Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317922 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #450 on: May 04, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »
Why would there be more people using the second iteration of an OS than the 3rd version of the OS?

A pretty significant portion of the Android user base are on phones that aren't really smartphones, and don't get updates, so their phone shipped with that version and that's what they have until they get a new phone.
How are they not smartphones? Is it an eligibility thing? Do you have to have an official update before your phone becomes a smartphone? Is the galaxy S4 not a smartphone because it hasn't gotten an update yet?

That logic is completely broken from where i'm standing... please explain it

Alot of people also may buy a phone to experiment with rooting... the prepaid ZTE Avail is a great example of this...(although i own one as well as my main phone, go ahead... look up the spec sheet and laugh)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 04, 2013, 06:14:25 PM »
Between Google Drive and Google Music, I'm seeing less and less reason to have a ton of local storage. Cloud services keep me from caring about the lack of an SD slot on iOS devices.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 04, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Between Google Drive and Google Music, I'm seeing less and less reason to have a ton of local storage. Cloud services keep me from caring about the lack of an SD slot on iOS devices.
I have absolutely no trust in the cloud, It is way to big of a target for hackers imo... what would you do if google drive goes down like PSN, what if something happens to your 4G network, (and besides, the less i have to deal with on data charges the better,)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 04, 2013, 07:22:28 PM »
Cloud services like the ones I mentioned are mirrored completely on a local PC hard drive, so you never lose the date, just the ability to access it remotely. Like I said, you want some local storage to cache the really important stuff, but in terms of less vital data and transferring between devices, the cloud is a great tool.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #454 on: May 04, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »
Why would there be more people using the second iteration of an OS than the 3rd version of the OS?

A pretty significant portion of the Android user base are on phones that aren't really smartphones, and don't get updates, so their phone shipped with that version and that's what they have until they get a new phone.
How are they not smartphones? Is it an eligibility thing? Do you have to have an official update before your phone becomes a smartphone? Is the galaxy S4 not a smartphone because it hasn't gotten an update yet?

That logic is completely broken from where i'm standing... please explain it

Alot of people also may buy a phone to experiment with rooting... the prepaid ZTE Avail is a great example of this...(although i own one as well as my main phone, go ahead... look up the spec sheet and laugh)

They're called "Feature Phones".
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
The Wiki you linked to makes the claim that iOS is the only majore phone OS not to appear on a feature phone, but there are many who would argue that the original iPhone running the iPhone OS 1.0, pre-App Store, would be considered a feature phone by modern standards, due to its fixed, limited software library.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #456 on: May 04, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
Very true, but how much have those standards changed since 2007? Doesn't seem like that long ago, but mobile OSes seem to be aging in dog years.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 04, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
That Wikipedia "article" is horse ****.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
That Wikipedia "article" is horse ****.

Then work on it to improve it. Articles are only as good as the effort people are willing to put into them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 05, 2013, 12:04:23 AM »
In a completely unexpected move, Barnes & Noble is opening up the Nook to Google's apps and services. Starting today, a software update will be released that will add the Google Play store, along with the typical suite of Google apps (Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, etc.) to the Nook HD and Nook HD+.

This is AMAZING news! Adding Google Play is something consumers have been asking for since the device was released, and this move finally makes the Nook a more viable competitor to the Kindle Fire. I'll definitely be buying a Nook HD now.

I just wish they'd match Amazon's storage and pricing. Drop the 8 GB Nook (cause who uses 8 GB tablets anyways?), and have the 16 GB model at $200, and a 32 GB model at $230. (Talking about the 7" models)
the nook tablets do have SD cards...

True, but you can't store apps on SD cards. Google blocked it.
But you can store everything else in there, there's a reason i refuse to buy a phone without an SD card, it's because I happen to have alot of everything else.

Besides, if i'm not mistaken it is still a Barnes and Noble device...

Yes, but the addition of Google Play and the Google suite of apps gives the Nook HD a huge advantage over the Kindle Fire devices. You get the best of B&N (books) and the best of Google all on one device, without having to hack it.  ;)

The Amazon Appstore has plenty of apps, but Google Play has much more developer support, so apps are released and updated on a more frequent basis.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:05:55 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #460 on: May 05, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
The Kindle Fire is just as good (if not better) then the Nook in terms of book selections. They both have over 1 million books, as well as any newspapers and magazines. Kindle also has Kindle Exclusives and the Lending Library (if you are a Amazon Prime member).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 05, 2013, 05:45:29 AM »
I was talking about the whole ecosystem of those tablets: books, movies, music, and apps.

With the new addition of Google Play, the Nook HD now has a huge advantage over the Kindle Fire HD. Google Play has a ton of developer support and it gets new app releases and updates on a more frequent basis than the Amazon Appstore.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 05, 2013, 08:04:03 AM »
While it's nice that you can have Google Play on the Nook HD, and the Kindle Fire has a cool interface - you're still better off just getting a Nexus 7 or even an Asus Memo Pad or Galaxy Tab 7.0 2. Nothing is stopping you from using the Kindle and/or Nook apps on either device (or Google Play Books), or Amazon video or anything like that.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 05, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
The Galaxy Tab 3 was just announced, and it has the same terrible screen as the Galaxy Tab 2. Why can't Samsung put good screens on their 7" tablets?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 05, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
While it's nice that you can have Google Play on the Nook HD, and the Kindle Fire has a cool interface - you're still better off just getting a Nexus 7 or even an Asus Memo Pad or Galaxy Tab 7.0 2. Nothing is stopping you from using the Kindle and/or Nook apps on either device (or Google Play Books), or Amazon video or anything like that.

I'd replace "Asus Memo Pad" with "HP Slate 7". The Memo Pad is just a dumbed down Nexus 7.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: May 05, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
Nook HD/+ are going to be on sale according to android police.

Anyone here [lan on trying one of the Blackberry 10 phones.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 05, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
Nook HD/+ are going to be on sale according to android police.

Anyone here [lan on trying one of the Blackberry 10 phones.

I like Android Central, myself. But yeah they already are on sale at Best Buy.

16GB Nook HD: $179
16GB Nook HD+: $179
32GB Nook HD+: $199

Those are some amazing deals, especially for the 9" HD+. Barnes & Noble is definitely losing money on each Nook sold, but sales of digital content makes up for that.

Is anyone else surprised at how much Samsung is charging for the Galaxy Note 8.0? $399 for an 8" tablet is ridiculous, especially when the iPad Mini is $70 cheaper.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:58:35 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 05, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
I was talking about the whole ecosystem of those tablets: books, movies, music, and apps.

With the new addition of Google Play, the Nook HD now has a huge advantage over the Kindle Fire HD. Google Play has a ton of developer support and it gets new app releases and updates on a more frequent basis than the Amazon Appstore.
so i was reading the first page of this thread... is the nook now a "true" android tablet

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 05, 2013, 11:55:07 PM »
Yes, because of the Google certification, the Nook HD now has access to Google Play and the suite of Google apps.

On the other hand, the Kindle Fire may technically run Android at its core, but Amazon tweaked the OS so much that it hardly resembles Android anymore. Plus there's the fact that Amazon wants nothing to do with Google's services. The Kindle Fire was designed to consume Amazon content, first and foremost.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:56:59 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »
Well looks like there's no reason to buy a Nook anymore.

According to Tech Crunch, Microsoft wants to completely buy the Nook division from Barnes & Noble. The Android-based Nook tablets will be discontinued next year, as the company moves away from hardware to a new business model of software distribution.

I guess putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a wasted endeavor, since the tablets will be discontinued next year.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:33:18 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 09, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »

Nope. I like the speed of local storage and the ability to use it while not connected to the Internet or using data. Also, what happens if Google wants to stop the service, like with that one service that closed recently that I forgot the name of?

According to Tech Crunch, Microsoft wants to completely buy the Nook division from Barnes & Noble. The Android-based Nook tablets will be discontinued next year, as the company moves away from hardware to a new business model of software distribution.

I guess putting Google Play on the Nook HD was a wasted endeavor, since the tablets will be discontinued next year.

Oooo, those will be in a fire sale in a year's time like those HP Touchpad's back in '11.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 09, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »

You assume they would kill the nook line. They wouldn't they would just replace Android with WinRT which makes alot more sense for nook as a company.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
perhaps that's why the nook got play

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 10, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »
perhaps that's why the nook got play

But why would B&N go through the trouble to put Google Play on the Nook if they're discontinuing them?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 10, 2013, 01:13:02 AM »

You assume they would kill the nook line. They wouldn't they would just replace Android with WinRT which makes alot more sense for nook as a company.

But Barnes & Noble does want to move away from hardware and focus on software distribution. They can't compete with Amazon, so they really have no other choice.

If Microsoft buys the Nook division (which includes eBooks), how will Barnes & Noble survive on their own?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:14:59 AM by tendoboy1984 »