPER MARIO 64 * * *

Bit trip runnin' 64: New save file. Start your timer when Bowser's message in the lobby is over. How many stars can you get in 64 minutes?

Secret Slidin' with the Princess: Best time for this castle secret star. Shortcuts are allowed!

Wario's Wrainbow Wride: How many coins can you collect on the last course, Rainbow Ride? Hint: get the blue ones first.

* * * LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME * * *

Skulltulla Hunt: How many can you get in one hour?

Gerudo Archery: Limit yourself to 3 attempts. Post your high score.

* * * DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS * * *

Banana Coin Bonanz-athon: Start at level 6-1 and collect as many banana coins as you can without dying. When you die, write down the number of banana coins you got in that level, then move on to the next one. Don't do the bonus or boss levels.

7-7 Music Madness Time Attack: Post your high score.

[Toadsworth wishes the competitors luck and fires a gun in the air. Link looks at the weapon and rubs his hands together.]

START!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:20:43 PM by Chef Boyardee »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: NWR 2016 NintendOlympics!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:06:55 PM »
I really want to vote for F-Zero GX but I just checked ebay.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »
We can add the SNES version if that helps, or add WR64, or something else. It's all good.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
Waverace BS

I never thought of it like that before.

I'd like to compete in DKCR but I loaned my copy to my brother and it will be some time before I could get it back. Haven't owned a copy of Pilotwings SNES in any shape or form but do have Pilotwings 3DS. Other than that, I have all other options available to me.

However, what is your thinking or plan here? Do you have a blueprint to enlighten us on what this is all about because maybe there are games or suggestions that could be made for this.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:52:15 PM »
It'll be like NES remix challenge or Retromachoactive. If there are other games you all want to do and most people have access to, you'll have to post them here and chime in the discussion. Hopefuly there will be at least 4 ppl in each comp. Remember you can vote for 1 or all of the options.

Also, these will not be time-consuming, full on speed running type stuff. The ones that have a time limit will be no more than an hour.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:13:59 PM by Chef Boyardee »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:14:45 AM »
Suppose I could play along! Although I'm awful at vidya games, but someone has to take the lowest spot! Have a few of these which I've never tried still, like DKCR. What's the time window on this though? Don't think I'll have a GC for a while, so with Wave Race for example that's an issue. I think Wave Race 64 is on the VC though right?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »
I really want to vote for F-Zero GX but I just checked ebay.

Amazon has them for $20-25, if you're ok with used. 

I'm down for whatever, Neat idea, Chef Boyardee!

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »
Meh, zap how do you know no one will lie?
Made you look ****.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:44:05 PM »
If they lie, they still won't win a medal *shrug*

By the way, it will be helpful to have completed/nearly finished save files for SM64 and DKCR and at least some progress in OOT.

Anyone else want to add Waverace 64?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:51:06 PM by Chef Boyardee »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 05:41:35 PM »
It's all up on the OP now! GL.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 11:10:41 PM »
STAHP CANING YOUR NAME!
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »
Alright. So, on Wednesday, I finally had the time to start competing in this. The Olympics last 2 weeks so this thread should still be valid for 2 weeks, right? That weekend thing was just a suggested start time, I believe.....

Anyways, I hooked up my Nintendo 64 because I was planning to compete in the Mario 64 events and it seemed the easiest to hook up since I had in my TV stand with its cables out. However, I had an issue with the AV cable not working or something. No picture was coming to the screen. After some testing and messing around, I unhooked everything then hooked it back up and it suddenly all worked fine.

It's a been a long time since I've played the N64 and the controller felt weird and the analog stick started chafing my thumb. Ridges? I want my sticks smooth like the 3DS nub or Wii U analog sticks. Started practicing how to move Mario again and control him and the camera a bit. Man, I was rusty. I don't know the last time I actually played the real N64 copy of this game. I played the DS version maybe around 10 - 9 years ago and that's the last time I recall actually playing this game. Figured I'd start with the Wario Wranbow Ride challenge since I wanted to get my skills back up before doing the 64 minute run. I was also racking my head trying to remember where Peach's secret slide was.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:20:53 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 11:44:24 PM »
Got started playing level 15 and it was some rough going for awhile. Wall jumping for blue coins was a real struggle to do and then do it consistently. I began to explore other parts of the level to find all the coin locations I could. I started developing a path and pattern of how to collect coins. After awhile though, I began to become more obsessed with the coin collecting. As I constantly kept dying, I'd tell myself it was alright because I had missed a coin or something along the way so my record was potentially beatable anyways. When I finally stopped Wednesday, the best I had gotten was around 104 - 106 coins in the level.

On Thursday, I started attempting this again. By this point, I had scoured the whole level and knew every coin location but it was just a matter of doing a perfect run to get them all and not die. My pattern was the following:

I'd start out on the carpet and get to the 4 spinning center platforms. There is a lakitu there and hitting him nets 5 coins. However, the coins can fall in an erratic pattern so it can be a struggle to get them including falling off the platform racing for them. If I missed one of the coins and they rolled off the edge of a platform before I could get to them, then I'd just jump off the edge and start over. I was locked in and wanted nobody to be able to beat any record I set after starting to put in this much effort. If I succeeded with the Lakitu coins, then it was off to the red coin maze. There are 2 bob-ombs walking around in the bottom and both will give you a coin. However, when they explode, that coin can go in wild directions. So, I had a method to help limit that direction but once in awhile, things went wrong there. Once those coins were collected, it was wall-jump blue coin time. If I got the blue coins, then I'd collect all red coins in the maze, head back to the 4 center spinning platforms and head off to the pole slide in, let's say, the south direction of the level. At the bottom of the pole, there is a flying ShyGuy worth two coins. Again, you had to hope that the way you stomped on him would keep his two coins still on a platform for you to collect them. With those collected, it was then a matter of traversing all the balance beams and donut logs of that southern contraption area. There were some needless deaths from Mario shuttering or falling from the edge of some of those logs.

If all of that was taken care of correctly, then things got a bit easier for a bit. Now it was back to the 4 center spinning platforms to go north on the flying carpet waiting there. Taking that carpet, it comes to a dead end with a choice to jump to your left and head up to a flying ship or to the right to the big house / castle in the sky. I would go right at first. This was an easy trip and it would allow access back into the level. Riding out the carpet path along this path, I'd collect all the coins along the trip which were easily accessible. At the end, I'd exit through the front of the house which would warp me back to the top of the red coin maze. From there, I could ride a donut log down to the bottom of the maze and back to the 4 center platforms.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:25:46 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 11:44:55 PM »
Hopping back onto the north flying carpet and getting to the dead end, I'd jump to the right carpet because there were 5 coins above a donut log I would skip the first time I took that carpet ride. I'd collect those while waiting for the carpet to reappear. Then it was a matter of jumping over to the far left carpet and taking the final path to the last coins in the level. Last night, I'd finally had a good run and perfectly collected all the coins up to this point which gave me a total of 126. I knew what lay ahead of me and visions of finally completing the perfect run were playing in my head. After the carpet spun around a weird center spinning platform, there were just a few obstacle jumps I had to take. Somehow, I made a brand new mistake while jumping them and that was the end of Mario. Oh, it was frustrating. I quit playing then and took care of some other stuff last night.

Finally, after getting through the tasks I needed to, I took another spin on the Rainbow Ride. After a couple aborted runs, I was finally back in my same position of 126 coins heading to the end run. This time, I got to the pirate/cruiser ship. Things were looking good. Now, there are 2 bob-ombs and a lakitu up in that ship. I was working to corral the enemies into a good spot because I'd had one occasion where a bob-omb exploded and its coin went onto the railing of the ship and then over the edge to my frustration. So, having gotten the enemies to one side of the ship, I jumped up and hit the lakitu. However, I realized my mistake when his coins landed on the upper back end of the ship by the cannon. I shouldn't have hit him that close to the back of the ship. I hurried on to the back edge but only got 2 of his 5 coins before they fell off the back end of the ship. Stomping my foot in frustration, I blasted off though the rainbow and collected the last 5 coins of the level. It gave me a grand total of 143. I was that close to pulling it off and blew it again. Took a picture of my high score and called it a night.

After work today, I started up Mario 64 to finally do the star collecting run. I also finally clued into where Peach's slide was after searching most of the castle from the past two days. I decided to dive back into Rainbow Ride and see if I could pull off a perfect run after getting so close from those tries last night. Started playing it and in two tries, I did it. Everything went right and very smooth. I knew what I had to do for all the coins and executed my method perfectly. The Gold Medal was mine! I had all 146 coins in Rainbow Ride!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:29:07 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 12:03:40 AM »
I then went to Peach's slide and started playing that. Pretty simple. I did a couple runs normally and got a time of 20.8 seconds. I didn't really see any big shortcuts but I began trying to shave off some time there. On one run, I got it down to 20.0 seconds but I knew I could do better because I'd had some bad turns and hit some walls. I figured I could get it under 19 seconds at least. Did a few more attempts and noticed a move I could make to help me out a little more and finally it all came together and I blew the doors off my previous runs with an 18.2 second run. Quite happy with that and didn't feel like I could do any better unlike Wario's Wrainbow Wride where I knew when I'd left a coin behind and so I had that urge to do it again and to get the better score.

This finally meant I was ready for the Bit-Trip Running 64 medal event. I started a new save file, got to Bowser's message, set my phone timer and I was off. As I was running around collecting the stars, I was also trying to rack my head of where I could find more stars quickly and easily. I wondered if I was making a mistake in some of the stars I was pursuing. Having not played the game in a long time, I couldn't remember what some of the stars were in levels or what might be easier and faster to acquire than others. I think I lost some time messing around in Cool Cool mountain racing the big penguin and running around haphazardly. I couldn't remember what I had to do to get the eel out of the Jolly Roger in Jolly Roger Bay so I switched to a different star and then abandoned that level/world. I finally decided to fight Bowser so that I could get to some stars I remembered on later worlds even though I wondered if it was a waste of time resources since you get a key and no stars from that encounter. I grabbed a couple more easy stars I still remembered in the castle basement and was playing in Lethal Lava Land when my time ran out at 22 stars.

My goal was 30 but them's the breaks. I should have had 23 and was so close to a star inside the volcano of LLL when I missed a jump and fell to the lave below, dying and restarting the level which was when my buzzer rang. I also suffered a game over. I didn't lose any stars since I saved every time I collected one but it wasted some more time having to get back into the castle. If I did the run again, I think I could reach that 30 star mark now. I've had some practice and was able to refamiliarize myself with game and those levels. However, I'm happy enough with how I did and having gotten the perfect coin collection of Wario's Wrainbow Wride, I know I've already accomplished a great feat in these NintendOlympics. If someone wants to take a run at the Bit Tip Running 64 medal, they're welcome too. When reading the event, I had planned to just play it once and see how the run would compare with others having not played this game for so long. (If others try to compete.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:35:14 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »
And now for the proof.

Bit Trip Running 64

The journey begins!  ;D

The journey ends at 22.  :'(

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 12:10:52 AM »
Secret Sliding with the Princess

One of my first attempts without shortcutting. I submit the time of 20.8 for the bronze medal.

Getting better. Starting to get that competitive fire to shave off more time. I submit the time of 20.0 for the silver medal.

Suh-weeeeet! This felt pretty perfect. Maybe it's possible to crack the 17 second mark but there was nothing that bugged or nagged me after this run or that I thought could go better. I submit the time of 18.2 for the gold medal.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 12:22:48 AM »
And now for my favorite event, Wario's Wrainbow Wride. You picked a good challenge with this one.

This is the attempt I mentioned in my write up in which I had been collecting things perfectly and then made some kind of jumping error while almost at the rainbow cruiser ship. You can see Mario falling between 2 red coins near the bottom of the screen. I submit the collection of 126 coins for the bronze medal.

This is the run I mentioned in which I just missed collecting some of Lakitu's coins on the Rainbow cruiser and just missing out on a perfect coin collecting run. For the first time I can finish a level having collected all the coins I can so I was able to set a new Hi-Score as the picture shows from the previous 101 I had since I kept dying in my other runs like the one pictured above. I submit the collection of 143 coins for the silver medal.

And here we are. Finally, my method and pattern of collecting have come together and execute the coin hunt perfectly. 146 coins at the end of the rainbow. Since I knew there was only a finite number of coins in the level, I imagined it was possible that other people could potentially collect them all. Therefore, the race was on to make sure I was the first to submit a perfect run of coin collecting so that I could claim the gold medal before anyone else in case there was a tiebreaker based on who submitted it first. I proudly submit the collection of 146 coins for the gold medal.  ;D

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 12:25:42 AM »
You know what? Let's see a couple more shots of that gold medal performance.  ;)

Ain't no photoshopping goin' on here. I ain't that skilled computer wise.  :P  :-[

And now the perfect coin run is saved on my game cartridge and another new Hi Score has been created as I surpass the 143 of yesterday.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 12:36:09 AM »
Personally, I was also interested in the Donkey Kong Country Returns events and Mario Bros. 3 seemed intriguing also. However, I've loaned my DKCR copy to my brother and don't own the 3DS version since I own the Wii game. I wouldn't be able to get the DKCR copy for a few weeks due to the distance we live across North America. As for Mario Bros 3, after a moment of thinking about it, I realize the only copies I own of it are an NES cartridge and Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES. Both my NES and SNES are packed away in a box from when I moved last year and it just feels like too much hassle to pull them and set them up right now. Plus, my NES hardly works. Not sure why I keep it. I don't know if the All-Star version of SMB3 would be acceptable for these games or not.

In regards to Zelda, I own it twice on the GameCube with the Master Quest CD and the Zelda Collectors Edition CD. However, I suffered a GC memory card corruption that I posted about years ago which wiped away my save data of the games. I also have bought the 3DS version but haven't even taken off the shrink wrap. I don't have an actual 64 cartridge of it. In any case, I'd have to start from the beginning of the game and while I will probably play it again at some point (most likely the 3DS version), I'm happy enough with my 64 submissions that I don't feel the desire to plug away at the game in order to attempt the OoT events.

I'll stick with competing for the Mario 64 events medals and crown. Thus, my time competing in the games appears to be over now. Unless I get competitive about the Bit Trip Running 64 medal. However, that is one that is harder to prove and a person could lie about how many stars they got in that time so it's part of the reason I'm just content doing one run of it at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:39:00 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »
Great writeup! I love to hear gamers overcome difficult obstacles and strive to do better. Trying to perfect an old game is like spending quality  time with an old friend that you thought you knew everything about and finding new character traits to admire.

There are no version requirements for the NintendOlympics and no real time limit. Just play some old games and get to know your fellow forumers.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 01:18:35 AM »
Personally, I'd love to see some competitions involving Super Mario Sunshine. I would play that game so much to see how fast I could collect all 120 shines and imagine in my head of competing against other players in a competition of different events. I just can't quit that game.

I hadn't played it in at least 5 years and about a year or so ago, I popped it into to play it because I wanted to do a write up about it on these forums but wanted to do so having just played it so that it would all be fresh in my mind again. As I played it, I was surprised at how terrible I was at first. I needed to get used to the controls again just like what happened with Mario 64 here. But after a few hours, I was back in the zone again and performing all kinds of Mario hardcore parkour tricks and controlling the camera like a boss.

In the end, some of the shine had worn off on the game as I replayed it. I definitely grew frustrated with the camera at times on the waterfall/ferris wheel section yet I don't recall it ever being that bad before when I used to replay the game all the time in the early 00's. There were a couple other moments too of camera fighting. I had to admit there was some pretty obtuse design/item collecting since I had forgotten where a lot of blue coins and some shines were and now struggled to find them. In the end, I finally stopped playing a few blue coins short since I was tired of searching and had updated my mind for my potential article / thread but never bothered posting.

That said, having now replayed a good chunk of Mario 64 again very close to having played Super Mario Sunshine so that both are now fresh in my mind, I still like Sunshine more. And even though I can see its faults more clearly, I'm still ready to dive back into that game. In a weird way, this helped boost my opinion of Sunshine back up so I'm glad I did it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 01:36:09 AM »
Great writeup!

Now with editing so it should be easier to read and make better sense.