Author Topic: Wii U Gamepad A button not working (updated 1/18/2016)  (Read 6321 times)

Offline IssunZX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wii U Gamepad A button not working (updated 1/18/2016)
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:26:38 AM »
So... this just happened.

I play my Wii U pretty regularly, and I've been playing it pretty much daily (and for fairly long sessions) since Xenoblade X came out. Today everything seemed fine, played normally. Then I boot up my system much later for another session and the A button isn't responsive at all now!  I checked Nintendo's support website for troubleshooting, I tried rebooting my system a couple times, nothing. It's a three year old system and I've never once had an issue with it, so this really bugs me.

I do plan on calling Nintendo tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem? I've never had an issue with a Nintendo product like this before, and I wanted to know what experience others have had. Were you able to fix it without having to send your Gamepad in? I'm a little worried about doing that, and I don't want Nintendo to send me something refurbished should it come down to that (and more importantly end up paying for something refurbished when I sent my own controller in for repairs).

Thanks!

EDIT: Seems the problem fixed itself before I was about to call Nintendo. Hopefully it stays that way. I'm still not even sure what happened or why it was unresponsive in the first place. The controller is clean, and the button felt like it pressed normally.

Update 01/18/2016: Sooo it's happening on and off now. For whatever reason the A button would stop responding when headphones were plugged in sometimes, and NOW the button randomly gave out during gameplay. Currently, it's not working, but I assume it'll start again after I lay off the gamepad for a bit, but I otherwise got a few days out of it again after that first time. I'm still not sure why this is happening, or if it's just simple wear and tear (it being the most used button across most games I play and all), but it's kind of annoying since I don't think I've had a controller do this to me before.

Not really looking forward to making that phone call...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:33:19 AM by Wino »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Gamepad A button not working (updated 1/18/2016)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »
It could just be dust or dirt that's gotten under the button. I haven't cleaned one myself, but there should be some cleaning guides out there you could follow.

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:02:23 PM »
Keep us updated on this!  I was actually going to ask a similar question.  Although, my 3 year old is the reason for my Gamepad concerns.  The dude pushed the left analog stick down into the Gamepad. I pulled it back up, but now there's something loose in there and when you move the stick in circles it kind of grinds.

I'm considering sending it off to Nintendo, but I have no idea how much they may charge.  Buying a used Gamepad on Amazon is like 200 bucks!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
Looks like we need a kickstarter for Gamepad replacement parts as well.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
I entered this topic because the title on the main forum page read, "Wii U Gamepad A butt..."

Leaving disappointed.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
That's ok. I don't think anyone ever leaves this forum satisfied. Boom. Still got it.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
You never lost it, my friend.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 05:31:07 PM »
Awwwwww.

Respect.