Author Topic: Wii Chess Announced and Dated for Europe  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Wii Chess Announced and Dated for Europe
« on: December 19, 2007, 10:11:32 AM »
Coming early in the new year with regional online play.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15012

Wii Chess comes to Wii    

13 December, 2007- Make sure your mind is sharp and you’re ready for battle as Wii Chess comes to Wii. Whether you are pitting your wits against the computer, or taking on a friend, strategic thinking and planning ahead are the order of the day, so make sure you’ve drawn up your battle plan as Wii Chess launches across Europe on 18 January 2008, only on Wii!    

Following the rules of a traditional game of chess, Wii Chess is a must for any fan of the original board game. Players will play on an 8x8 chequered board, with the usual 16 pieces each, and must aim to ‘checkmate’ their opponent. Wii Chess emphasises long-term strategy and requires both players to have a good understanding of their opponent’s potential movements, whether playing against the Wii console or a friend.    

Featuring one of the best chess-dedicated Artificial Intelligences on the market, Wii Chess allows players the ultimate opponent in chess. The Artificial Intelligence can be adjusted from a low to high level allowing players to match their skills to their opponent. The game also allows players to record their games, which they can then watch back, or even jump into at any point and play a move differently. Effectively players can re-play a saved match, correcting an error and reversing the course of history! Alternatively, gamers can play a friend using the two-player function, or take on other Wii Chess owners using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. With so many options to choose from you’ll never be stuck for an opponent!    

The interactive elements of Wii Chess allow users to customise the look of the game they are playing. Whenever they wish, players can change the style of their pieces and background to create a different atmosphere. There is also a visual aid to help beginners which can be turned on or off at any point. In addition to this, the status window displays data such as the player’s name, enemy pieces captured so far and a summary of players’ moves in the game. At any point in the game, players can press the B Button, which will display an extensive menu offering the players options such as reconfiguring the game, changing options or even quitting the game.    

Make sure you are ready to play your pawns as Wii Chess launches across Europe on 18 January 2008 for the estimated retail price of £21 / €30.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Chess Announced and Dated for Europe
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
Great, a port of a 500 year-old game
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Chess Announced and Dated for Europe
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »
I read that while this has online there are no specific wii controls you just play using the wii remote in NES position.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »
CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:40:31 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »
I thought it was going to be Wii Ware... ?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 12:22:43 PM »
They need to make a good Battle Chess remake.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
If this were Wii Ware I'd buy it in a second, but if it's a disc I probably won't get it at all.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »
T-Thirty Euros for a friggin CHESS GAME? Wow.  ...Then again, I got stiffed 6 Euro for a "litre" of mineral water at a restaurant. I know the US dollar sucks and all right now, but both of these prices are still absurd.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
T-Thirty Euros for a friggin CHESS GAME? Wow.  ...Then again, I got stiffed 6 Euro for a "litre" of mineral water at a restaurant. I know the US dollar sucks and all right now, but both of these prices are still absurd.

Agreed, the price quoted in the release exceeds the level that you can commonly find budget titles like Endless Ocean and Big Brain Academy at retail, which while not the most substantial games must surely constitute better value than a chess programme.

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »

Originally posted by: MJRx9000
Great, a port of a 500 year-old game
Ahahahaa.. good one.

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 03:42:14 AM »
Restaurants are friggin expensive anyway, especially when it comes to drinks.

Thirty Euros is probably the lowest price publishers (or Nintendo?) are willing to release games at. This applies to DS games too, AFAIK none were released below 30€, they merely dropped later.

A propos DS, I've seen two chess games come out for that thing recently.

BTW,
Agreed, the price quoted in the release exceeds the level that you can commonly find budget titles like Endless Ocean and Big Brain Academy at retail, which while not the most substantial games must surely constitute better value than a chess programme.

That's not true, Endless Ocean and BBA both cost 30€. Maybe the UK price differs.

BTW, the price of US games might be why the US doesn't get reward programmes. 50$ for a console game is dirt cheap, 30$ for a DS game is a steal.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 07:34:57 AM »
Endless Ocean and Big Brain Academy are normally £19. I've seen them both for £15 and both for £30.

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
Re: Wii Chess Announced and Dated for Europe
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
Nintendo should localize this to America, so the Wii can have an awesome 1st party title in its last days. Oh yeah.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
Nintendo should localize this to America, so the Wii can have an awesome 1st party title in its last days. Oh yeah.

Have you read the reviews? I was excited about this game when it was first announced because you expect that Nintendo could do a great Chess game if they wanted to. It's really stripped down though, and not really worth the budget price. Get Fritz Chess instead if you can find it - even better, get the DS version so you can play on the go.

Oh, and as for having "an awesome 1st party title in its last days"... there are a handful of games that really would be better options to bring across. Fatal Frame, anyone?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
That was....supposed to be sarcasm....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
Now that's a bump...

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
That was....supposed to be sarcasm....

I'd try to claim that running on under 2 hours is what made me miss it... but I'm pretty dense at the best of times.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Glad0s

• View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
That IS a bump. I mainly just did it so that everyone could see that Greg had a new avatar. Gasp!