Author Topic: AOL Ladders To Reach GameCube  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
AOL Ladders To Reach GameCube
« on: December 10, 2003, 06:21:31 AM »
Is this a hint of more online games in 2004?

According to a story by Reuters news agency, AOL's new online gaming "ladder" service will be serving GameCube users next year.  The service is currently launching for the PS2 and is available free to AOL subscribers, or for about twenty bucks per month for everyone else.

AOL Ladders is based on the Case's Ladder service, which allows online players to find opponents, play each other, and then report the results of the game to a ranking server.  The results are used to keep global rankings, so the best players will be recognized.  In some services, the top players can even receive prizes.  Ladder rankings have been used in online PC gaming and Xbox Live for years, while console games have sometimes replicated the concept through passwords that can be entered on a special website.  Ikaruga for GameCube had just such a feature.

What's unusual about this announcement is the plan to support GameCube in 2004.  Currently, the only GameCube title with confirmed online play is Phantasy Star Online III, which is not conducive to ladder rankings anyway.  So, considering recent deals and plans for cooperation between Nintendo and AOL, this announcement could indicate that there are unannounced online titles being planned for GameCube in the coming year.

Thanks to nintendofan for the tip!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline seven_chaos

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:AOL Ladders To Reach GameCube
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 06:41:36 AM »
when u think about this.  nintendo and aol teaming up doesn't sound right.  nintendo wanted online gaming to be completely free and if they go with aol a lot of us that dont use them will have to pay 20 bucks a month.  thats retarted.  so perhaps they might have something up their sleeve but i dont think this will happen.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music..." - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo

Offline BoboThePenguin

• Penguin gang ringleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 09:50:54 AM »
I hate aol.
_Bobo The Penguin

I defenestrated a clock to see if time really does fly!

Currently Playing: Mario and Luigi-Superstar Saga, Sword of Mana, 1080 Avalanche, Fire Emblem, CounterStrike(pc).
"If you are what you eat, you my freind are a cannibal!"-Bobo

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: AOL Ladders To Reach GameCube
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 11:25:32 AM »
have you seen the new aol commercial with jerry stiller and snoop dogg?  i nearly peed my pants the first time i saw it.  but i agree, i'm not too fond of aol.  their user interface is pretty decent, and they're good for people like my mom who aren't super proficient with computers, but there are much better (and cheaper) services out there.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 12:31:15 PM »
Don't get confused. The big clue here was "GameCube" and "online" in the same sentence in PGC's story, but the actual news piece is about AOL's Ladder service.

This Ladder thing is an AOL service with AOL pricing. It's not a GameCube or PS2 service. You're not required to join or use AOL for PS2 online. You're not required to sign up for the Ladder service. And neither will be required for GameCube either. It's simply an add-on if you want it.

So don't get bent out of shape over AOL or the cost... unless you REALLY, REALLY wanted a free AOL-based Ladder service or something. Otherwise, there's no reason why anyone should care.
"wow."

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 03:45:22 PM »
Did you read the article? Why would anyone bother to bring this service to a system with only one online game now? I think more online games are coming.  

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 06:47:23 PM »
Yes, and remember that you can't really even do ladder rankings with PSO.  This service is designed for games that match up players directly, like many of the online titles for PS2.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!