Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 Review  (Read 95601 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Mario Kart 8 Review
« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
Curious that *no* one has ranked the arcade games.  Has no one played them, or does everyone who's played them just not consider them to be part of the series?

1. Wii
2. 7
3. DD
4. DS
5. 64
6. Arcade
7. SMK
8. SS

DD ranks high for me because it's still the most unique version of the series.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Dorky Stuff Site

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
No Interest in Mario Kart 8
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
To me Mario Kart 8 just looks like a fresh graphical coat of paint from Mario Kart Wii.
Barely anything new, but the Nintendo hype machine never stops.

I wrote an entire article about my thoughts here: http://www.dorkystuff.com/?p=38

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2014, 12:49:18 AM »
To me Mario Kart 8 just looks like a fresh graphical coat of paint from Mario Kart Wii.
Barely anything new, but the Nintendo hype machine never stops.

Hmmmm. Words to consider. All the reviews here were very enthusiastic and maybe too positive. Interesting to consider that hype may be clouding the judgement of people.

However, when I click on the link you quoted as shown here:

I wrote an entire article about my thoughts here: http://www.dorkystuff.com/?p=38

It doesn't take me to your site. You may want to edit the link you have in your post to ensure it goes to the proper channel.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Neifirst

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »
Well, after spending 6+ hours with online races, both randoms and tournaments, a 7.5 score is absolutely insane.  Especially in light of a 10 for an interminable cakewalk like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Well, after spending 6+ hours with online races, both randoms and tournaments, a 7.5 score is absolutely insane.  Especially in light of a 10 for an interminable cakewalk like Kirby's Epic Yarn.
Well, after spending 6+ hours with online AND offline races, both with randoms and tournaments, a 7.5 score is absolutely justified. Especially in light of a 10 for an incredible gameplay mechanic infused and graphically endearing experience like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Seriously. Mario Kart 8 is GRAND. It is so buttery smooth, that I can't really express in words how much of a joy this game is to play. Does it bring anything drastically new to the table, though? Nope. The zero-G/anti-gravity stuff is really brilliant, however. Racing along and then having to tilt my head a little to keep up with the action as I go sideways on a wall is a very cool experience. You don't even realise you're doing it, because it just feels natural. And the new U-turn move in battle mode is quite handy. Love that addition.

But is the game an overall polished-to-the-brim, graphically impressive, visually charming experience? Oh, absolutely. 7.5 is an above average score, people. And this is a very above average game. And would I raise Neal's score by .5 if actual Battle Mode arenas were added to the game via DLC? No doubt.

Mario Kart 8. GET IT.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
I like what I've played of this game (2 Retro Grand Prix & 2 new Grand Prix), but wow...this game is light on content. The track designs are excellent, but there are so very...very...few of them. I just feels wrong nowadays putting an hour into a game and knowing you've already seen half the tracks the game has (obligatory mirror mode aside), with the only alternative being a slider (50cc, 100cc, 150cc) increasing the amount of bullshit the AI is going to throw at you.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2014, 02:55:34 AM »
Aren't there the same amount of tracks in Mario Kart 8 as the last few entries in the series, 16 new and 16 retro? Was this a problem before? It would be nice to have some of the Arcade tracks in here just so a bunch of people like myself can experience them with searching high and low for an actual arcade unit. Also, Baby Park because... just because Baby Park.

Anyway, my friend bought this, and I put some time into the game yesterday. It's about what I expected. Also, Battle Mode is indeed mediocre. I wasn't a huge fan of it before, but my goodness, we just need Block Fort back.

On a related note, I also played Mario Kart 64 again recently. I'd totally by an HD version of it, if only so I can be decent at one Mario Kart game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »
Aren't there the same amount of tracks in Mario Kart 8 as the last few entries in the series, 16 new and 16 retro? Was this a problem before?

I think that's part of the problem.  "More of the same" isn't always a good reason to drop $60. ;)

Seriously, though, in the age of DLC, I would have liked to have seen 24-32 brand spankin' new tracks shipped with the game and "retro" courses added through DLC.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
If they do give us retro tracks as DLC I would hope they could also give us the ability to play the tracks in their original game order. Would be fun to relive the tough older cups.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
Aren't there the same amount of tracks in Mario Kart 8 as the last few entries in the series, 16 new and 16 retro? Was this a problem before?

I think that's part of the problem.  "More of the same" isn't always a good reason to drop $60. ;)

Seriously, though, in the age of DLC, I would have liked to have seen 24-32 brand spankin' new tracks shipped with the game and "retro" courses added through DLC.

Agreed. It's true that Mario Kart has used this format for ages, but when you compare it to other racers the amount of content this time just feels anemic (especially with Battle Mode completely neutered).  It's hard in today's market to justify that $60 on a game that you'll essentially see all the content in in 2 hours (especially when half that content is just a remix of tracks I've seen before).  It's pretty much the same issue I'd have if Nintendo made a new Star Fox game just like Star Fox 64. Sure, the content could be awesome, but if I can finish the game in the time it would take me to watch Frozen, that $60 price tag just doesn't make sense anymore.  Since I paid for Mario Kart 8 mostly using credit I'd had sitting on the eShop for months anyway, I don't feel as bad about the paltry amount of content here as I would be if I had paid $60 all at once, but it's still a serious problem with the game.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »

Agreed. It's true that Mario Kart has used this format for ages, but when you compare it to other racers the amount of content this time just feels anemic (especially with Battle Mode completely neutered).  It's hard in today's market to justify that $60 on a game that you'll essentially see all the content in in 2 hours (especially when half that content is just a remix of tracks I've seen before).  It's pretty much the same issue I'd have if Nintendo made a new Star Fox game just like Star Fox 64. Sure, the content could be awesome, but if I can finish the game in the time it would take me to watch Frozen, that $60 price tag just doesn't make sense anymore.  Since I paid for Mario Kart 8 mostly using credit I'd had sitting on the eShop for months anyway, I don't feel as bad about the paltry amount of content here as I would be if I had paid $60 all at once, but it's still a serious problem with the game.
It's really hard to complain when you're getting Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker FREE

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »

Not when you already own them and they're the only worthwhile games available.  :P:

Offline buttle

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »
I think, to call this a 7.5 out of 10, the 10 is what where folks imagine the game should be after all this time.  But that really isn't doing the game or the fanbase any favors.  You can dream big all you want, just don't loose track of reality. 

Right now, I'm going through and beating the staff ghosts one by one.  And each of these tracks are excellently designed, and there is a ton of variety in the karts.  The drifting especially has never been more varied.  And from my play online and in the Grand Prixs, the weapon changes HUGELY effect the game.  I'm using far more strategy with only having 1 weapon.  The track isn't flooded with bananas like other games there aren't just stupid weapons flying everywhere.  There are definitely weapons but it's a GREAT balance.  And I love the coins.

It's easy to forget how amazing this series is or how much variety the series has.  But Mario Kart 8 really does do something different and for me, it makes for a great experience.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »

Not when you already own them and they're the only worthwhile games available.  :P:
I disagree. I own Mario U and Party U and I think they're both great games

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you called NOA support. Explain you already have all of the games in the promotion and maybe you could convince them to give you one of the other options from overseas like W101 or Warioware.
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2014, 07:06:05 PM »
That'd be worth a shot.  Especially if you have all the games registered on Club Nintendo as proof.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Well, additional proof.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2014, 08:05:10 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what would be an appropriate amount of content?

For comparison's sake, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing had 24 tracks (all new since it's the first one). It's sequel, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, had 21 tracks, 17 of which were new (one was DLC). The former has eight more original tracks but eight fewer overall. The latter had a comparative amount of new tracks but added boats and planes with tracks that changed mid-race. Mario Kart 8 seems comparable to that. Of course, Gran Turismo 6 had like 70 tracks, but they're different kinds of racing games so I'm not sure comparisons are especially useful or fair here.

It's difficult for me personally to comment on what justifies $60 worth of content since I haven't purchased a $60 game in some time. I still haven't bought Mario Kart 8 and I suppose when I do, I won't be spending $60 since I have some trade credit. As a point of reference, I played and enjoyed the ever-repetitive **** out of Mario Kart 64, and my mom spent $50 on it (which is almost $74 today). I wouldn't say no to more content because I love value. However, taking into account what we used to get, rising development costs, and comparisons to similar titles, Mario Kart 8 doesn't seem too light on content. We don't know if Nintendo plans on offering DLC in the future (besides that random free Mercedes-Benz kart" in Japan), but they have given DLC away for free and their paid DLC has been fairly substantial.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2014, 11:27:13 PM »
Well, I'm right onboard with Neal's score. I've had the game for three days and I've already unlocked everything and experienced every course (multiple times).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 02, 2014, 05:51:25 AM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »
The .GIFs alone make this game a 9.  Clearly, the review was just premature.

To add on how much content is enough: I don't know.  It feels like we've been getting the same amount of tracks for some time now.  I'd hope for a few more this go around or at least the promise of more via DLC.  Sure, this is entirely possible/plausible nowadays, but the guarantee isn't there right now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
I've beaten 50cc.  I normally beat 50cc then 100cc etc etc.  While the tracks are good I'm not enjoying running through them again.  Honestly most of the time its feels like I'm racing against 1 other kart while the Computer is Neutering my Item drops, I can't tell you how many time I've gotten the Coin and had 10 coins already.

Then there is the whole UI problem.  When your playing Single Player after each cup it dumps you to the initial load screen and I have to go through everything again to go to the next cup.  The load times between tracks feel too long.  The lack of Personal Karts for the characters takes some of the Wimsy away.

Sonic Racing Transformed you didn't run into a lot of those UI problems, except the load times.  They also did a good job of wringing variety out of there track sets with Challenges that would modify the tracks and be different then as straight up race.  I rarely felt as if the Comp was limiting my Item set because I was in the front.

Lot of races I have a good clear lead haven't seen anyone for 2 laps and then all of the suddenly the last lap everyone is there.  I had one where I was literally Blue Shell, Green Shell, Red Shell, Hit by a Banana while in the Air, and Green Shelled to a 6th place finish.

Also why can't I get the Course Map on my Screen be it I'm playing on the Gamepad or the TV.  When I'm on the TV I don't even see my controller unless I look down away from the race.  I would like to still see that information.  With the Gamepad I just don't know.  Makes it feel lonely for most of the race.

I think that the engine could easily make this one of the best Mario Kart if they release sets of 2 Grand Prix (1 New Tracks, 1 Retro Tracks) for about $2.50 per pack, cleaned up the interface, and fixed the clear player limiting.

I have to agree with the 7.5.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what would be an appropriate amount of content?
Generally speaking, I feel that new systems should bring with them bigger, better games, but I understand how difficult that has become with the skyrocketing costs of game development over the past couple decades. In the case of Mario Kart, I would gladly trade the retro tracks in order to have a total of 24-32 new ones in one game.

There are also more features they could add in to get more mileage out of the tracks that do exist. One example would be to allow racing on them in the backwards direction, which would be a far more interesting twist than having mirror yet again (though mirror can stay). The mission mode in the DS game was a great idea and should return and be expanded upon; they could probably even mix that idea with the adventure aspect of Diddy Kong Racing and finally have a decent single player game for once.

There are also some things from past games missing in this one, such as battle arenas, and small things like no mini-map on the screen, and no record-keeping, for some examples.

I've always viewed Mario Kart as a B-level series, and this is a large part why.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
I am very sad that there has been no return of Diddy Kong Racing or an incorporation of elements from it into the Mario Kart franchise. Though, if the U has a typical life-cycle we could be due for a new racer near the end of the cycle and a DKR could really fit the bill. It would also be a great way to incorporate the NFC figures since MK was too far along to include them.
My Game Collection