Author Topic: Sega Producer: No Plans for Wii U Virtual Console  (Read 4808 times)

Sega Producer: No Plans for Wii U Virtual Console
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »

Despite the company's solid 3DS classic releases, Wii U remains left out.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38061/sega-producer-no-plans-for-wii-u-virtual-console

Yosuke Okunari, a Sega producer who has recently worked with developers M2 on a line of 3D Classics for 3DS, says there are no plans for Sega titles to come to Wii U Virtual Console.

This assertion came in response to a question posed to Okunari via Twitter. Despite the bad news, he did give a bit of hope by encouraging the inquiry’s author to make Sega’s western offices aware of the desire for the company’s classic titles to come to Wii U.

As for Sega’s other Virtual Console efforts, the first wave of their line of lovingly-crafted 3D Classics for 3DS came to western territories late last year, and a second wave has begun distribution in Japan. Okunari has said that the second round’s western availability will depend on the sales performance of the original set of titles, but no announcement has been made at this point.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Sega Producer: No Plans for Wii U Virtual Console
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »
Too bad, as there are quite a few good GBA titles from Sega that would be worth releasing on Wii U Virtual Console (and eventually to 3DS, I hope). Same goes for their DS lineup, whenever that finally launches outside Japan.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
I bet companies made more money off of their classic game bundles on disc back in the PS2-Gamecube era.

Good thing I still have my Gunstar Super Heroes GBA cart.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:31:30 PM »
Virtual Console is practically free money for a company. All you have to do is create the ROM (which is practically nothing in terms of time or money) and pay the ESRB cost (which is also low), so you have to sell very few copies to profit from it. If I owned the rights to any older games, I would do my best to get them all on Wii U and/or 3DS. Hell, if I was a stockholder in a game company, I would be demanding they do that.

Offline 60Hz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:16 AM »
@Mythtendo - Sega historically has put out 'remixes' when it comes to their re-releases, for the 3ds they have been doing great 3d make-overs for their classics. Though it may be easier to make money just doing an emu-port i think it does a disservice to gamers as well as limits the potential for sales. Consider that most re-releases have already been ... rereleased, so you may have ALREADY got the genesis classics on ps2, is it realistic to think the same amount of people would shell out bucks for a wii/u version... now if these remakes brought brand new experiences to them, well i bet there is a bigger chance that the retro faithful would shell out their hard earned.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »
Does this include the possibility for the Genesis being added as a system?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 01:56:15 AM »
You know that Nintendo could alleviate this whole VC support issue if they just made it a completely separate and independent service that is accessible (for now) only through Nintendo hardware.

No one wants to pay fees to have them released on the Wii.... then pay fees again to have it released for the 3DS, then pay fees yet again to have then released on the Wii U as well, and then so on and so forth.
Same goes for the consumers buying the games. I bought it on the Wii.... then you forced me to pay to upgrade it onto the Wii U, and I also had to rebuy for the 3DS....
**** all that. allow me to buy it once and play it anywhere and I'll likely expand my collection. Force me to buy and buy again (...and again), and you've probably lost another customer.

So many easy fixes to stupid Nintendo problems.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:18:49 AM »
One of the big selling points of the Virtual Console service was support for Nintendo and non-Nintendo platforms. SEGA saw how successful the VC service was on the original Wii, so why are they withholding support now? They put stuff on the 3DS VC and 3D Classics, so why not port the existing VC games to Wii U?

At least we have Capcom's support. Now all we need are Konami, Namco, Square Enix, etc. All these companies put games on the Wii VC, so they can easily port them to the Wii U because the two systems share very similar architecture.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »
You know that Nintendo could alleviate this whole VC support issue if they just made it a completely separate and independent service that is accessible (for now) only through Nintendo hardware.

No one wants to pay fees to have them released on the Wii.... then pay fees again to have it released for the 3DS, then pay fees yet again to have then released on the Wii U as well, and then so on and so forth.
Same goes for the consumers buying the games. I bought it on the Wii.... then you forced me to pay to upgrade it onto the Wii U, and I also had to rebuy for the 3DS....
**** all that. allow me to buy it once and play it anywhere and I'll likely expand my collection. Force me to buy and buy again (...and again), and you've probably lost another customer.

So many easy fixes to stupid Nintendo problems.

You do realize that the VC games on Wii, 3DS, and Wii U all use different emulators that have to be rebuilt from scratch on each new system... Nintendo could have easily made a console emulator that runs all the games instead of coding each one individually.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:23:34 AM »
Since the Wii and Wii U use very similar architecture, it should be very easy to port the existing VC games over. At least we have Capcom's support.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 06:32:31 AM »
A lot of assumptions in this thread.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
A lot of assumptions in this thread.

The point is that Nintendo has not handheld the VC like it should have been handled.
Individual emulators for each game is already doing things the hard way instead of the smart way. I've played lots of those games on PC emulators over a 10-15 yrs ago and the majority of them had no issues.
Hopefully it all gets resolved in the next gen of hardware where everything will be based on a specific architecture and doesn't really need to be "ported" around.