Author Topic: Wii U Virtual Console Coming in the Future  (Read 12044 times)

Offline tylerohlew

• NWR Staff
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
Wii U Virtual Console Coming in the Future
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »

Until then, the GamePad is no use for Virtual Console titles.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/32474

The Wii U will be receiving its own Virtual Console service in the future, Nintendo's Satoru Iwata confirmed. Until its arrival, however, players cannot expect to be playing Wii and Wii Virtual Console titles on the Wii U GamePad.

As confirmed by our Japan correspondents, a post on NeoGAF's gaming forums quoted Iwata to say "We understand that there are people who were looking to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations."

As it stands, Wii Virtual Console titles are only available to play on the Wii U by putting the system into Wii Mode. From there, only accepted Wii controllers are allowed for use.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Virtual Console Coming in the Future
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:07:18 AM »
This really should have been implemented for launch, I wanna be able to play Super Metroid on the Gamepad goddamit!

Offline geo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:13:14 AM »
This really should have been implemented for launch, I wanna be able to play Super Metroid on the Gamepad goddamit!

While it would have been a nice feature, I'm glad this is on the backburner, and their priorities are on other more pertinent online features and an eshop at launch.   At least we know they're aware that it is something people want, and we could see it as an update soon! 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
So just like when the 3DS launched without the eShop, the Wii U is launching without the Virtual Console. It's nice to see Nintendo learning from their mistakes.

Well, at least they've acknowledged that people want a Wii U Virtual Console (especially one playable on the Wii U's big selling point), and that it's coming. Hopefully they'll recognize that people want more than one release every other week.  Oh wait, it's Nintendo. Never mind.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
My questions are, does my Wii VC translate into Wii U VC games, or am I expected to repurchase for the privilege of playing on the tablet?

and also, do my VC games have to already be downloaded on the Wii (prior to transfer) to be playable on the Wii U, or can I download them on the Wii U after the account transfer?

Offline Aero Leviathan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
I surmised as much from their previous vague statements on the matter. (Why is Nintendo completely unable to articulate anything at all clearly? A mystery for the ages...)

What I want to know is: will the Pro Controller be usable with Wii games?

I read something on GameStop's web site that suggested no, but they're hardly an official source and it wouldn't surprise me if someone there made it up (based on Nintendo's vague guidance). If the answer really is no, however, that makes it a whole lot less useful than the Classic Controller Pro (which I have so far held off on buying), which is a shame considering the Pro's already-ridiculous price.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »
The Wii U Pro Controller is the same price as the DualShock 3 and Xbox 360 Controller, so I wouldn't call it overpriced.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
That depends on how you look at it. The Dual Shock 3 and 360 controllers are the same price as they were when they were released. Considering all technology becomes cheaper with the passage of time, I would call both of the controllers overpriced. The Wii U Pro Controller doesn't have a head phone jack or analog triggers and probably doesn't feature anything more than controllers on competing platforms do so I'd consider it overpriced as well. Mind you, I'll probably end up buying 2 of them eventually, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're overpriced. Hopefully, I can find a coupon or get them on sale.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:42:46 PM by Adrock »

Offline Aero Leviathan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
The Wii U Pro Controller is the same price as the DualShock 3 and Xbox 360 Controller, so I wouldn't call it overpriced.

The DualShock 3 and Xbox controllers can be used with every game on their respective systems, unlike the Pro Controller. That's my point. How much it's worth to me is determined by how useful it is.

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
It's good that it's in the works.

Honestly, with everything else they're trying to achieve with this console it doesn't surprise me that they didn't have time to update every single virtual console game from wii functionality to wii u functionality. Now, maybe I don't know anything, but that's a lot of games, and it seems like it would take a lot of time. So to me, having miiverse, eshop, browser, etc. on day one is far more important than gamepad functionality for wii virtual console games.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:12:47 AM by Fjurbanski »
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
So dumb.
Gouge away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
While I'm not surprised, I am a little surprised that there wasn't a function built in that just lets you swap (or mirror) the video out on the Wii U from the TV to the GamePad while in old Wii mode.  You'd still have to use the Wii Remote with the Game Pad (perhaps leaving it sitting in the stand), but that would be a pretty quick fix and would let folks play *every* Wii title off-screen.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »
My questions are, does my Wii VC translate into Wii U VC games, or am I expected to repurchase for the privilege of playing on the tablet?

and also, do my VC games have to already be downloaded on the Wii (prior to transfer) to be playable on the Wii U, or can I download them on the Wii U after the account transfer?

These are the pertinent questions: the quote doesn't sound like they're planning on making your wii virtual console games playable on the Wii U game pad.  It sounds like they're making an entirely separate Wii U virtual console where they can re-sell you the same games with "game pad functionality!"...

I expect this to be more like the 3D classics on 3DS than an update like they did with the ambassador games.

Very disappointing to hear.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
I would hope Nintendo doesn't make people repurchase VC games. That would be lamezorz. Having to download a Wii U version which automatically replaces the Wii version (i.e. the older version is deleted forever and unable to be redownloaded) is an acceptable alternative since patching probably won't be easy or worth the trouble. That Wii U version will probably do what we all want it to (playable on GamePad).

Offline ResettisCousin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
I appreciate Nintendo directly answering this question, for the time being.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on the Wii Virtual Console. That I won't be able to play them on the Gamepad for an indefinite amount of time, that I won't be able to use a  modern interface to sort, group, and list them (the narrow-minded "channel" metaphor completely breaks when you have 17 pages of unsortable purchases), and especially that I don't have any assurance of not having to repurchase the games to gain these features, is deeply worrying! If profit, licenses or technology prevent a clean transfer of at least 90 percent of my Wii VC purchases, Nintendo won't make another dollar from me on digital distribution.

unless they bring out Saturn games. [yeouch!]

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
I'm inferring from this that, yeah, this is Nintendo's plan to make us repurchase VC games to get the Gamepad functionality and I suspected that since it was revealed that the VC would be run in the backwards compatible Wii mode.  It just fits the corporate culture regarding IP.  It's a new system so you buy the games all over again (like you don't get free BluRays to replace your DVDs).  I'm not thrilled about that at all, but I won't act like Nintendo are being exceptionally dickheaded here because I figure Sony and MS would do the same thing.

I think this and the fairly restrictive hard drive details have been released this late on purpose in hope that early adopters won't notice or will have already made a pre-order and would not want to back out of it.  Both pieces of news are not necessarily positive.  Nintendo is often vague and ambiguous when trying to hide something that would not go over all that well if stated clearly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
I'm glad Nintendo acknowledges that they didn't live up to people's expectations with this, and that they intend t rectify that at some point. I'll be interested to see when and how they do that.

I'm inferring from this that, yeah, this is Nintendo's plan to make us repurchase VC games to get the Gamepad functionality and I suspected that since it was revealed that the VC would be run in the backwards compatible Wii mode.  It just fits the corporate culture regarding IP.  It's a new system so you buy the games all over again (like you don't get free BluRays to replace your DVDs).  I'm not thrilled about that at all, but I won't act like Nintendo are being exceptionally dickheaded here because I figure Sony and MS would do the same thing.

I think this and the fairly restrictive hard drive details have been released this late on purpose in hope that early adopters won't notice or will have already made a pre-order and would not want to back out of it.  Both pieces of news are not necessarily positive.  Nintendo is often vague and ambiguous when trying to hide something that would not go over all that well if stated clearly.

I don't necessarily think Nintendo's trying to hide anything, and this news and the hard drive news are actually improvements over some of the speculation we had prior to these announcements. We already knew they weren't supporting the GamePad for VC, and didn't know if they'd ever do so. Now we know they will, and while it may or may not include paying more for it, it's still better than not knowing if they ever will.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
It's great to hear that they're planning to release a Wii U VC. That was just something living in assumption land for all of us up until now. I'm okay if their priorities mean it doesn't make launch, just let me know it'll happen and that you've got your priorities in order.

However, as a longtime Nintendo gamer and realist/pessimist, I fully expect us to have to repurchase our VC games for native Wii U support.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
Wii U Pro Controller cannot be used to play Wii games.
Do my VC games have to already be downloaded on the Wii (prior to transfer) to be playable on the Wii U, or can I download them on the Wii U after the account transfer?

You will be able to download them after the account transfer. Bill Trinen says this in the NOA Nintendo Direct video from yesterday.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline ResettisCousin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Please, if we're going to make analogies to other industries or mediums, let's not make broken ones. The obvious point of comparison is to Apple and Apple Store purchases.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »
I wouldn't compare Nintendo's downloads to Apple's. Apple's way more on top of things than Nintendo, and everything just works across multiple different devices with no real effort on the user's part. I don't think Nintendo's ever going to get to that point.

I think the only real comparison to make is how Microsoft handled download game transfers from the Xbox to the Xbox 360, which I don't remember much about and also had the added factor of completely different hardware architectures.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
I think this is a lets wait and see statement.

Yes, it is coming...and Nintendo is trying to figure out how best to do this.  Of course each virtual console game will have to be slightly reprogrammed to be able to work with the Gamepad...but I hope that doesn't mean Nintendo will try to get greedy.

Personally, I look at this in 2 ways, both are positive in different ways.

1)  Nintendo is figuring out how to best implement the virtual console transfer, and it will be easier to do, once Nintendo has a bulk of the Wii VC games and such transferred over to the Nintendo Network account, and everything is smoothed out and in place.  Then Nintendo can implement the new Virtual Console system and allow you the choice to transfer all old Wii VC games to the newer standard and game pad support.  Simple and easy, but necessary because if anything is broken or not in place for a smooth transfer gamers will be upset...and Nintendo already screwed up by not having an account based system from the beginning.

or another option...less desirable is this.

2)  Nintendo is making a new VC system structure and this new system may include new functions for the new system, that would warrant a new purchase price.  Nintendo will include Gamepad support...but perhaps Nintendo will also add online play support for classic games.  This alone would justify a repurchase price.  Also Nintendo could do other minor upgrades like adding 4 player support to Super Mario Kart or something...unlikely but still possible.  All of this could be done so Nintendo could justify reselling the game, and I think gamers would support that. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
I figured as much, though the wording makes me think it could be separate and you have to re-buy games...

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »
This is so sloppy and lazy that it's embarrassing. How did Nintendo get something so basic so wrong? No wonder Japan is in decline. They just don't trail-blaze any more.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
This is so sloppy and lazy that it's embarrassing. How did Nintendo get something so basic so wrong? No wonder Japan is in decline. They just don't trail-blaze any more.

It's not that basic. Every single Virtual Console game has its own emulator, so it's more complicated than you think.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20