Author Topic: Who Turned Out the Lights?  (Read 11247 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Who Turned Out the Lights?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »
Are there some good YouTube videos we can look at for comparison?  That would be helpful.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Once you've discovered which surfaces light up a little, you *might* get them to make the tiniest flash by using your gun (or if they're too big, you might not).

By reigning in the lighting so tightly, they prevent any vertex lighting artifacts and they keep the frame rate high.

Given the former sentence, the framerate conclusion doesn't make a lot of sense.  It sounds more like a stylistic choice, but I have not played Prime 3, so I can't comment further.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 12:36:32 PM »
High-five, guys!

This isn't a competition.  Grow up.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »
"Corruption has virtually no dynamic lighting."

There's a virtually absolute statement.  And it doesn't hold up.

"I also tested bombs and morph ball mode.  Bombs make a big pretty explosion with a giant glowing halo effect, but that's not dynamic lighting that's just a glowing texture."

The "dynamic lighting" in the previous Prime games were just glowing triangles, that lit up and travelled along with some source, whether it's a standard Power Beam pellet or a rolling Morph Ball.  They lit up per triangle, not exclusively the texture.  The different speeds produce different impressions, but it's the same principle effect among all 3 games.  We're dealing with the same GameCube tech in all 3 games, afterall.  The same technique is emphasized for flashlight lighting in Resident Evil 4 and Eternal Darkness.  The lighting appearance looks more appealing and gradual when there's an abundance of triangles, traditionally on main characters (Prime 2, REmake, RE4).

Prime3 just has clearly different aesthetic priorities.  Beam Weapon lighting may have been a big deal in the first Prime in the first year of GameCube's life, but it's old news.  Bloom is the new baby, and dynamic triangle gimmicks have been de-emphasized.  Sanctuary Fortress in Prime2 comprised a good 1/3 of the game, and the majority of Prime3 became a techno-wonderland (as opposed to earthy-organic), with many surfaces blooming just for the sake of blooming.  Additionally, Prime3 surfaces don't light up unless the "source" is close enough -- in Prime1&2, everything seemed to want to light up anyway, otherwise you just didn't see other eye candy alternatives applied, just reliable dull surfaces.

I'm also under the suspicion that bloom lighting isn't "compatible" with the glowing triangle method, and bloom will have priority.  The bloom on a surface can be sufficiently bright, and I won't see them lit by Beam Weapons at all -- no superposition, no combined color values to produce greater brightness intensity.

Prime3 has no depth-of-field blurring.
StarFox Adventures > Metroid Prime 3

What's missing in Prime3 isn't the dynamic lighting, it's those dark earthy/organic environments that we spent so much time in the previous games that helped highlight the lighting.  WE ALSO DON'T HAVE A WATER STAGE.

"Are there some good YouTube videos we can look at for comparison?  That would be helpful."

No.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »
Meh, this thread was tl;dr
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:36:48 PM by KDR_11k »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
Wise choice.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
Are there some good SSV videos we can look at for comparison?  That would be helpful.

Fixed for Pro.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
"Corruption has virtually no dynamic lighting."

There's a virtually absolute statement.  And it doesn't hold up.

I realize that now don't I. 

Unfortunately the site is set up currently so that I can't edit my own blog post once it's posted.  So I'll either have to request an update to the blog post which will take some time.  I'll happily admit that I was slightly wrong and that you were the one that set me straight.  Instead, of Prime 3 having "virtually no dynamic lighting", it should be "...practically no dynamic lighting, excepting morph ball bombs and a few other odds and ends.  In particular, beams do pretty much nothing now..."  Or whatever.

The "dynamic lighting" in the previous Prime games were just glowing triangles, that lit up and travelled along with some source, whether it's a standard Power Beam pellet or a rolling Morph Ball.  They lit up per triangle, not exclusively the texture.  The different speeds produce different impressions, but it's the same principle effect among all 3 games.  We're dealing with the same GameCube tech in all 3 games, afterall.  The same technique is emphasized for flashlight lighting in Resident Evil 4 and Eternal Darkness.  The lighting appearance looks more appealing and gradual when there's an abundance of triangles, traditionally on main characters (Prime 2, REmake, RE4).

And that's all the dynamic lighting is in Prime 3, except there's a lot less of it.  By the way, bloom lighting isn't dynamic lighting, it's just an overly saturated texture that pulses a little bit.  It doesn't cast light on its surrounding (barring additional programming which Prime 3 doesn't have).

Prime3 just has clearly different aesthetic priorities.  Beam Weapon lighting may have been a big deal in the first Prime in the first year of GameCube's life, but it's old news.  Bloom is the new baby, and dynamic triangle gimmicks have been de-emphasized.  Sanctuary Fortress in Prime2 comprised a good 1/3 of the game, and the majority of Prime3 became a techno-wonderland (as opposed to earthy-organic), with many surfaces blooming just for the sake of blooming.  Additionally, Prime3 surfaces don't light up unless the "source" is close enough -- in Prime1&2, everything seemed to want to light up anyway, otherwise you just didn't see other eye candy alternatives applied, just reliable dull surfaces.

Clearly it does.  Another possible reason for practically eliminating dynamic lights from beam weapons is that it might have made the visuals too "busy" making aiming more difficult (particularly now that free aiming is an option).  That doesn't mean I have to like the new aesthetic priority.

I'm also under the suspicion that bloom lighting isn't "compatible" with the glowing triangle method, and bloom will have priority.  The bloom on a surface can be sufficiently bright, and I won't see them lit by Beam Weapons at all -- no superposition, no combined color values to produce greater brightness intensity.

This is not true at all.  They're perfectly compatible with one another, except Retro may have chosen to deliberately eliminate dynamic vertex lighting in certain areas for aesthetic or performance reasons.

By the way, this isn't a competition.  It's a blog post.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 01:34:59 AM »
Great thread.
High-five, guys!

This isn't a competition.  Grow up.
It's a parody.

When you do a ****, you can't just change your mind and eat it back.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:42:53 AM by Mario »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 01:56:52 AM »
God, I love reading a serious Pro post. They are always so insightful.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 04:13:07 AM »
Hey gang, I just thought I'd remind everyone that anything offensive (in the eyes of the moderators)--such as acting like a troll--is subject to the rules.

Pro, Rize, and a few other people are having a serious discussion with valid points that add to the conversation. Rize isn't out to "get" anyone, and there's no need for personal attacks, gloating, or any other similar behavior. You can agree with Pro without talking trash. Also, with few exceptions, people are allowed to be mistaken, mislead, or otherwise wrong without it being held against them indefinitely.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi