Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317895 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #375 on: April 08, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
It's not an upgrade, it's not a downgrade, it's just a sidegrade.

New and better features by definition makes it a upgrade.

Even if it comes out in June, nope im not getting it. I honestly see no point in ever getting a iPhone, I love the features it has but is overpriced (like everything Apple makes).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 08, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »

Right, which is why I call it a sidegrade.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »

Even if it comes out in June, nope im not getting it. I honestly see no point in ever getting a iPhone, I love the features it has but is overpriced (like everything Apple makes).

If by overpriced you mean about the same price as any worthwhile Android phone, then yes, it's overpriced.

That is just total bullshit. Every new model of the iPhone includes new and better functionality.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
Apple products are almost always more costly than competition's feature-equal products.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »
I'm not disputing that, I'm merely pointing out that the iPhone is one area in which that isn't true.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
If by overpriced you mean about the same price as any worthwhile Android phone, then yes, it's overpriced.
That is just total bullshit. Every new model of the iPhone includes new and better functionality.

Nexus 4 16GB unlocked with no contract = $349. Galaxy S 3 16GB with no contract = $549. iPhone 5 16GB unlocked with no contract = $649. I'd hardly call that "about the same price."

What does the iPhone 4S do that the iPhone 4 doesn't do? Siri is a technicality, since even the iPhone 3G had Siri before it was removed from the App Store the same day the iPhone 4S was announced.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:36:12 PM by Brandogg »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2013, 05:38:22 PM »
The S models are usually less of an upgrade in terms of features, but offer bumps in processor/RAM and other things like that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »
I feel like the iphone doesn't know what to do with itself. A slightly larger screen and a spec bump is considered an upgrade.

I am intrigued by the upcoming apple wristband since it's something I've dreamt about having damn near 5 years ago. Nothing worse than taking out your phone to check a notification only to find out its extremely unimportant. Get it done apple and I might switch from android.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
What exactly are they supposed to do in terms of hardware features, though? Most of the innovation in iOS comes from software updates.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 08, 2013, 06:29:51 PM »
That's exactly the type of thinking Steve Jobs hated..
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 09, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
That's exactly the type of thinking Steve Jobs hated..
But its true Hardware only takes you so far. Its the reason why the iphon reigned king for so long. Android just got to a place where its software was good at ICS.

But its hard to imagne what can exactly be done on either front for phones that won't be extremely iterative. At this point it seems like were just going to see a massive transition too everything eventually running the same OS. 
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 09, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
I just got a Nexus 4. And I love it! I'm typing this post on it right now! Initially, I appreciate that Android is a more computer-like OS than iOS. I can download all sorts of crazy **** from wherever I want. I don't have to get all my content from some almighty app store. It's liberating. Besides that, they seem mostly the same to me. Although this phone has a much bigger screen than the iPhone. And it cost way less. But yeah, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #387 on: April 10, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »
I just got a Nexus 4. And I love it! I'm typing this post on it right now! Initially, I appreciate that Android is a more computer-like OS than iOS. I can download all sorts of crazy **** from wherever I want. I don't have to get all my content from some almighty app store. It's liberating. Besides that, they seem mostly the same to me. Although this phone has a much bigger screen than the iPhone. And it cost way less. But yeah, I'm pleased with my purchase.
Welcome to the Nexus playground! I've been enjoying my Nexus 4 since December. Such a great phone.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 17, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »
So Google's Nexus 4 lowered the barrier of entry for smartphones, yet we still see overpriced $500 phones. Where is the logic in having phones that are more expensive than tablets (which have bigger screens and more powerful hardware)?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2013, 02:51:46 PM »
Nexus phones have always been that cheap. Except on Sprint and Verizon.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 17, 2013, 02:59:37 PM »
Like I said, where is the logic in having phones that are more expensive than tablets, which have bigger screens and more powerful hardware?

Smartphones are overpriced; I'm glad Google is trying to change that with their Nexus devices.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 18, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
So I've been reading on a lot of comments that people want Nokia to drop Windows Phone for Android or the company will die. However why doesn't anyone point out that Samsung is pretty much the only person making money off of the OS. I mean HTC is considered the #2 android oem but they're always in the headlines for failure and possibly near death.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 18, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
Anyone else here sick of ever-larger Android phones? I'm perfectly happy with a 4-inch screen, which is one reason why I'm not at all excited to upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S to the latest and greatest and SUV-sized phones. I've actually decided to try and wait it out for Android 5.0 to hit (I'm still on 2.2!!!), but I really hope that there's a good 4-inch screen phone that supports it. I was considering the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G since that's similar in size to what I already have, but at more than $300 for a product that won't be Android 5.0 capable from what I hear, I think I'm better off trying to squeeze an extra 9 months out of my last-last-LAST-gen Samsung Galaxy S/Vibrant before splurging.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 18, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
I feel like the SIII was the perfect screen size.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2013, 01:52:34 AM »
Anyone else here sick of ever-larger Android phones? I'm perfectly happy with a 4-inch screen, which is one reason why I'm not at all excited to upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S to the latest and greatest and SUV-sized phones. I've actually decided to try and wait it out for Android 5.0 to hit (I'm still on 2.2!!!), but I really hope that there's a good 4-inch screen phone that supports it. I was considering the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G since that's similar in size to what I already have, but at more than $300 for a product that won't be Android 5.0 capable from what I hear, I think I'm better off trying to squeeze an extra 9 months out of my last-last-LAST-gen Samsung Galaxy S/Vibrant before splurging.

Yep I just want a good well speced  3.8 to 4.0 inch phones.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »
As someone with hands larger than the average, I'm still loving my Note 2 (5.5"). My main problem with the 5.8 and 6.3 are the specs being terrible.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »

All smartphones are overpriced, especially when compared to larger tablets that have bigger screens and more powerful hardware (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Nook HD, etc.).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »
All of those devices are likely sold at a loss or a very small profit margin though (at least when they are brand new), and they aren't any more powerful than current phones (and don't have cellular radios, front and read cameras, CDMA licensing fees, etc). Amazon uses their own app store exclusively, and so does Barnes and Noble. Each developer has to pay them $25 a year to be listed, and they also get a cut of the app (and obviously book) sales.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
Well then why can't all smartphones be sold unsubsidized at/near cost like the Nexus 4? It would get them into the hands of more people. Google and Nokia are pushing for cheaper smartphones, yet we still get expensive crap like the Galaxy S4, HTC One, iPhone 5, etc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:49:55 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »
Well then why can't all smartphones be sold unsubsidized  at/near cost like the Nexus 4? It would get them into the hands of more people.

Where is the Nexus 4 sold unsubsidized? I know Google itself only sells the subsidized ones. The only real advantage of unsubsidized is getting to pick which carrier you want to use.

And FYI, you can also buy the iPhone unsubisidized.