Author Topic: Eternal Darkness Request  (Read 11273 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« on: February 10, 2003, 03:24:30 PM »
I am thinking about making a small tribute to one of my favorite games of all time.  I was just wondering if one of you would help me out a little.  I own a copy of the game, but the problem lies in the fact that my sister has my copy of the game, and she lives a very far way away from me.  (And my copy of Rogue Leader too.  )  Anyways, I was wondering if one of you kind people would be willing to give me reasonably high quality MP3s of the Magikal Attack spell in all alignments.  I don't know how I would repay you, but I am sure we could work something out.

If it's a lot of bother, either Ulyaoth or Xel'lotath would be fine too.

PS:  I would prefer either a 3 pointed circle, or a 5 pointed circle.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 03:38:14 PM »
Well, personally I can't rip you it. But if you're willing to spend some time, head on over to Gamingforce.com, join up and enter the 'My Stuff' section. There, you can browse many a FTP. I'm sure somebody will have it....

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 03:46:17 PM »
Hmmm.... thanks for the advice.  I will check that out.  I am watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon right now though.

A bit of instruction for people who have the neccessary hardware though.  I have my audio running through my Soundblaster Live, using an adaptor to convert RCA plugs to a common stereo microphone jack.  Since Prologic II is done onboard the SB Live, the sound quality is excellent.  If anyone has such an adaptor and it wouldn't be much trouble, I would, once again, greatly appreciate it.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 08:26:25 AM »
Is this game truly better than Resident Evil?  I read the planetgamecube reviews, and it doesn't really sound better... but I'd like to hear opinions from those who actually played the game.

Offline godwheel

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 08:43:32 AM »
HAHA! I saw this at GamingForce Forums

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 09:00:25 AM »
Yep.  

Anyways, yes I would have to say that I prefer Eternal Darkness to Resident Evil.  But keep in mind that the games are NOTHING alike.  I am a Resident Evil fan, but I prefer Eternal Darkness, as the style and atmosphere in the game is simply perfect.  It will be my model of a perfectly constructed game for years to come.  If you haven't tried it yet, you are doing yourself a major disservice.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 09:27:38 AM »
I'm so glad you said that, Grey, (and glad, too, that you spell it "Grey" and not "Gray") because Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness are so very dissimilar.  They are really only held together by the genre term "survival horror" and even that is shaky.  I enjoy Resident Evil and have played them since they first came out on PSX, but I can say without a doubt that I had more outright FUN with ED than I ever did with RE, with the sole exception of Code: Veronica, which I thought rocked.  It was still painfully marred by horrible writing and acting, whereas ED was not.  Terrific games both, but, as you say, so very different.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2003, 10:37:42 AM »

Originally posted by: theaveng
Is this game truly better than Resident Evil?  I read the planetgamecube reviews, and it doesn't really sound better... but I'd like to hear opinions from those who actually played the game.

HELL YEAH! Its the best game on Gamecube in my opinion, althought Metroid Prime still hasnt been released here. The graphics actually get really good once you get into the game and there is this one scene that you will remember for the rest of your life, it will scare the SH!T out of you!

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2003, 11:14:34 AM »
Ah yes, that scene.  The first time i screamed, the second time my heart arteries clogged up, and the 3rd time it took me 10 minutes to get the courage to go see it again.  It's just...so unexpected.  I mean, there doesnt LOOK like anything is in there, but there might be, and its so dark, and AHHHHHH!

Oh yes though, in my opinion, Eternal Darkness is THE best game on gamecube yet.  Just how the influence of Poe, Lovecraft, and others all come together to become one...hauntingly good game.  Fun stuff ^^. Actually, i wrote a review to it, at the site located below
I
I
V

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 12:19:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
The graphics actually get really good once you get into the game and there is this one scene that you will remember for the rest of your life, it will scare the SH!T out of you!

**SPOILER**

which scene are you talking about? the tub thing?

ive played through the game all 3 times. fantastic    
I'll shut up now...

Offline slide24

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 12:58:24 PM »
I just moved and haven't hooked up everything yet (TV, surround sound, etc), but I will try and see what I can do for you when I get the time. I planned on capturing the Eternal Darkness music anyway.  

If you need it immediately, don't wait on me. I don't know how long it will be.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2003, 01:09:51 PM »
Heh.  That's alright.  I have to actually get around to doing it anyways, and that takes a great deal of time.  I just thought I might sit down with an OpenGL book over reading week, and figure out some cool stuff on my own outside of class.  But right now I am sort of off on a tangent trying to build a physics engine for a flight simulator anyway.    I just downloaded the NACA TR-824 pdf, and I am kind of enthused about that....  But if you did do that for me, well....  I would be eternally in your debt.  

Btw, I have already ripped myself a couple of tracks from Eternal Darkness from when I had the game.  I have Maximillian, Karim, and Pious' music already ripped.  If you use any instant messengers, let me know, and I can share them with you.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2003, 01:11:39 PM »
My cousin is easily scared, so *that scene* was just to tempting to resist. I loaded up a second file which was saved right in the room. I was moving to *that area* and examined *it*, but my sister called my cousin from downstairs and she looked away!

SHE LOOKED AWAY! ARRRGH!

The scene finished, my cousin suddenly looked back at the TV and said "what was that scream?"
ARRRGH!
I was too frustrated to even say anything. I just turned off the game and said "You just ruined the whole f**king experience Sarah (my sis)!! Damn you to hell!"

My cousin just walked home laughing. It all backfired. And I was pissed.

I'm doing ED for the second time, on the blue path, and I'm playing as Peter Jacobs.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2003, 01:50:35 PM »
Describe the scene to me.

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2003, 02:11:29 PM »
Eternal Darkness is overrated.  The game is decent, but fighting hordes of the same stupid mindless zombies over and over again totally detracted from the atmosphere.  The puzzles really weren't that great, either, and the insanity effects were gimmicky, easy to spot and not scary in the least.  It did have good graphics, though.

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 04:03:02 PM »
I think the game is overrated too. I liked it but to call it the best game on the GC as so many do, I don't think it's even close. I'd probably give it an 8. I loved the story and the different environments you were put in to but in the end you constantly solved the same puzzles and battled the same enemies over and over again. I played all 3 paths but looking back, there is no way I'd want to do it again.

I loved the concept of the insanity effects but after you had seen 2 or 3, the rest just didn't work the rest of the game because they were expected. I'll give them an A for effort though.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2003, 09:16:10 PM »
I will agree that there are a serious lack of variety in the monsters in the game, but I will NOT agree that the sanity effects were too gimmicky or that they lost their effect.

I don't want to discuss too much of what I mean here, as I would consider them to be spoilers, but in my mind, the sanity effects are CENTRAL to the storyline.  Think about Alex's tale sometime, and exactly what happened as the night went on, and I think you will catch my drift.  It's in the subtleties that the game is truly powerful.  It's just a real pity that people don't pay attention to subtleness anymore.  It's a lost art.  Things in the game actually did happen in history.  The attention to detail, and the atmosphere in the game were simply perfect.  It's true that the game was lacking in some areas, and it isn't deserving of a perfect score, but to me, that is irrelevant.  It is still my favorite game on GameCube.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2003, 12:09:35 AM »

which scene are you talking about?

Yes, you were correct when you guessed what it was. Grey Ninja, i agree 100%, Eternal Darkness is a masterpiece, the BEST game on Gamecube, the BEST game this gen, one of the BEST game of all time. I strongly urge everyone to play it.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2003, 04:32:01 AM »
Can someone please describe the scene to me?  

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2003, 05:23:07 AM »
Describing the scene to you ruins the actual experience.  My friends and I were watching that one in the dark and it hits you when you least expect it.  A lot of my friends have dubbed Eternal Darkness the all-time best label; however, I still think, looking back and after completing Metroid Prime, I'm way more impressed with Metroid Prime than Eternal Darkness...and suprisingly, I've got videogame critics to back me on this one.  I disagree with the comment of it being overrated, but it has to be put in its proper place in the Top 10 and not in the Top 5.  
(1)  Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time
(2)  Metroid Prime
(3)  Super Metroid
(4)  Super Mario Bros. 3
(5)  Chrono Trigger
(10)  Eternal Darkness

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2003, 10:03:08 AM »
Actually, Eternal Darkness is my #3 game.  Chrono Trigger being #2, and Xenogears being #1.  (Metal Gear Solid is #4, and Final Fantasy VI is #5)  I simply cannot describe the respect I have for the game.

But about the scene, since the topic keeps popping up....  I actually screamed the first time I saw it.  The second time I still jumped, even though I had prepared myself for it.  Two of the sanity effects got me REALLY good too...

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2003, 10:40:34 AM »
I was actually scared more the second time i came across that scene.  See, the first time i saw it, it was later in the game   and i got scared.  then, the second time through, i went up there towards the beginning and i didnt think about it being there yet and it was....good lord it was the scariest thing in any game ever!!! but that was the ONLY scary part of ED which isnt good
Deftones own.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2003, 10:49:42 AM »
Eternal Darkness isn't about a cheap scare though.  It's meant more for a lasting impression.  That's where it truly hit the nail on the head.  The game has caused obsessive compulsive behaviors in me, and that's also a good sign.  The study guide for my midterm I wrote on Thursday had all kinds of runes and spells scribbled on it by the end of the day.  They actually worked too.

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2003, 05:16:28 AM »
Who the hell is this guy? I beat the game 3 times and ive never seen him! I did only take 2 of the 3 paths so maybe thats what hes from??!!
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness Request
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2003, 06:26:33 AM »
yeah i was waiting all the time for him too
hes from the cube club demo

I think its great how we always get back to talk about Eternal Darkness after this long time (relatively long) and the fact that it sold rather mediocre. I never see people still talking much about REmake or Mario Sunshine. Shows how great the game is and how well it was remembered.
Truly a masterpiece, yet very much improveable.

I hope to see more exciting fighting in the sequel and a little faster pace.
I thought it was really cool how the characters in ED werent really heros, some really were losers (fat and slow or old )
but I think in the sequel its time for some real Heros that can do some proper fighting action. I dont want the game to become an action only game, but Imagine the great story and spell system combined with some awesome fighting moves *drool'
LZ 2005