Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 85664 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 09:39:51 AM »
I wouldn't have loved to see Iwata announce the name at E3 just to see the immediate reaction.  You know, snickering, then confusion, followed by laughing, and then some sobbing.

So yeah, pretty retarded name.

Although I agree with mario, after the original BUH? going through my brain, I though "Well now Revolution seems so boring and uptight."  I don't think any name can please me now =D
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 09:43:01 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH

Wii = Y = WHY THE FOKK #$^$#@%#%&^*(^%@#

Also,

Wii = Dubaya 2.  Proof that NINTENDO STRATEGERY Wiins

Wii = name thingy that breaks all those other startup Rev website names

Wii = !!M = MUTHER F%#^%#$%@%@!#

GameBoy Advance successor to be named "P-Wii" (portable)

www.planetwii.com = www.planetds.com = Planet Dead Systems

Wii = made of fail and internet

Frankly, it's pleasant to look at, but not exactly seamless for use in speaking. "WE games"  "WE controller"  "WE website"  "Nintendo WE"

I agree "WTF" works better.

~~~~~

I think I understand now.  The purpose is to just be a product name/code.  Nintendo wanted to make the name so garbage-off-the-wall, that we'll all resort to saying "Nintendo" again, like how we just drop the "Entertainment System" when we refer to the NES.

~~~~~

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I tend to agree with Hostile Creation.  The name is of no importance.  When you see the graphics, you will say "Wii!"

Edit: This post is lacking in...meaning.  The name is definitely NOT cool, but remember guys, Nintendo is genuinely attempting to attract a totally different crowd than Sony or Microsoft.  That crowd is not going to care if the name sounds cool.  If you think Nintendo's plan is stupid, that's fine, but you have to admit that in the context of that plan, having an uncool sounding name doesn't matter.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Nintendo is definitely catering to the "non-crowd" aka the "non-consumer" aka no one's gonna buy it for sure.

GLAD THIS BOMB WASN'T DROPPED AT GDC
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 09:47:33 AM »
I seriously thought this was a joke until i had checked every single gaming site anywhere.....
Wii....
are you sure this isnt a joint worldwide late april fools joke???? Ive given it a minute to sink in....and nothing....nothing like when i gave the controller a minute to sink in...with that I came to my senses....but....Wii? Seriously someone has to change this NOW before it gets any further.

Tomorrow, Reggie will be at the Nintendo World Store signing autographs. I urge everyone, including myself, in the New York area to hunt him down and ask him....why?...or should i say...Wii?

Ill see you there...

Wii? no...just no....
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 09:48:21 AM »
Actually, if we get something like "Resident Evil Wii" it'll be all worth it.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 09:51:26 AM »
I could see "wii" being more beneficial than "revolution" over time.
"revolution" sounds like too much of a gamer name while "wii" sounds and looks like something Apple would come up with. It's simple, it's to the point, it will attract a wider audience.
It might not be as cool but Nintendo is out to prove that the "cool" factor doesn't have to be the deciding factor.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 09:52:46 AM »
I am always amazed at Nintendo's ability to turn people off of their systems. I knew people who swore off the cube when they saw celda, and I'm sure people will do the same here.

Not that I want Nintendo to stop, mind you. The fact that they continue to make crazy decisions in the face of reason is what I love about them. This is the company that hired Miyamoto for no good reason, other than the fact that he seemed creative. Doing crazy sh*t is their lifeblood, and trying to convince them to stop is like trying to convince Don Quixote that the windmills aren't giants.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:28 AM »
I don't like it on the simple fact it's not fit for casual speaking.

c'mon, it virtually has no consanants.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:44 AM »
I've changed my mind, Wii is the greatest name ever.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 09:58:54 AM »
"Let's play Metroid Prime 3 for Wii"

"For who?"

"Wii"

"Us?"

"No"

"WTF ARE YOU SAYING"

=DDDDDDDDDDD

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2006, 10:06:37 AM »
What do you want to bet Nintendo's name-brains were got tired of thinking and just took the "f" out of Nintendo WiFi?

The name is quickly growing on me, but for the record I agree that it's a totally horrible name if you're trying to attract the typical gamer.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 10:07:49 AM »
So does this mean that instead of the "Revmote," now we have the "Wemote"?

Speech impediment NOOOoooooo
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2006, 10:12:39 AM »
Yeah, choosing the system's name to be synonymous with an English pronoun is just a brilliant move.  There is basically no way for English speakers to have a conversation about the Wii without confusion.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2006, 10:21:20 AM »
This is taken from my post on Revolution Report:

Its obvious to me now that everyone at Nintendo are a bunch of Japanese queeers. No way would a striaght american come up with a name like Wii. Im sorry but 20 years of loyalty shall now cease. i will buy( maybe rent one if i can) a Revolution only to Play Metriod Prime 3. Then i will return the Rev back to the store and never look at Nintendo again.

As soon as revolution report changes its name to Wiireport i will no longer be a memebr here.

First no HD, then underpowering it, and now a sissy azz name. Jesus. its amazing how one company can screw something that had so much potential up.

Im outta here,
peace Nosferatu

When this site becomes  wiiplanet or planetwii, im outta here too. Nintendo is just a big azz joke now. Mark my words, all the love the Rev has been getting from Media and magazines will stop after this announcement. Wait and see.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2006, 10:24:47 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2006, 10:25:57 AM »
Worst. Name. Ever.

really, whate where they thinking?
being a spanish speaker, i can say that it sounds as bad in spanish as it does in english........god, what an awful name o_oU
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline thame^

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2006, 10:29:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Nosferat2
This is taken from my post on Revolution Report:

Its obvious to me now that everyone at Nintendo are a bunch of Japanese queeers. No way would a striaght american come up with a name like Wii. Im sorry but 20 years of loyalty shall now cease. i will buy( maybe rent one if i can) a Revolution only to Play Metriod Prime 3. Then i will return the Rev back to the store and never look at Nintendo again.

As soon as revolution report changes its name to Wiireport i will no longer be a memebr here.

First no HD, then underpowering it, and now a sissy azz name. Jesus. its amazing how one company can screw something that had so much potential up.

Im outta here,
peace Nosferatu

When this site becomes  wiiplanet or planetwii, im outta here too. Nintendo is just a big azz joke now. Mark my words, all the love the Rev has been getting from Media and magazines will stop after this announcement. Wait and see.

NINTENDO IS DOOOOOOOOOOMED BECAUSE I DISLIKE THE NAME OF ITS OTHERWISE INCREDIBLE NEXT CONSOLE!!!1~

drama epicentre

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »
Ugh. I feel sick. I'll still buy it, and I'll still love it, but seriously, Revolution... that's a name. I really hope this is all just some big joke.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »
Why. Just why. The name "Revolution" was 100% accepted. It sounded badass.

But now. "Wii"? There goes ANY CHANCE of main stream acceptance. "Hey guys, wanna play <insert game here> on my Wii?" Nintendo had all the right ideas, but then they do this. Why?

I hope this is a joke...
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline davidctaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:25 AM »
Ugh.  The main problem is its confusing pronunciation.  Its like that stupid VW SUV.  Toureg.  If you have to have a whole marketing campaign to explain our to pronounce something, you MIGHT should've considered a simpler name.  :-(
David Taylor
* First there was Pong.
* Then Intellivision.
* Next came my Commodore 64.
* I loved Super Mario on my old NES.
* I really liked my PS1 too.
* Ahh, but my GameCube and DS Lite rock.
* --spot reserved for Wii comment--

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »
I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am in the final name selection for what was formerly the Nintendo Revolution.

Wii?

Seriously, explain all the rationale behind the choice all you want, but that name is just a terrible, terrible fit for the American market. I can only assume that the name was picked by NCL and that NOA had nothing to do with it.

I'm absolutely stunned, shocked, and dumbfounded.

Official prediction: Gamers everywhere will go back to saying "I'm playing Nintendo." In that light, maybe this is a good move. But only in that light. In every other light, this is bowling-shoe ugly.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »
I dunno...aside from the words similarity to urination, I kinda like it.  It looks good.  Its simple.  I like the play on the pronoun, and the byline on their press release was just awesome.

Still.  Urination.  Not good.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2006, 07:24:37 AM »
The real name for Nintendo's next console is...

The new name for the console previously known as Revolution is "Wii". Pronounced "we", the name was chosen for being easily memorised, pronounceable by people all around the world, and not needing abbreviation.    

According to Game Informer's interview with Matt Atwood, Public Relations Manager for Nintendo of America (NOA), the name was chosen by a committee which included employees of both NOA and Nintendo Co. Ltd. in Japan.  Atwood also reiterates that the system will be launching in the fourth quarter of this year: "The system comes at the end of 2006 and we’re pretty confident and comfortable."    

The mysterious Nintendo statement and logo are below. Expect to find out more as E3 creeps ever closer.    

Wii    

Introducing … Wii.    

As in “we."    

While the code-name “Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.    

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.    

Wii will put people more in touch with their games … and each other. But you’re probably asking: What does the name mean?    

Wii sounds like “we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone.    

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.    

Wii has a distinctive “ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.    

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.    

So that’s Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.    

Because, it’s really not about you or me.    

It’s about Wii.    

And together, Wii will change everything.  

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »
What happened to all the comments that were in here?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »
Very good question.  I made some updates to the article to add more information, and then I noticed that all the Talkback replies had disappeared.  It must be a bug in the system that automatically posts and updates Talkback threads.  I have already reported it to our technical guys.  My apologies to everyone who posted in this thread earlier -- feel free to re-post your bitching about the name.  I don't want anyone to think this was some kind of censorship; I assure you it is a technical problem and nothing else!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
Bravo Nintendo. What an ingenius, witty name for your next console