Author Topic: Atari to drop nearly all of its retail games.  (Read 8408 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Atari to drop nearly all of its retail games.
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
I wouldn't use Nintendo as a shining example here.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »
Solid state is definitely the way things are going.  Broadband is pretty "slow" now, but what's slow now will be blazing in five, ten years.  I also don't think that a lot of companies are trying to optimize the digital download arena either, since most of them can still hedge their bets with retail.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »
I don't think going digital will completely kill the retail game market, due to the demgraphics. Download has killed most of the PC software market, but there are still certain applications that people purchase at the store. Nintendo has aged the overall market which means a greater portion of these new older gamers prefer to buy games brick and mortar, plus little kids still go to the store to get games. Ten years from now, it will be another story. Gamestops will change or die or get bought out, just like they swallowed up Babbages and Software ETC, who used to sell as much retail software as they did games.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »
I also don't think that a lot of companies are trying to optimize the digital download arena either, since most of them can still hedge their bets with retail.

I disagree with that, digital distribution allows companies to cut their expenses that they have to pay for retail to stock their product. So that means console maker makes more money, game publisher makes more money it's a win/win for them. Publishers won't have to worry about distribution channels. Or to sum it up nicely less overhead and more profit.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
I'm saying that they can still make money in retail, therefore they aren't putting all their efforts into setting up really good digital distribution because they don't have to rely on it 100%.  If a company only sold their games online, you can bet that their digital distribution setup would be pretty slick.  It would have to be.

Retail won't completely go away for a long time, because there's a lot of people out there that simply can't afford broadband internet (or internet at all, for that matter).  But once it becomes as ubiquitous as cable TV, watch out.  That's when retail distribution may become nearly extinct.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 09:06:39 PM »
Here's a thought:  how does the Used Game market influence retail vs. digital distro?

Digital distro won't let people get cash/credit back for all their last-generation junk.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 01:37:50 AM »
Good point there. What I wonder is if it really is cheaper to go digital, I mean sure there is no shipping or manufacturing cost, but there are server and bandwidth costs and you'd think those would be higher than the cost of going retail.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 01:43:56 AM »
OK, what about letting people download games they've already bought at retail for greatly discounted prices, by sending in the proof of purchase or something. Win-win.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 01:57:50 AM »
Bill's got the best point here.

I have NES games and an NES that still work perfectly to this day.  23 years after the fact.

Can I trust MS, Sony, or even Nintendo, to still even be in the games business, much less have a game be on their servers, after 23 years?  I think not.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 02:48:29 AM »
there are server and bandwidth costs and you'd think those would be higher than the cost of going retail.

naah.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »
Can I trust MS, Sony, or even Nintendo, to still even be in the games business, much less have a game be on their servers, after 23 years?  I think not.

Agreed, but somebody will own the rights to those games, and they'll put them up somewhere to make money off of them.  Look at Steam's id Super Pack.  Some of those games are 18 years old, but there they are, available for download.  Granted you have to pay for them, but they're available.  And then there's also the Virtual Console...some of those games are 20+ years old as well.

As "retro gaming" has risen in popularity, companies have finally realized the value of their back catalogs.  I don't think games will fade away like they have in the past.  They'll either be re-released or repackaged, because the market has shown that there's a demand there.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »
Yeah, I can get games from id Software but they're still in business, where could I buy Descent or Wizball?

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
If somebody's smart, they'll buy the rights to those games and put them up somewhere.  As digital distribution matures, I'm sure we'll see that.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »
That depends on whether it's even discernible who owns the rights.  With all the mergers, acquisitions, and bankruptcies, details like that can get very muddy.