Author Topic: Syndicate  (Read 3679 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Syndicate
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
If you have a PS3 or Xbox, download the demo and lets play. This is a great game that emphasizes team work and upgrading skills and weapons. Only one map and 2 difficulty levels, but I've been addicted to it. You also max out at level 10.

Offline Kirbyo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Syndicate
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
Yeah it is so amazing game and i was not familiar with this game before  but when i checked the trailer i become a fan of this game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »
I just did a Reader Review on this game yesterday.  Overall, I have issues with how weak the story is in the SP campaign and I despise how small the text is (it's pretty much unreadable for me), but I like the game overall.  I actually put a good 6 or so hours into the Online Co-op last night and had a lot of fun.  It's a very well-thought-out mode with a heavier emphasis on teamwork than I usually see in Co-op modes.  No matter how skilled you are at firing a gun, you can be essential to your team.  For instance, I play a Support class, so I'm hanging around the back of the group sniping enemies with my Sniper Rifle, throwing buffs on my team, and healing/reviving folks when needed.  It's a pity the mode only has 9 maps, and the netcode is pretty terrible (if you're a member of a Syndicate like I am, prepare yourself for frequent 5 second freezes as the game updates the stats of your fellow members).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »
Is it an isometric tactile shooter? Too bad.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
Is it an isometric tactile shooter? Too bad.

If it were an isometric turn-based strategy game like the original Syndicate, it would also sell perhaps a couple thousand copies between the few left who remember the original game from 19 years ago.  The move to a new genre for a new generation that hadn't played the original Syndicate was necessary.  If the game does well in its current form (and I hope it does, because it's well-made), maybe it can expand back out into other genres again. 

That's why I have to question the decision to fast-track an XCOM Strategy game ahead of the FPS reboot due to the internet outrage of maybe dozens of people: it will sell to the series diehards that still remember the original, and that's it.  I'd hate it if the more accessible game was shot down because the one made for the whining diehard fans failed.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:48:56 PM »
Accessibility is about the worst thing to happen to any industry. Once it becomes the target, only the lowest common denominator is catered toward.

That said, I don't know why they would even use the Syndicate (and XCOM) names. Neither have particularly unique settings. The names themselves aren't going to carry any weight with today's typical gamer... y'know... low IQ, under 20 years of age, doesn't know anything even existed before the PS2 and Xbox.

Why not just call the game "Sci-Fi Shooter #2,435"? Why dredge up the Syndicate name if you're not actually going to do a Syndicate game?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
It is a pity that there is only 9 maps, but at least there are 3 levels of difficulty, and you are rewarded for playing through all 3. Too bad that after 3 times of playing, there isn't much reason to go back. Maybe a bit for beating a previous score.

I imagine additional maps can be DLC, along with new abilities and weapons. Even additional tweaks to existing maps to provide a more random encounter would be welcome.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:46:01 AM »
Well, I'm pretty close to being done with this game.  I've probably dropped over 20-25 hours into that Co-Op Mode, and I have most of the Challenges complete.  I wrapped-up all the kill-related ones today before the servers were slowly taken down around 7 PM, and thento same Syndicate as me that's willing to die and revive a lot, I'll clear the remaining challenges to get 100% in Co-Op and a well-deserved 55th Platinum trophy.  Considering I never expected to dump this much time into this game, let alone try to get all the trophies after looking at the list, I'm pretty pleased with my efforts.  It'll be nice to finally move on to a different game after 1.5 weeks of concentrated Syndicate play, though.

Why not just call the game "Sci-Fi Shooter #2,435"? Why dredge up the Syndicate name if you're not actually going to do a Syndicate game?

I suppose it depends on what your definition of a "Syndicate game" is.  Fallout 3 is certainly a Fallout game despite changing to a completely different genre from Fallouts 1-2.  And I can certainly say that I would never have played Fallout 3 if it hadn't moved to a style I actually enjoy playing. 

Syndicate seems to get the whole "world dominated by evil corporations constantly assaulting each other with cyborg agents that can enslave people with the internet" thing pretty well.  The story's weak, which is unfortunate, but I thought Starbreeze did a fantastic job on the atmosphere and setting (and the integration of the 1st person perspective is particularly well-done).  It's just a pity the game doesn't really do much with it in SP.  The Co-Op is fantastic, though.  It's probably only second only to Portal 2's, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:49:41 AM by broodwars »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
I suppose it depends on what your definition of a "Syndicate game" is.  Fallout 3 is certainly a Fallout game despite changing to a completely different genre from Fallouts 1-2.  And I can certainly say that I would never have played Fallout 3 if it hadn't moved to a style I actually enjoy playing. 

Actually, I always thought that Fallout 3 was way off in tone and style from the previous entries in the series. New Vegas actually felt a lot more akin to the older games in spirit. I don't think that Syndicate has as distinctive of a personality as Fallout however. The genre shift doesn't help it help it become a better Syndicate title. If anything, it undermines a lot of the tactile thinking that was present before.

At least there is a real version of XCOM coming to soften the blow of that... other one.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:47:32 PM by Morari »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Syndicate Platinum GET! (#55).  I had a good time, but now I can get rid of the game so I can get Silent Hill Downpour next week.