Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317847 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »
Again, that has been answered. Google CHOOSES to let carriers release updates when they want to. Carriers can also modify each update the way they want to. Google is hands-off, they design updates and release them, letting manufacturers and carriers do what they want with updates.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

I would rather
Again, that has been answered. Google CHOOSES to let carriers release updates when they want to. Carriers can also modify each update the way they want to. Google is hands-off, they design updates and release them, letting manufacturers and carriers do what they want with updates.

That would explain why so many Android phones run outdated software.

I would rather have a phone with the latest software updates (iPhone, Nexus phone, Windows Phone).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:54:22 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »
But that still doesn't explain why Apple can release updates on their own schedule without carrier restriction. I'm guessing it's because many people update their iPhones through iTunes, and carriers have no control over that.
Yes it does.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
Nexus 4 is a pretty Legit phone so far. I'm diggin stock android and set up was pretty quick. One thing I din't like was the contacts didn't pick up my profile from my Tablet despite both being synced to the cloud.

Despite having a Nexus 7 it amazs me how much android has come from on the phone side after using a gingerbread device for the longest time.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 28, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
Apple doesn't have interference from the carriers because it's in their contract that the carriers can't pull that bullshit. That's why the iPhone was AT&T exclusive for a long time, because Verizon refused to accept those terms, probably singlehandedly saving AT&T from bankruptcy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »
That and the marketing, right?. I remember something about the bigger companies wanting to control things like ads and branding on the phone before Cingular Wireless (remember those guys?) landed the deal shortly before getting bought by AT&T
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 29, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
From the makers of the Samsung Galaxy S 4 and Galaxy S4 mini comes............

[size=78%][url=http://androidandme.com/2013/04/smartphones-2/samsung-to-release-rugged-galaxy-s-4-active-this-july/]http://androidandme.com/2013/04/smartphones-2/samsung-to-release-rugged-galaxy-s-4-active-this-july/]The Samsung Galaxy S 4 Rugged

Looks to be the same as the normal S 4 just dust and water proof.

Going to be ordering the Nexus 4 wireless charging unit sometime next month.

I like the new Google Play but it for what it gains design wise it loses some functionality.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 29, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
Apple doesn't have interference from the carriers because it's in their contract that the carriers can't pull that bullshit. That's why the iPhone was AT&T exclusive for a long time, because Verizon refused to accept those terms, probably singlehandedly saving AT&T from bankruptcy.

It was likely an exclusivity clause that Apple demanded to be put into place. O2 UK had an exclusive hold on the iPhone, then shortly after that expired all 5 networks got it.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 01, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
The Samsung Galaxy S for only comes with 9GBs of memeory due to Samsung's Skin being so bloated.

http://www.androidcentral.com/mail-bag-why-does-my-16gb-galaxy-s4-only-have-88gb-space

Also apparently there's a Nexus 4 LTE in the works which kind of pisses e off since th current 4 supports the T-mo LTE bands but google won't update the phone to use the feature.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 01, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
It's a Nexus phone. If the phone can support LTE, it will happen one way or the other.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
here is that famous commercial from microsoft, ironic i'm the one posting it, the iphone was my main target when i was trolling the Apple Thread

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 02, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

I would rather

That would explain why so many Android phones run outdated software.

I would rather have a phone with the latest software updates (iPhone, Nexus phone, Windows Phone).
eh i am still running gingerbread on the ZTE Avail... As long as if i am stuck i'm stuck on a OS that is still relevant i am fine... but i am in the market for something new...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #437 on: May 02, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
For those wondering, this is the most recent public breakdown of Android (as of March 5):

Gingerbread: 44.2% (44% for 2.3.3.-2.3.7, 0.2% for 2.3-2.3.2)
Ice Cream Sandwich: 28.6%
Jelly Bean: 16.5% (14.9% for 4.1, 1.6% for 4.2)
Froyo: 7.6%
Eclair: 1.9%
Honeycomb: 1.2% (0.9% for 3.2, 0.3% for 3.1)
Donut: 0.2%
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 02, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
For those wondering, this is the most recent public breakdown of Android (as of March 5):

Gingerbread: 44.2% (44% for 2.3.3.-2.3.7, 0.2% for 2.3-2.3.2)
Ice Cream Sandwich: 28.6%
Jelly Bean: 16.5% (14.9% for 4.1, 1.6% for 4.2)
Froyo: 7.6%
Eclair: 1.9%
Honeycomb: 1.2% (0.9% for 3.2, 0.3% for 3.1)
Donut: 0.2%
darn gingerbread isn't at 47%
WHY WOULD YOU STILL BE ON DONUT!??!?!!?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
Jelly Bean will take the lead shortly (or at least top ICS) with the GS4 global release...probably.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 03, 2013, 01:47:22 AM »
Why would there be more people using the second iteration of an OS than the 3rd version of the OS?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
BREAKING NEWS! The Nook is finally getting Google Play!
« Reply #441 on: May 03, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
In a completely unexpected move, Barnes & Noble is opening up the Nook to Google's apps and services. Starting today, a software update will be released that will add the Google Play store, along with the typical suite of Google apps (Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, etc.) to the Nook HD and Nook HD+.

This is AMAZING news! Adding Google Play is something consumers have been asking for since the device was released, and this move finally makes the Nook a more viable competitor to the Kindle Fire. I'll definitely be buying a Nook HD now.

I just wish they'd match Amazon's storage and pricing. Drop the 8 GB Nook (cause who uses 8 GB tablets anyways?), and have the 16 GB model at $200, and a 32 GB model at $230. (Talking about the 7" models)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
Cool for those who want and have a nook tablet.

So what is everyone expecting to come out of i/o 13? im guessing

Google Now for Chrome
nexus 4/7/10 refresh
nexus q back with Google TV
glass consumer details
android key lime pie
Google Music subscriptions
Google Play newspaper support
Android game center
Google Currents as a reader replacment
hopefully redesigns for all the Google Play web stuff.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:43:01 PM by shingi_70 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
In a completely unexpected move, Barnes & Noble is opening up the Nook to Google's apps and services. Starting today, a software update will be released that will add the Google Play store, along with the typical suite of Google apps (Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, etc.) to the Nook HD and Nook HD+.

This is AMAZING news! Adding Google Play is something consumers have been asking for since the device was released, and this move finally makes the Nook a more viable competitor to the Kindle Fire. I'll definitely be buying a Nook HD now.

I just wish they'd match Amazon's storage and pricing. Drop the 8 GB Nook (cause who uses 8 GB tablets anyways?), and have the 16 GB model at $200, and a 32 GB model at $230. (Talking about the 7" models)
the nook tablets do have SD cards...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 04, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
Why would there be more people using the second iteration of an OS than the 3rd version of the OS?

A pretty significant portion of the Android user base are on phones that aren't really smartphones, and don't get updates, so their phone shipped with that version and that's what they have until they get a new phone.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #445 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
That would explain why anybody still has Donut considering its 3 1/2 years old.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 04, 2013, 12:52:02 AM »
That would explain why anybody still has Donut considering its 3 1/2 years old.

I would assume that person just has an old phone. Gingerbread has the XP effect where so many phones still had it due to Honeycomb being Tablet only.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 04, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

True, but you can't store apps on SD cards. Google blocked it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 04, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
Ok why are so many tablet manufacturers making cheap low-end tablets? Google set the bar high with the Nexus 7 (in terms of hardware and price), and no other company has managed to beat it.

It seems these companies are content with giving us substandard hardware. If the PC industry was like this, we'd still be running Intel Pentium processors and 512 MB of RAM.

There is no sense of progress in the Android tablet market; it's all a "race to the bottom". Conversely, the PC and smartphone markets are constantly evolving and innovating. The only companies that seem to care about quality tablets are Apple, Amazon (Kindle Fire HD), and Google (Nexus brand). Where's the high standard of quality from the other tablet manufacturers?

Case in point: The Galaxy Tab 3 uses the same specs and screen as the 2 year old Galaxy Tab 2. The HP Slate 7 has similar low-end specs as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:40:19 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 04, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »

True, but you can't store apps on SD cards. Google blocked it.
But you can store everything else in there, there's a reason i refuse to buy a phone without an SD card, it's because I happen to have alot of everything else.

Besides, if i'm not mistaken it is still a Barnes and Noble device...