Author Topic: Nintendo Figurine Platform for NFC Figures Announced  (Read 10845 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo Figurine Platform for NFC Figures Announced
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »

This holiday, Nintendo enters the Skylanders and Disney Infinity space.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37367/nintendo-figurine-platform-for-nfc-figures-announced

Nintendo's long-anticipated Skylanders-like NFC platform has been revealed as NFP, which stands for both "NFC Featured Platform" and "Nintendo Figurine Platform."

Nintendo's plan is to release multiple NFC (near field communication) readable/writable figures that will contain data that can be transferred to several platforms and games. Currently, the Wii U supports this feature out of the box thanks to the GamePad's NFC reader. Nintendo also plans to release an IR-based NFC reader for the 3DS within the first half of 2015 ensuring compatibility with their current portable platform as well.

Nintendo views this new platform as a way to help leverage their IPs and hopes it becomes a core aspect of the company. Additionally, Nintendo is hoping the decorative boxes for NFP figures will help raise brand awareness from those passing by at retail locations.

Nintendo plans to launch their NFP platform by the end of 2014. More details, and supported software, for the Nintendo Figurine Platform will be revealed at E3 next month.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Figurine Platform for NFC Figures Announced
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
I can totally see Nintendo wasting 30 minutes of their digital event talking about this. Ugh.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 11:47:15 PM »
Wonderful 101 would have been perfect for something such as this. Although there is still potential for it in a possible sequel.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Tyto_Alba

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:50:09 AM »
it kind of depends on the game(s) it supports, but i can see myself buying these figures.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »
I can totally see Nintendo wasting 30 minutes of their digital event talking about this. Ugh.

I'm not singling you out, as I don't know you well enough to do so, but I must say that the former hardcore Nintendo fan (again, I can't say this is you as I don't know you well enough, so don't think I'm talking about you) turned "I am going to rag and bitch and moan and be obnoxiously negative about every facet of Nintendo now" is without a doubt the most annoying group in gaming right now to me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Elflord

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:53:52 AM »
Sounds kool, first thing i thought of was Pokemon. But so many possibilities!!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
Seems a bit late to be introducing this now though that's pretty much par for the course on Wii U.

I think it's a cool idea, just like Skylanders and Disney Infinity before it. Certainly, there's an audience for these collectible figures. While no games have been announced, I will probably have to sit this out if only due to the extra cost of the figures, unsurprisingly the same reason I just couldn't be bothered with Skylanders and Infinity. Additionally, these figures just seem like less convenient DLC.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »
Might be late to the party, but if the games behind the figures are good then it will be entirely worthwhile.

That said, I'm very curious what the related games will look like. Pokemon was the obvious fit for NFC collectible figures. The "collect them all" tagline is perfect, as is the way individual Pokemon have unique characteristics, are leveled up over time, and are trained to have specific moves available.

Going with characters from the Mario universe is a less natural fit, and makes me wonder what kind of stats/info will be attached to the figures - especially when they are talking about using the figures across multiple games. Maybe the info contained on figures will be more generic, including stuff like your Mii and user profile and save data for various games, making the figures a sort of "gaming passport" that can be taken to your friend's house?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »

I'm not singling you out, as I don't know you well enough to do so, but I must say that the former hardcore Nintendo fan (again, I can't say this is you as I don't know you well enough, so don't think I'm talking about you) turned "I am going to rag and bitch and moan and be obnoxiously negative about every facet of Nintendo now" is without a doubt the most annoying group in gaming right now to me.

To be fair, that annoying group in gaming you describe could be applied to several staff members appearing on NWR podcasts.  While NFC doesn't really do much for me, it sounds like a great way to expand into the toys business and I'm surprised to learn it will apply to several titles across both Wii U and 3DS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
I think this will make money.  Coming after Disney Infinity and probably the 4th Skylander really hurts its potential, though.  Now if these figures allow for Sonic and Knuckle style things that be interesting.  That would provide that Nintendo developed a framework that was really easy to hook into a game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
I really wanna see what kind of game(s) come from this.  I don't think I can be excited until I see some game play.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
Nintendo as usual is Late To The Party (even though there were first to RSVP), but atleast they were willing to show up.

I really expected this a while ago with a Pokemon game of some sort.

makes me wonder what kind of stats/info will be attached to the figures - especially when they are talking about using the figures across multiple games. Maybe the info contained on figures will be more generic, including stuff like your Mii and user profile and save data for various games, making the figures a sort of "gaming passport" that can be taken to your friend's house?

I think it would also be really cool if you could purchase your Mii Figurine, and use that as a way to transfer your profile from system to system.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
This is a good idea from a business perspective though I'll admit I personally hope it bombs.  I just don't want Nintendo games to routinely expect me to buy figurines to access the full content of the game.  Some kid focused figurine game I don't want to play anyway?  Sure, that's fine.  But a "real" Mario or Zelda or Pokemon?  No, I want to buy the game and call it a day.  It's no different than how I want microtransactions to fail as a concept as well.  There is too much consumer acceptance of getting nickle and dimed and I don't like a few spend-happy idiots ruining the industry for everyone else.

Imagine a SSB where you unlock characters by buying figures on top of the cost of the game.  Sadly while that upsets me greatly I know some people would be excited by the prospect.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
Imagine a SSB where you unlock characters by buying figures on top of the cost of the game.

where you unlock characters immediately by buying figures on top of the cost of the game.
as opposed to having to play to unlock those characters. Although I could see a few select hidden characters/variants that can only be unlocked by figurines.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:37 PM »
I hope that Nintendo has the balls to implement NFC in a manner that isn't as ridiculous as the pricing model for Skylanders. if you're going to have a game that revolves around NFC, reduce the price so that it feels cheaper initially, but becomes substantial for enthusiasts and collectors.

What Nintendo does have is the ability to make these figures have functionality across franchises rather than just one- and that's what I'm hoping they'll try to promote. Make my Pokemon Rumble figures have a purpose in the mainline Pokemon games, or give them a weird function in a new Zelda title.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Fireninjastar26

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
It's like fancy DLC for multiple games. :D

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:56 PM »
Nintendo's getting involved in this 'Toys-to-Life' genre too? Go figure.

sorry

Gouge away.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
Oh no... I'm such a sucker for well made figures. I got a kid now! Aint no body got time for that!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »
Ian, isn't SSB literally about a child playing with toys? I know it's evolved since, but what a perfect way to bring back the innocence of a sweet little game and charge 10$ a pop.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »
Ian, isn't SSB literally about a child playing with toys? I know it's evolved since, but what a perfect way to bring back the innocence of a sweet little game and charge 10$ a pop.

What do you work for Nintendo?  Why would you want this?  I get why Nintendo would but why would you want to pay twice what you used to pay for SSB for no reason other than Nintendo wanting to make you buy extra stuff?

Offline Griffinclaw

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
Damnit... well, regardless if I actually play any games involved with these figures, I'm still going to buy a Samus figure if I see it, lol. Should go nicely with my phazon suit Sideshow statue, zero suit figure, and Other M figma.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
What do you work for Nintendo?  Why would you want this?  I get why Nintendo would but why would you want to pay twice what you used to pay for SSB for no reason other than Nintendo wanting to make you buy extra stuff?
I don't want to speak for Stogi, but I believe there's value in the figures themselves. Some people like collecting stuff. Depending on price, I'd consider buying Samus, Link, and/or Daisy figures just to have. I can't see myself collecting all the figures for a game ($10 a figure can kindly get the **** out of my face), but I might buy one on sale if I thought the figure looked cool.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »
I don't want to speak for Stogi, but I believe there's value in the figures themselves. Some people like collecting stuff. Depending on price, I'd consider buying Samus, Link, and/or Daisy figures just to have. I can't see myself collecting all the figures for a game ($10 a figure can kindly get the **** out of my face), but I might buy one on sale if I thought the figure looked cool.

Yeah, the figures have some real value.  I wouldn't dislike owning some Nintendo figures but I don't want to HAVE to to access videogame content.  It annoys me in the same way DLC does but this is worse because it's less direct.  At least with DLC if I want it I go the eShop and buy it.  Here I might have to hunt all over town for some figure that's sold out everywhere.  Ugh.

I say let figures be figures and video games be video games and you buy what interests you.  But making one unrelated item a glorified mandatory purchase for the other is pretty lame.  I really hope they don't misuse the concept in that way.  Nintendo hasn't even revealed that they will but the potential for abuse here is really high so I'm concerned.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
I have bought one set of these micro-scams, er, fgures since the whole thing began and that was as a Christmas gift for my nephew. (My sister-in-law still hasn't forgiven me.)

I don't see this changing for me.

However, if the rewards for investment are also available through the course of normal play, then I won't be as upset.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 09:31:41 PM »
When I read this news I immediately thought of Smash Bros, because all the trophies in Melee were like the same kind of thing and collecting the digital trophies was my favorite part of that game. I don't know if this will sell me on the system but Nintendo found away to get some of my money this year.
Trying to be a better person, honest.