Author Topic: Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN Mode (Formerly Carp...)  (Read 9562 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN Mode (Formerly Carp...)
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
So, I'm looking at a delicious Panasonic Q, drooling over how much I want one, when I get to wondering if I really need one that's been modded for US games.  After all, It's mostly going to be there to look damn spiffy awesome.  I want the GameBoy Player for it so I can (eventually) link 4 of them together for four-player GBA games... but since GBA games are region free, that doesn't matter.  I also want to use it for Mario Kart: Double Dash and LAN mode.

So... I was left wondering, do I *need* a modded Panasonic Q to play the US Double Dash?  Not really - as it appears there's nothing preventing me from using a Freeloader to boot the US version.

But... what if I just picked up the Japanese version of Double Dash?  Would it let me LAN the US and the JPN versions together?  I don't know...

But, while looking on Nintendo's support site, I stumbled on something I didn't know - and it's in the Mario Kart: Double Dash manual.

I always thought the limit of GameCubes you could link together was Four.  With this method, you can get 8 Drivers and 8 Riders on 4 TVs in split screen.  However, apparently, you can link 8 GameCubes (and 8 Broadband Adapters and 8 copies of Mario Kart: Double Dash and 8 TVs) together - allowing the same 8 Drivers and 8 Riders, but this time on 8 TVs in full screen.

Anyone want to donate their old GameCubes to me? :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:02:17 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Carp...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »
Does the Panasonic Q even have a broadband adapter slot?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:49:37 PM »
Yup.  And unlike the Game Boy Player, the Q uses the normal Broadband Adapter. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
I would so do that UB, but my little sister has my old GC and she doesn't want to give it back.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
You can make your own Panasonic Q with a regular Gamecube, a small DVD player, and a roll of duct tape.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
It wouldn't look anywhere near as sexy... :)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »
The Q GameBoy Player is the rarest GameCube accessory ever made.  They go for big dollar.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
lol... I'm already watching that auction. ;)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
So... I'm doing research into the MKDD LAN mode.  Here's what I've found out.

Yes, you can, in fact link 8 GCN's together (Something like the Wii v4?).  Of course, you cannot break the 8 Kart limit, no matter how many GCN's you connect.

However, this is where it gets weird.

Those of us who have already played the MKDD LAN mode know how crappy it is.  You don't get to select your characters/karts - but that's minor.

When playing LAN Mode, you either have to have Co-Op mode on or off for *every* kart.  What this means is, say, Decoyman, Ceric, and I are playing on two GameCubes.  Decoy and Ceric want to play co-op on one kart.  In order to do so, I would then have to play co-op on the other TV.  By myself.  With two controllers. (I actually did this at the FaceBall 2000 Megafailure event - didn't do half bad, if I do say so myself.)

Second, if you have to use the split screen mode, all screens will be split - regardless of how many karts they have. Again, Decoy, Ceric and I want to play on two GCNs.  Decoy and Ceric on one Cube, screen split across the middle.  Me, on my own Cube, screen split across the middle with nothing showing on the bottom screen.

Now, combine this last bit with the idea that you can use up to 8 GCNs - if you're playing with more than four GameCubes, you cannot use the split screen mode.  Meaning that, with four Cubes, you can play up to 8 Karts/16 Players.  Add a Cube and you drop down to 5 Karts/10 Players.  You'd think they could black out the parts of the screen not being used like they do with less than 5 Cubes... But then, there'd really be no advantage of using the fifth Cube if everyone still had to use a split screen.

Now, combine everything - The game says it can support up to 16 players, right?  Wrong.  It can support 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 players.  If you've got 9, 11, 13, or 15 players, one of you is gonna be out of luck.

I'll make a chart here in a few...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN Mode (Formerly Carp...)
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Perhaps this is where I earn my legacy for bumping posts.

I received a copy of the UK version of Mario Kart: Double Dash in the mail today.  After some issues getting it to run (won't run on the Modded Q by itself - have to use the Freeloader.... won't display through component cables, only composite - and only in black and white), and after double checking to make sure it was all set up correctly (via using another US copy), I can confirm that US copies don't even recognize UK copies on the LAN network. :(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »
Is Mario Kart Double Dash!! your favourite game or something?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
I wouldn't say it's my favorite.  It's not even my favorite Mario Kart game.  But it's fun and I like doing crazy stuff. :D

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
Mario Kart:DD is my favorite Mario kart simply because I can get people who normally won't play game ride shotgun and do that so, they spend time with me...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.