Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 410382 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #1325 on: April 23, 2014, 07:21:08 AM »
Another World seems to be coming to Wii U and 3DS, among other consoles.

Might pick this up, i really love this game.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 24, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
Gamexplain video with every track in the game (long):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGhLRezM_C8

Those are some great Mario Kart skills.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
So looking at the Mario Kart 8 eShop page it looks like voice chat will be supported on the game. That's good.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 30, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Watching Mario Kart 8 Direct:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpfRzP2ONU
Metallic Peach?.. Bottom of the barrel... Whatever...
so far my favourite segment is look inside the recording of the music. I even started to recognize musicians (two trumpet players: one is a "blondie" with a headband and the other one with glasses -- they've been in all previous recordings including the latest, big band one).

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 30, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »
The character list is disappointing but we already knew that. I did like that you can at least have a shot at defending yourself against the blue shell. The online looks more robust than ever (voice chat, friend matches and tournaments?! Oh wow). And the promotion is good for people like me who still haven't played Pikmin 3.

Digital would trump physical if only because this seems like one of those games you'll always want ready to go in your home screen.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Definitely getting this - I hope the free software promotion is in the US too. Gonna be tough to choose from Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker...but I think Pikmin 3 wins. I wonder if you're limited to one download, like if you buy several copies of the game (for others) but want to keep the download code for yourself.

And that bass player if effing amazing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:16:32 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 30, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
So looking at the Mario Kart 8 eShop page it looks like voice chat will be supported on the game. That's good.
in lobbies only
but still good
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1332 on: April 30, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
Definitely getting this - I hope the free software promotion is in the US too. Gonna be tough to choose from Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker...but I think Pikmin 3 wins. I wonder if you're limited to one download, like if you buy several copies of the game (for others) but want to keep the download code for yourself.

The CN free games just generate a code you punch into the eShop the same way you add an eShop card, so if you can find someone to give/sell you a code you could cash it in.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1333 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:19 PM »
The promotion should apply to the US.  Reggie was the one who talked about it.  It'd be a real slap in the dick to have NOA president reveal something not coming to NA.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »
slap in the...

The free software is in the US, but only 4 titles. NSMBU, Pikmin3, WWHD, and WiiPartyU.

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 01, 2014, 03:28:50 AM »
would like the other 6options Europe gets :(
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
Its not like they aren't all going for $20 or so on Amazon so I don't see why they aren't included. I plan on getting Pikmin since it is the one that has retained its value the best but I wish the other options were available for folks that have all of those games.

Anyone willing to trade a physical Pikmin 3 for the digital code? I prefer my games in disc form.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1337 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
IGN is supposedly at it again.  Trying to get attention from another rumor.  Supposedly Nintendo is going to show off new hardware at E3.  Hmmm….New hardware?  What could it be?

Obviously people are rightly rejecting the idea of a Wii U replacement.  So that leaves only a few ideas.  A 3DS revision.  (It's about time for one.)  I could see Nintendo trying to update the 3DS with a unit that is more powerful but still compatible.  Like Nintendo will try to go the phone route.  Update every 3-4 years but have it backwards compatible with older games for 2 generations.

Another idea might be new controllers.  Imagine Nintendo thinking we need to recreate Wii…and finally release the next generation Wii controllers.   Packed with the right game this could be big. 

My last 2 guesses are far shots….and probably impossible, but interesting.  1) A streaming Tivo like device that only places virtual console games.  This system could be aimed at a different market then the Wii U…but it might still rub gamers the wrong way, so I think No.   Finally, how about a Nintendo phone?  I could see it happen….not.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 01, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
I could see Nintendo trying to update the 3DS with a unit that is more powerful but still compatible.  Like Nintendo will try to go the phone route.  Update every 3-4 years but have it backwards compatible with older games for 2 generations.

**** them if they do this.  I just bought a 3DS last year and I except it to be able to play ALL 3DS games until a proper successor is released.  **** this rip-off half step nonsense and any moron that falls for that crap and ruins it for the rest of us.  Sadly the DSi sets precedence for Nintendo doing such a thing.

They've talked about this Quality of Life thing.  I'm assuming that is some sort of new hardware.  Probably not a Wii U successor but likely some new platform.  That's probably what the rumour is about.

Though I hope it's a Wii U successor.  That product has no future and will drag them down like an anchor the longer it flounders.  It would be dumb to announce a successor too soon though.  The second they do it will kill the Wii U for good so they can't do it with a several year wait still ahead.  That's like Sega dumb.  Revealing it at E3 would only make sense if the console drops later this year and I'm sure THAT isn't going to happen.

Of course that introduces a different problem.  What if QoL is something different but everyone assumes it's a Wii U successor and Wii U sales drop off even more than they are now?  Nintendo tried the "third pillar" idea with the DS but that turned out to be the GBA successor so would anyone take such a line at face value?  The last thing Nintendo needs is dumb Gamestop clerks discouraging people from buying a Wii U because "didn't you hear?  Nintendo's releasing the QoL and that's going to replace the Wii U."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1339 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
2DSXL or bust. Though the source of the rumor is apparently an SEO tag on Nintendo's website.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 01, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »
Maybe it'll be a GamePad revision.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
I'm pulling for a 3DS player for the WiiU. It will do next to nothing to improve the WiiU's standing, and will have a marginally positive effect on 3DS software. Overall a win and plus I'd buy it! Yeah!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 01, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
I don't think the QoL market is going to be at Gamestop...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 01, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
Could it not be some Quality of Life hardware? I'm sure we are all just DYING to see what Nintendo has been cooking up. :rolleyes;

But if it's gaming related, I would put money on it's not a successor for the Wii U hardware. It could be a revision with more built in functionality at the same price, but that almost seems like a lost cause on this venture.
If it is NEW hardware (as in not a revision of something already released) it will likely be the announcement of a 3DS successor. as it's about that time. They don't have to release it this year, but an announcement of it this year gives all 3rd parties more than ample time to get something up an running for the release and it's release window.

edit: I shouldn't have let this post sit for so long before hitting send....

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 01, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »
Honestly, I am betting on a Gamepad revisions that resembles a handheld, and possibly has the features need to to tap into wi-fi to play Wii U games anywhere on the go. This would make sense for a Japanese audience. Although I would not rule out a 3DS player for the Wii U considering that DS games are coming to its Virtual Console. Overall, Nintendo will unveil a universal system account between the Wii U and 3DS to bridge the gap for the inevitable hybrid to be revealed in a few years.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 01, 2014, 11:18:33 PM »
Considering the Mario Kart 8 bundle is coming out 2 weeks before E3, we can rule out any Wii U revisions.  After the Direct yesterday went out of its way to show a great a deal this new bundle is and why everyone should be buying Wii U's for Mario Kart 8, Nintendo is pretty much betting it all on that game.  If they're planning on this bundle improving the Wii U's current situation, they're not going to announce anything that could possibly make people hold off on buying it when the Direct showed they want as many people buying Mario Kart 8 between May 30's and July 31st, since that's how long that free game download deal will last.

I could see it being some kind of 3DS revision since the 3DS sales have been down this year in Japan compared to what they were last year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they even release it this Summer to go along with Smash Bros 3DS, since that would be the most effective way to improve 3DS sales in Japan as quickly as possible.  Plus we're kind of due for a new handheld revision since it's been almost 2 years now since the 3DS XL was released.  Nintendo handhelds usually seem to get their new revisions every 2-3 years so getting a new kind of 3DS shown wouldn't exactly be out of the ordinary compared to what the GBA and DS had.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 01, 2014, 11:38:04 PM »
Zelda Wii U has to be shown this year. All of the Wii U's big guns will be out by the end of the year and Bayonetta 2 and X are just not major system sellers to garner enough interest in the console through 2015. Although Nintendo has more games up their sleeves for this year's E3.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1347 on: May 02, 2014, 12:33:25 AM »
Is it really about time for a 3DS successor though?  The portables tend to last longer than 5 years. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:32 AM »
Nintendo needs to invigorate sales and the handheld sector is their golden egg. 5 years is plenty for the 3DS, especially when the successor will probably be fully BC.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 02, 2014, 12:53:31 AM »
Honestly, I am betting on a Gamepad revisions that resembles a handheld, and possibly has the features need to to tap into wi-fi to play Wii U games anywhere on the go.

So you're betting on an already over-priced console to get more expsensive?