Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317933 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Well the Honeycomb UI failed to gain any traction and you really want to get rid of allt he confusing chrome

That and the Android team wants it to become the new webos style wise.

Google's biggest problem with the honeycomb UI was that there really wasn't any UI elements that told the common on looker that this was an android product. By having a similar experience bewteen everything it only helps the average consumer and the nexus brand.

Look at the other major ecosystems as well

Apple

Microsoft

The biggest things to take away from this is that Google is shifting the brand from a developer device to a more consumer facing brand to push their ecosystem. The new nexi have neither removable storage or battery which you may like or dislike.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »
Dat Nexus 10... <3

I have to wonder why the Galaxy Tab devices (7-inch and 10-inch) have such low-res screens (referring to the PPI), yet this new Nexus 10 has a crystal-clear screen. Why doesn't Samsung put those high-res screens in their other tablets?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:48:29 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:06 AM »
Well the Honeycomb UI failed to gain any traction and you really want to get rid of allt he confusing chrome
I'm not talking about Honeycomb, I'm talking about Ice Cream Sandwich/Jellybean. The chrome was all the same, but the elements moved around to make more sense on the different form factors.
To be clear:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:20:26 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
Matias Durate the android user experience director posted on Google+ about why they got rid of the honeycomb ui style.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/114892667463719782631/posts/JAAMUzx1PFX

This new configuration is based on usability research we did on all of the different form factors and screen sizes that Android runs on. What mattered most of all was muscle memory -- keeping the buttons where you expect them, no matter how you hold the device.

Phones are almost always used in portrait mode, flip sideways occasionally, and never go upside down. As screen sizes get larger, though, any which way goes. Imagine the frustration you’d feel if every time you picked up a tablet off the table "the wrong way up" you found yourself reaching for a home button that wasn’t where you expect it to be? That irritation adds up and over time like a tiny grain of sand in your shoe and undermines the rest of your experience.

The Jelly Bean system bar always keeps the same three buttons where you expect them. This happens dynamically for every screen size, up until you get to small handheld screens where stacking the bars in landscape mode would leave too little vertical space.

Also I think i'm in love with the Nexus 10.

The OS even Multi-tasks like Webos did.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »
Funny that about how they are oriented. I installed ultimate rotation control (on my nexus 7) so i can use it how i like.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
Google needs to stop giving Samsung so much publicity. There are other manufacturers that deserve the spotlight too. ASUS should have made the Nexus 10.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Are they? I do believe LG is manufacturing the Nexus 4 this time around, so your statement doesn't make too much sense. If anything, Google is spotlighting all three manufacturers this time - LG, Samsung, and ASUS.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
Just bought the International version of the Galaxy Note II (N7100) 16gb in White. I'll post my thoughts when it gets here. But I'm excited.

I looked at accessories, but they are few and far between. Some of them like the Bluetooth S Pen don't even exist supposedly despite them being handed out to the press. I really wish it did because it looks dope. You can use it as a headset as well as a pen, so I don't have to whip my phone out for a phone call which is awesome.

There are not many decent cases out there. The Official Samsung case doesn't protect the damn sides of the phone so it's worthless. Other cases do not include a cover which needs to happen for the overall protection and aesthetics of the phone. So the only ones I'm looking at are from overseas, one in the UK and one in France.

The UK one is dope, but it's expensive for what it is.

The French one is even nicer and it shows in the price, but at least the price fits the product.

Then there is the media hub. I was thinking about getting it, but decided against it since I already have an MHL to HDMI cable (the fact that you have to plug in the converter is still retarded). Thought about getting a dock but again, decided against it because I never want to take it out of the case ever, for any situation.

Lastly there is the extended warranty. Several places offer warranty after purchase but the best one is Negri's. They allow you to buy it after 60 days of owning the phone and replace your phone for any situation, even if it's STOLEN OR LOST. That's incredible. The deductible for a phone like mine is $80, but that's way better than buying a new one. Still haven't bought it yet because I want to see if it'll work buttercream with ATT or if it's defective out the box. It should be fine, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:44:28 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
The Note II seems like a good phone. Its just two two big for my tastes.  I think 4.8 inches is pushing it so once you hit 5 I think your better off getting a 7 inch tablet.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
Yea, but that's what I like about it. Its size means I can literally multitask. For example, I can watch a show while writing a post; something I'm doing at this very moment. Also it's perfect for watching a movie, unlike anything on the iphone or even my sgs2 can offer.

Second, I can draw all over it. The feature I'm looking forward to is the ability to write all over the back of a photo. There are so many situations where I would do that. Whether it's jotting down the name of the songs from the band I'm currently watching or having a girl write her number on the back of her own photo, there are so many awesome and hilarious things I could do with it to keep track of time and info.

And lastly, it just looks professional. Grabbing it from the inside of my blazer pocket and opening the case looks, in a word, classy.

But that's a double edge sword and is the one factor pre-hands-on that worries me. The only thing that would make the phone better is if I rarely had to take it out. For instance, I've gotten pretty damn good at guessing the time. I always know what time it is roughly, but when I need to know the exact time I pull out my pocket watch.

With a phone it's different, especially a smart phone. You get contacted a hundred times a day from everything from email to facebook. **** honestly sucks and was one of the reasons I almost went back to a dumbphone aka the jack bower phone specifically (the fucking thing was indestructible, and the only reason I'm not using it today is because it died to save my life, but that's a story for another day). And it's not like you can avoid those notifications either. For every ten shitty facebook messages you get, you get that one important email; so you have to check every time. Now until Google can figure out if my notifications are important, that is my life - constantly checking my damn phone. I've tried to go on vacation from it. I once went two weeks without a phone and while it was awesome for me, I was never given so much **** before. People thought I died or that I was an asshole for not getting back to them or blah blah blah you get the point. Hell, I even had people come over to my house randomly as if they were my neighbors and we were eight.

So what I need is something I can glance at a hundred times a day, a "Phone Companion" if you will, preferably on my wrist. Now I've done the research and all those smart watches suck. None of them can do the Dick Tracy walkie talkie thing and they're asking us to pay upwards of $300 for something a toy could do 50 years ago.

If I were to make it, it would have a super widescreen touch display about 2-3" in length, be detachable from my wrist, and could take phone calls, notify me and write texts and emails. Something that I could rip off my wrist and double tap a text or take a phone call and then place it back on my wrist when I'm done. That way I would only bring out my phone for things more substantial than contacting people.

Then I could have the best of both worlds; a phone that I could truly do damn near everything with that fits neatly in my jacket or in my slacks and still check the bullshit.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:18:02 PM by Stogi »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
Are they? I do believe LG is manufacturing the Nexus 4 this time around, so your statement doesn't make too much sense. If anything, Google is spotlighting all three manufacturers this time - LG, Samsung, and ASUS.

But Google had Samsung make the old Galaxy Nexus phones, and now they're making the Nexus 10 tablet. My point is, give Samsung a break and pass the torch to another manufacturer. ASUS and LG are good choices, but what about HTC, Toshiba, Sony, etc.?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
If Samsung is more willing to make sure their devices are up to date with Android, that is a possible reason. They are also far more known to the average person than Asus (and LG to an extent). Sony is also slow to support Android.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2012, 04:34:37 AM »
HTC are becoming increasingly slow too. The HTC One series was announced in the summer to be getting Jelly Bean "shortly". Then that became "autumn" (or fall), then "october". All three dates have passed and they haven't said anything. All it takes to placate people is someone to say "sorry but it's still being worked on".

Since then i've jumped from ICS to Jelly Bean 4.1 to 4.1.1 to 4.1.2, and 4.2 hits in a few weeks.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
Reviews for the Nexus 4 and 10 are out today.

Nexus 4

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review/

PROS
Beautiful and vibrant 720p display
 Very affordable price
Pentaband HSPA+
Android 4.2 delivers new features

CONS
Poor battery life
Doesn't support LTE

BOTTOMLINE

It may not be the best phone on the planet, but its high-end specs, elegant build and incredibly affordable price make it worth throwing your money at.

The idea that a Nexus quad-core smartphone is hitting the market with a starting price one dollar shy of $300 is simply stunning. Even more so is that it's available without any contract or carrier locks, which means you can use it virtually anywhere in the world. Adding yet another layer of amazement is the fact that this particular device will always be among the first (if not the first) to get the latest version of Android for the foreseeable future. What once was a smartphone series designed for developers has been decked out with top-notch features and priced so attractively that consumers will take notice of it; there's nothing comparable that comes close to it in that price range. This is a smartphone that we'd normally expect to be much more expensive unlocked, but Google set a precedent by lowering the cost of the Galaxy Nexus, keeping the Nexus 7 at $200 and is now continuing the trend with the Nexus 4. The price of freedom has never been more reasonable.

Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it's even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it's trying to fill. In a case like this... you have our permission not to resist.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3589280/google-nexus-4-review

GOOD STUFF
 Improved build quality
Android 4.2 is fantastic
Excellent price for a device of this caliber

BAD STUFF
Lacks LTE
Screen a bit washed out
Glass backing breaks easily

The Nexus 4 is absolutely wonderful, but it's also vexing. Frustrating. Annoying. It's easily the best Android phone on the market right now, and has some of the most powerful software that's ever been put on a mobile phone. It's an upgrade from last year's Galaxy Nexus in every way. It's terrific — save for one small thing.

In the US, a flagship phone without LTE is like a muscle car with no wheels. For other networks in other countries, and for the lucky T-Mobile customers out there that are getting great speeds on its HSPA+ network — great. No problem. Go get this phone. But for others — many others — it's hard to imagine buying this device when you know it's a generation behind in terms of network technology.

A little over a year ago, I bristled at the fact that the iPhone 4S didn't have LTE, but I also admitted that the phone was a still a "force to be reckoned with." The same can be said for the Nexus 4, with a caveat. The mobile industry has changed a lot in the last 12 months. LTE is the norm, not a nice-to-have, and its performance has shown the cracks in the aging GSM networks of the US. No flagship device is released without it. Not even the iPhone.

For a phone and an OS built for the cloud, I think it's unacceptable to not offer a version that takes advantage of our fastest mobile networks.

If you buy the Nexus 4, you have to decide whether you're willing to compromise data speeds for the purest and best form of the Android OS. After comparing the options and seeing the gulf between Google's flagship and other devices on the market, I've decided it's a compromise I won't be making again.

Nexus 10

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-10-review/?m=false

PROS
Incredibly high-res display
Front-facing stereo speakers
Latest and greatest Android build
Great gaming performance

CONS
Middling
overall speed and battery life
Display lacks contrast

The Nexus 7 impressed us on nearly every front. What few flaws there were we more than forgave thanks to its bargain-basement price. At $400 to $500, the Nexus 10 is actually on par with many other 10-inch Android competitors -- even a little more expensive than some -- and, with average performance in most areas and sub-par battery life, it's relying on that incredibly high resolution and fresh Android build to set it apart. Sadly, neither is enough to distance this tablet from the competition.

The resolution is indeed quite nice but in many ways, the Super IPS+ panel on the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 is even nicer, and other than that new keyboard there's nothing much in Android 4.2 to get excited about right now. Of course, the true beauty of the Nexus line is that when 4.3 rolls around this slate will be the first to get it, and that is certainly worth something. But is it worth enough to make up for this tablet's other shortcomings?

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3589170/google-nexus-10-review

GOOD STUFF
Fantastic display
Fast, smooth performance
Great battery life
Good speakers for a tablet

BAD STUFF
App ecosystem woefully lacking in tablet apps
High-res screen clashes with some low-res Android graphics Materials not as good as Nexus 7

The Nexus 10 feels like Google's open letter to developers. "Look how great Android tablets can be," the company seems to be saying, "if only you'd make great apps!" The Nexus 10's display is every bit the Retina's equal, the build quality is excellent, and it even has a half-decent set of speakers. Android 4.2 is more stable than ever, and Android does a lot of great things iOS simply doesn't. But you take it out of the box, say it's beautiful and fast... then what? Apple's tablet has 250,000-plus other apps that look and work great on a huge, high-res screen, and Android's ecosystem is leagues behind. The Nexus 10 is a great way to watch movies, but there's absolutely no way it's going to replace your laptop the way the iPad could.

Yes, the Nexus 10 wins on price —$399 for this incredible display is a nice deal. But consider the extra $100 you'll spend to get the iPad an entry fee to the App Store, and its many apps and accessories that just aren't available to the Nexus 10.

Google's now proven conclusively that it can design great Android hardware, but until developers prove they can design great Android software it's still hard to recommend the Nexus 10 over an iPad.

So tendoboy are you getting a nexus 10?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
Bottom line - for $100 you could downgrade to an iPad.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
What is with having the back/menu/home buttons on the screen. Its a hinderance more then anything

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
What is with having the back/menu/home buttons on the screen. Its a hinderance more then anything

Consistency. pre ICS the majority of the button placement was done by the oems and that sometimes led to confusion uncomfortable button placments. Compare that to ios and windows phone which have the same type of layout and button functions for every device.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:10 PM »
I'm definitely considering getting a Nexus 7, but the lack of tablet-optimized apps is a real downer. I'm sure Google is doing everything they can to remedy the situation, but it's something that needed to be fixed years ago.

Apple has no problems convincing developers to make iPad-optimized apps, so why is Google having so much trouble? Android is the market leading OS for mobile devices, so it should be getting more support, right?

The Nexus 7's $200 price point is really enticing, and I've always wanted to try out Android without spending money on a smartphone data plan. The Nexus brand offers a true Android experience without the 3rd-party bloatware and manufacturer customization.

On the other hand, Kindle Fire has a better ecosystem for media content (books, movies, etc.), but the severe lack of Kindle apps kills it for me.

And I really, really hope Google makes a GarageBand-style music creation app for Android. It's the main reason why I still have my iPod Touch.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2012, 10:33:11 PM »

Consistency. pre ICS the majority of the button placement was done by the oems and that sometimes led to confusion uncomfortable button placments. Compare that to ios and windows phone which have the same type of layout and button functions for every device.

If you have dealt with a pos phone as long as i have that is not a valid excuse. I like those buttons to be physical,particularly the home button. And if they are on the touchscreen why shouldn't we be able to customize them. Google should have set a standard instead of just taking up the touchscreen

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
And thats why i want a decent qwerty smartphone

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »
Ordered a Nexus 10 yesterday. Hopefully this beast gets here soon.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:12 AM »
After the long wait I finally got my international Galaxy Note 2. I've only had it for a couple days but I really like it. I honestly didn't think I'd like the stylus that much, but I use it all the time, even for mundane tasks like checking my email. I am very impressed by how well it works. First thing I tried was my signature.

Do you notice how the lines are thicker in some parts? That's because I naturally place pressure there. I was very surprised it was able to capture that. I think it looks way better than anything I put on paper!

I'm not ready to review it just yet. I need more time with it, plus I'm waiting on the case for it. But I will tell you this, it's the fastest touchscreen anything that I've ever used, and that's with all my dumbass apps and games that transferred from my previous phone.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:17:48 AM by Stogi »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
Damn, you have a nice signature. My looks like ****.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
Does the Note 2 run Jelly Bean or is it still on Ice Cream Sandwich?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2012, 02:49:54 AM »
I bumped my Nexus 7 to 4.2. Daydream mode is pretty good, although the "random pictures" setting will cause mischief depending on how naughty you are with the devices you own (and don't maintain!).