Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Coming to PAL VC on Friday  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Super Smash Bros. Coming to PAL VC on Friday
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »
See where all the fighting between Nintendo's elite began for 1000 Nintendo Points.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18840

Nintendo has announced that Super Smash Bros., the original four player crossover fighter for Nintendo 64, will be coming to the PAL Wii Shop Channel this week as part of its Friday update.    

Unlike its release for the Japanese Virtual Console back in January at a price of 1200 Nintendo Points, Super Smash Bros. will not carry a premium in Europe and Australia. Instead, it will cost the standard 1000 Nintendo points for an N64 title. It is the third N64 release of 2009 for the PAL Virtual Console, following Mario Golf 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.    

Also available to download on Wii this week will be Cocoto Platform Jumper (700 Nintendo Points), a WiiWare conversion of the 2004 PlayStation 2 retail game. For the DSi, there is Asphalt 4: Elite Racing (800 Nintendo Points) from Gameloft, and Hudson Soft's Sudoku 150! For Challengers (500 Nintendo Points).

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Super Smash Bros. Coming to PAL VC on Friday
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
I hope they don't pull the same crap they did with Majora's Mask and make us wait over a month to get it. I miss the days when all 3 regions would get a N64 game in the same week.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »
I think I'll pick this up when it makes its way to America.

Gamecube controller and the smoother framerate should make this game even better.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »
Meh, what's SSB good for when we've got Brawl?

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »

Being playable.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
My Wii runs dual layer discs just fine.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »

That's pretty much my opinion on the matter as well.  Brawl and Melee have so vastly improved upon what the original started while still being essentially the same game that I don't see the point in having the original on the VC.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
The original is much more suspenseful since it's so damn slow, and people do like that.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
special brawl -> speed -> slow

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
smoother framerate should make this game even better.
Interesting. Will the framerate really be fixed so that the 4-player mode runs as smoothly as when there are two players? If that's true then I might consider -- NO, what I am saying? Can't do it.

Better stages, better balance, better flow, more depth, less cheapness, etc.
Despite that the three games seem similar on the surface they are actually quite different.

Records aren't saved when you play Special Melee/Brawl plus slo-mo is twice as slow as the original SSB.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 03:30:07 AM »
Better stages, better balance, better flow, more depth, less cheapness, etc.
Despite that the three games seem similar on the surface they are actually quite different.

I don't think I've played any match that had anyone go beyond "hit people with random attacks".

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 06:27:26 AM »
Competition hard to find?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 07:39:47 AM »
Yeah. All my friends were PC gamers and only one of them could even tolerate SSBM.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »
That is why Sakurai (and many SSB gamers) want a deeper single player in the game. Sakurai knows that there are a lot of people who like the game but don't have anyone to play against and it can get boring facing the computer over and over.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 11:13:21 AM »
That is why Sakurai (and many SSB gamers) want a deeper single player in the game. Sakurai knows that there are a lot of people who like the game but don't have anyone to play against and it can get boring facing the computer over and over.
Sorry, but Sakurai and fans should not get what they want after that cluster-**** that was Subspace Emissary.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
Sorry, but Sakurai and fans should not get what they want after that cluster-**** that was Subspace Emissary.

I don't know about that.  There were really 2 big problems with Subspace Emissary: the generic (and increasingly cheap) enemies and the whole maze thing at the end.  Otherwise, I moderately enjoyed it, especially the cutscenes.

Whatever Subspace Emissary's flaws, it's still leagues better than the lame "Classic" Mode that was all the original game had and the incredibly short "Adventure" Mode in Melee.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »
I think the Smash Bros physics are simply unsuitable for a regular platforming level. I also think crossovers, especially the every-franchise-you-can-think-of type should NEVER try to have a story make sense of that crossover.

Anyway, that's enough about Brawl, what I really want is some good WiiWare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 03:28:35 PM »
I don't think I've played any match that had anyone go beyond "hit people with random attacks".
That could be said of any fighting game really.

Sakurai knows that there are a lot of people who like the game but don't have anyone to play against and it can get boring facing the computer over and over.
I have my doubts about that. The people on the Internet represent an infinitesimal percent of the people who own any of the Smash Brothers games and are the type of people who complain about everything. Almost everyone who bought the game did so because it's a multiplayer game and likely don't care about the lack of single-player modes.

It makes no sense to demand a good single-player mode in a multiplayer game. Somehow the Mario Party series manages to sell well without one. The Subspace Emissary was decent, but "decent" is not good enough when it comes to what should have been one of the best games of 2008.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
That could be said of any fighting game really.

Yeah, I'm just saying I prefer fighting games that are fun at a low skill level over ones that favour high skill levels.

I have my doubts about that. The people on the Internet represent an infinitesimal percent of the people who own any of the Smash Brothers games and are the type of people who complain about everything. Almost everyone who bought the game did so because it's a multiplayer game and likely don't care about the lack of single-player modes.

Yeah, yeah, I already regret that impulse purchase considering what else I could've gotten for 30€...

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
Records aren't saved when you play Special Melee/Brawl plus slo-mo is twice as slow as the original SSB.

I'm pretty sure that Brawl does save records for Special Brawl. I thought that was changed because of complaints that Melee didn't. It was a pity that Brawl's records feature still wasn't as good as Melee's.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
Well, perhaps I should clarify. Individual records aren't saved when you play Special Melee/Brawl, only general records. It will still count toward your total playtime and match counter, but it doesn't count toward the character and name records.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 09:44:14 PM »
Speaking of records, I was pissed when they changed Brawl records to only records human actions. Melee counted KO's and Falls from computer opponents, but Brawl only count actions done by human players.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was odd. Especially since actions done by computer characters still count toward human characters, so the records will show more falls than KO's for anyone who uses CPU players.

They also changed the self-destruct record. It will only count as a self-destruct if you are KO'd without ever getting hit by someone else. Otherwise, it will count as a KO for whoever touched you last, no matter how much time has passed since then. It's pretty annoying for somebody such as myself who gets KO'd a lot by the stage environment and my own recklessness. In the original and Melee about half of my total falls are self-destructs.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 11:29:04 AM »

I don't know about that.  There were really 2 big problems with Subspace Emissary: the generic (and increasingly cheap) enemies and the whole maze thing at the end.  Otherwise, I moderately enjoyed it, especially the cutscenes.

Whatever Subspace Emissary's flaws, it's still leagues better than the lame "Classic" Mode that was all the original game had and the incredibly short "Adventure" Mode in Melee.
I thought I was watching a fan fiction by Sakurai. =/
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
And why didn't we get this yet? Maybe tomorrow. I havn't played the original since Melee.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf