Author Topic: Game Journalism  (Read 127534 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: The 3rd Party Wall of Shame
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
I actually have TV Show King, but I got it off of WiiWare instead of on a disc.

I want my money back...

/cry
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
Looks like Natal and Arc about to be the new dumping ground for Ubisoft to focus on.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37305/Ubisoft-plans-2010-surprises
Ubisoft plans 2010 surprises
by James Batchelor

Unannounced titles and big brand returns on the way this calendar year

Ubisoft is set to build on 2009 with a blockbuster line-up of established franchises, new IP and unique motion-sensing projects.

The publisher has highlighted Splinter Cell: Conviction, Ruse and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands as key releases for the first half of the year and promised there are several more potential hits in the works.

“With a strong line-up of great games and a commitment to pushing our franchises into the broader entertainment arena, we are confident 2010 will be a stellar year for us,” Ubisoft’s UK marketing director Murray Pannell told MCV.

Pannell conceded that this year will be “a very competitive time with most major publishers scheduling some pretty big titles.” But he remains confident that Ubisoft’s 2010 portfolio will be able hold its own, thanks to a few upcoming surprises.

He said: “We’re still to announce a number of significant titles that we know will arrive in the next 12 months, so rest assured there will be a great mix of established franchises and new IP that will hit across the range of current generation consoles.

“We are also really excited to see how we can maximise the opportunities that the new motion-sensing gaming technologies will present us later in the year.”

In December, the publisher confirmed it is currently working on ten titles for Microsoft’s Project Natal, with up to five additional projects in development for Sony’s PlayStation 3 motion controller.

Ubisoft ended last year on a high with strong sales of its blockbuster Assassin’s Creed II, which has now sold over six million copies worldwide.
Last week, the French publisher announced a follow-up will be released by the end of the year.

Ubisoft also triumphed in this week’s All Formats Chart when surprise Wii hit Just Dance became the unlikely title to end Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’s nine-week streak at No.1.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 12:32:35 AM »
I sure wish the Wii Motion Plus got that kind of support...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
Wiimote got 66 games. what more do you want?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:18 AM »
I was referring to the support they are giving Microsoft and Sony's motion-based controllers. Even five games is more than Wii Motion Plus currently has.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 03:24:43 AM »
I'm sure we'll see more and better efforts one Red Steel 2 comes out an sells rather well.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 03:37:55 AM »
EDIT: Oops, wrong thread.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 03:52:50 AM »
What criteria to you use there? Sales? Quality? Just the publisher?

I gotta check if Ubisoft was involved with Dawn of Discovery in Germany too, otherwise they'd just count as localizing it.

Anyway, third parties: A bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall (of shame) when the revolution (now called Wii) came.

I think Pro placed them on The Wall Of Shame because they were published by Ubi. Association with Ubi = shame.

If Ubi had a hand in publishing it, it went up.  I'm not being strict with region specifics.  My aim was to provide a ballpark majority snapshot of "what has this company done?" after 3 holiday seasons (plus a couple confirmed near-future titles).  The company is the object of shame, not the titles per se (you'll plentifully pass judgement on your own).

The individual collections are evidence that help illustrate the cumulative Wii history of the particular company.  You, Wii Gamer, will see the balance of Right and Wrong, various qualitative and quantitative relationships among the software, and their relationship with YOU.  YOU will reflect.  You might not like it.

I purposely arranged/scattered the box arts as an introductory game, asking You, the Wii Customer, to find instances of quality gaming and/or sincere game production.  With your eyes assaulted from various assailant art, there had to be some discomfort and difficulty in trying to identify obvious "winners" hidden in a crowd of duds. (I be easier on everyone next time)

- ANALOGY: in front of you is a barrel labeled "Ubi" filled with uniformly round, dry manure.  In this merry barrel are a bunch of "quarter-machine" capsule toys (the prizes), with similar size/shape/texture as the manure clumps (obviously, they SMELL the same too, like a company logo).  The volume ratio of capsule toys to the manure is basically the same as the ratio of "decent" games VS. "awful" games you derived from looking at the box art collection.  Your objective, Honored Contestant (a gambler, in a sense), is to stick your hand into this barrel and successfully retrieve the capsule toys BLINDFOLDED and without respiratory aides..... your trial is over, and you manage to retrieve some toys.
- THE LESSON:  You reiterate to yourself that this barrel is full of ****.  The prized toys, while of some value to you, were surrounded by ****.  The question, Dear Wii Customer, "will you do that again?"

Like I warned, Ubisoft was just the appetizer of sorts.  The very DEPTHS of your MIND may have been shock-and-awed as you glazed your virgin eyes along this album of despair, so I have to remind you that Ubisoft is NOT ALONE.  This Wall has no boundaries and will spare no resources.  (but i'm allowed to be lazy)

Good Googly Moogly!! I hope you didn't put that whole picture together yourself, but if you did, I'm glad you did it.

Activision is next, but I hope EA is after that. I'm not sure how many people are gonna have the stomach to handle all that, and that's before even getting to people like Namco or Konami.

You do not know my sacrifice.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
~ Activision ~
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 04:32:16 AM »
Opening post has been updated with...
>> http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30478.msg581036#msg581036

~ Activision ~

Wii Gamer, are you familiar with Dante's Inferno?  Descending across Activision's top layers, you find no hope, only pain and darkness. Reaching the bottom, you bear witness to structures of fiendish design.  What you find is wrong, unjust, unnatural, and destructive to all you hold sacred -- and it suddenly pains you the world has been taking this for granted.

Browsing this collection is like being accompanied by the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come:  your stomach turns, you're filled with regret, then you ask, ``How did it come to this?  SPIRIT!  Take me back!  I can make this better!  Really, I can!"

You are too late, Wii Gamer.

Just keep thinking in your head as you peruse these titles:

"This is Nintendo's fault"
"This is my fault"

"The reason these games flopped is because I chose not to be fooled by knockoffs"
"The reason these games flopped is because all the casual gamers are hardcore Nintendo fans"

"Publishers are totally justified in insulting me for these games not selling"
"I wanted these games"
"This is all my fault"

"Nintendo pointed a gun at the CEO's head and forced them to make these games at gunpoint"
"Nintendo never gave them a chance"
"Nintendo should've marketed these games; the public deserved to know"

If you need more time to reflect, take it.  You are responsible for your own penance.  When you're finished, you may proceed below.

Here is the Progression of Events of 3rd Party Excuses (PE3PE).  Study it well, and this knowledge will be your sword.

2006 - Nintendo included a free game with their console!  Our ripoffs won't sell now!  Boo!
2007 - This Wii is just a fad, people only bought it for Nintendo games and casual games.
2008 - Nintendo makes too many games!  How can we compete against Mario Kart Wii, SSBB, Wii Fit...
2009 - Nintendo doesn't make enough games!  How do we know what to rip off?
2010 - Wii, despite shattering sales records, is not a viable console for casual games.

Coming Soon...

~ Electronic Arts ~
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 04:46:46 AM »
Oh Activision is downright scurrilous.  Look at the Wii sports Knockoffs Big League Sports.  Notice how the package is made to resemble Wii Sports almost exactly, even using the D-Pad as a "T."  I guess it shows Wii owners aren't a bunch of idiots who could be fooled that easily.

Another thing to see about Activision is that, they do have quite a few good games in there.  But just many, many more bad ones.  and this affects public perception.

Also note a few trends these third parties follow:

1. Games about dogs or animals.
2. Games about being a veterinarian.
3. At least one game based on a TV series that really doesn't make sense (Grey's Anatomy?  iCarly?)
4. One out of genre spinoff of a major series.
5. At least one game with a "Z" replacing an "S" for a plural nouns.

And none of these were accepted.  At least not as much as Nintendo's games.

And if you think Big League Sports was a ripoff cover, check out Madagascar Kartz and Mario Kart boxes.

What a shameless attempt at a con, and one that didn't fool anybody.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:54:59 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 04:52:54 AM »
I have... 5 Ativision games. Actually, that five doesn't feel like a lot for some reason.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 04:54:20 AM »
Oh Activision is downright scurrilous.  Look at the Wii sports Knockoffs Big League Sports.  Notice how the package is made to resemble Wii Sports almost exactly, even using the D-Pad as a "T."  I guess it shows Wii owners aren't a bunch of idiots who could be fooled that easily.

It doesn't even look remotely like my Wii Sports box...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 04:58:33 AM »
If you take away the game screens on the Wii Sports box, it's quite similar.  And it's also very similar to the Wii Sports badge on the Wii box itself.  Activision was hoping for some confused people to think "Is this the Wii sports game everybody's talking about?" (being general about "wii sports game")  Thankfully, nobody bit, but that didn't stop them from grinding out more.

And there's also the infamous Monkey Mischief (Party Time).  Who the hell at Activision thought this crap was a good idea?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:02:19 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 06:01:27 AM »
Ahh, I get it. Mario = the Lion, and Luigi = the Zebra.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:34 PM »
Activision was hoping for some confused people to think "Is this the Wii sports game everybody's talking about?"

Considering Wii Sports is a pack-in I think most people who buy Wii games will know what the real Wii Sports looks like because they already own it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
That's, what, 77 games? Is it sad that I am only interested in/own 6 total from that list? Activision is worse than Ubisoft. Ubi=7/66 Activision=6/77. Sad.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
How exactly is this a "3rd Party Wall of Shame" when there are actually good games from both Ubisoft and Activision in those images?  I don't see that it matters much if Ubisoft created or localized some of those games.  We still wouldn't have them if they didn't bring them over.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
I think Pro's trying to arguw that the negatives far outweigh the positives, and that we should compare the promises of third party support with their overall release portfolios.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »
How exactly is this a "3rd Party Wall of Shame" when there are actually good games from both Ubisoft and Activision in those images?  I don't see that it matters much if Ubisoft created or localized some of those games.  We still wouldn't have them if they didn't bring them over.

Pro's point is that you have to wade through a barrel of **** to find the juicy morsels worth playing.
My Game Collection

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
Activision was hoping for some confused people to think "Is this the Wii sports game everybody's talking about?"

Considering Wii Sports is a pack-in I think most people who buy Wii games will know what the real Wii Sports looks like because they already own it.

I suppose there could have been some confusion when they bought the Wii in the first place.

I'm pretty sure the only Activision Wii games I own are some of the Guitar Hero games.  This actually comes as a surprise to me.  What an educational public service this is turning into.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »

Pro's point is that you have to wade through a barrel of **** to find the juicy morsels worth playing.

But that's true of EVERYTHING in life!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »

But that's true of EVERYTHING in life!

I believe the exact quote is "90% of EVERYTHING is crap!" (Sturgeon's Law)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »

It shows you what those companies do with their brand name.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »

I know this has been answered 3 times already (pro addressed this question once before) but it's shameful that 3rd parties would release half of the crap they do on the Wii and then blame the consumer for not buying it and the Wii for not making it a big seller.

But was there really 9 Hero games in the last 3 years!!? 7 of then Guitar!? no wonder the music genre is not doing as well as it used to. That's more than 1 game every 6 months that plays exactly like the last one only with a new track list. That's ridiculous.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Wow.. more deer hunting games than Tony Hawk.

Wii got Crystal Chronicle'd on a whole new level.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.